This^
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike
This^
ditto...
Jul 21, 2019, 07:21 PM
Have tried all kinds of plan covers and this has been very good. It's a clear transparent wrap from Michaels craft store. Resists CA, aliphatic and cellulose glues. It's easy to get and cheap (100' for $12). Here's the link: https://www.michaels.com/celebrate-i...#jmp-view-desc
Make sure you get the NON cellophane roll.
Norm
Jul 21, 2019, 08:18 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
I have two large rolls of " doculam " so i use sheets of that for plan protectors. Seems to work well for me....

Best regards,

jeff
Jul 21, 2019, 09:37 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
This stuff is very good. General Use Plastic sheet, 3 metre's wide, will cover any model you can think of....$5 a lineal metre at Clark Rubber (Australian Supplier) I imagine Home Depot would have the same stuff. The heavier grade of it is also GREAT for covering models in the rain. Sturdier than a tarpauline, and lighter than canvas or hessian. Also great for lining the radio compartment in RC boats....silicon sticks to it like poop on a blanket....and it heat molds really well too. Unsure if it's fuel proof, but you could melt weld a passable bladder tank from it aswell if it's gasolione and nitro stable. Very handy stuff to have in the supply cupboard....
Jul 21, 2019, 11:11 PM
Thread OP
Great ideas! Theres a Michaels near my house and the 40”x100’ roll would be perfect.
Doculam is kind of pricey, but some guys use it to cover their planes as it takes paint well and is cheaper than covering.
The plastic wrap, general use plastic, from Home Depot is also a good idea and cheap, I think the 1.5mm or 2mm would work.

Since I use magnets I was shying away from wax paper and parchment as the magnets may tear the paper when sliding them. I am interested in the plastic wrap from Michaels, it may be the solution.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:39 AM
A number of years ago rich Uravitch turned me on to dry cleaner bags. You can build a stick tail structure on it with CA and pop it off without tearing the plastic bag. It is miraculous stuff for our use. One day when i was taking my trash from my desk to the dumpster at my previous workplace I realized the cheap/thin trashbags at work appeared to be the same material. Tested and confirmed, so a got a roll of them at work (two employers ago, and i still have a lifetime supply but the other employers use the same type bags, so they are very common).
Latest blog entry: blog
Jul 22, 2019, 09:15 AM
Thread OP
I heard about the trash bags too, I may try a few from work for fun.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:04 AM
A man with a plan
Another Monokote backing user here. The trick is that you have to build a large plane first, and save the plastic from the wings. Then you can use this plastic on your plans for several builds. Sooner or later you build another big plane, and save the wing plastic. I've been doing this for years and I currently have over a dozen sheets large enough to build planes on. If the plane is too big to be covered by one piece, use two sheets with an overlap in the middle.
Jul 22, 2019, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
I went to Michaels and bought some transparent wrap for $13 including tax. It is 40" x 100' ! That should last a while as my table is 36"x72" and this stuff seems to be very durable plus thin, so it shouldn't interfere with the magnetic holding power of my magnets. I wont be able to test it for a while though as I'm in the middle of covering and finishing an Extra 300s build. Next up on the table is a 1/4 scale Sig clipped wing cub and I will test it on that.
Jul 22, 2019, 04:14 PM
Whatever they've done to wax paper no longer works with ca. The glue bonds directly to wax paper.
I've read the formula for the 'wax" has been changed thanks to our great overseers in Washington.
From now on I'm going to use plastic sheeting/visqueen.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhk750
Doculam is kind of pricey, but some guys use it to cover their planes as it takes paint well and is cheaper than covering.
No.. cheap Doculam Does Not take paint well.. Despite bleats to the contrary.
Try it and See
That said a 'protector' for plans Isn't something I lose sleep over.
Kitchen film or Wax paper have worked to MY expectations for several 'Decades'.

Quick Reply