Jul 18, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

question for all you super kaos fans out there

A friend of mine gave me a Bridi super Kaos kit. It's missing the canopy, ribs, landing gear, plans, instructions, 1 wooden motor mount rail, and I don't know what else. So no big deal. I can scratch that stuff up. I've got a set of plans but they are for the GREAT PLANES Super Kaos. I'm thinking I can't build this Bridi kit off the Great Planes plans. I know I can download the Bridi plans from Outerzone but the cost of the plans plus the fact that a lot of the wood in this kit is oak instead of balsa is causing me to wonder if it's worth it to try to proceed or do something else with it.

Anybody care to comment?

carl
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 11:52 AM
The "oak" vs balsa comment is the most concerning to me...nobody wants a lead sled. If you're set on a Super Kaos I think it would be better to just pick up a short kit from Eureka that will have very good quality wood (they also offer a full kit for the Super K). There's are bound to be other sources as well, Balsaworkbench on RCG, Lazer works, etc.

I had a similar situation just this month with an orange box Bridi Kaos kit picked up off RCG, the plans included were for the Great Planes version, not Bridi's.
I thought no big deal, nice to have a clean set of plans but immediately when I started building saw issues. On the Kaos, Great Planes Kaos plans they changed the wing attach from dowels in front & bolts in back to 4 bolts, and changed the built up and sheeted stab to solid balsa version. The Fin & Rudder were also bigger by quite a bit on the GP plans. I ended up just getting Bridi plans off Outerzone (Hemikiller on RCG will print them for you at very fair prices) and have built the model from the plans it should have come with. The wood in my Bridi kit was actually pretty good, I replaced the top sheet with contest balsa as it was "oaky" but otherwise all was good.

Not sure on the Super Kaos Bridi vs Great Planes of the difference but I would bet Outerzone has both to compare.
Jul 18, 2019, 12:43 PM
KC4JAJ
carlgrover - orignial RCM Super Kaos plans are here - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5523 However, in your case I'd follow Lowrider1960's advise and get a Eureka kit or a short kit.

Lowrider1960 - Original RCM Kaos plans are here - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=6251

Jim
Jul 18, 2019, 12:50 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
A friend of mine gave me a Bridi super Kaos kit. It's missing the canopy, ribs, landing gear, plans, instructions, 1 wooden motor mount rail, and I don't know what else. So no big deal. I can scratch that stuff up. I've got a set of plans but they are for the GREAT PLANES Super Kaos. I'm thinking I can't build this Bridi kit off the Great Planes plans. I know I can download the Bridi plans from Outerzone but the cost of the plans plus the fact that a lot of the wood in this kit is oak instead of balsa is causing me to wonder if it's worth it to try to proceed or do something else with it.

Anybody care to comment?

carl
You can get canopy from Parkflyer plastic or use any generic canopy. The canopy for a Kaos is not some special custom fitted item. Ribs can be bought from any laser cutting service or you can cut your own from the plans. You can get some 5/32" piano wire and bend your own landing gear. Download the plans from Outerzone as you said. It is free. I don't understand what you meant by cost of the plans. If you have to worry about spending $15 to get a plan printed up maybe model airplane building is really not in your budget. Glue can cost more not to mention servos and wheels and engines and hinges..........

Now comes the most head scratching comment you made. Why would some one build a kit made out of OAK. I can see using some birch ply. Maybe Poplar ply. Some Maple hardware rails for engine and landing gear but OAK? Where does the OAK go and how much OAK are you using?

Besides the so called kit was given to you for FREE. Build it if your skill allows you to complete the kit or throw it in the trash if the additional cost to complete the plane is to much.

I don't understand how anyone can expect to get away "cheap" with building and flying model airplanes. Let alone a pattern plane. Of course this statement is going to bring out all kinds of comments about how some one can build a plane for $30 and I am such a snob for making the statement. However most people only like to look at things on what they see and never the whole picture. No I don't have deep pockets. I struggle to remain in this hobby but it is simply a matter of priorities. A trade off in life. One less beer for a set of hinges.

I just bought a very cheap Bridi XLT "ready to fly". I am approaching the $1,000 mark in trying to get this "ready to fly" plane in the air PROPERLY!!!. There is a cost associated with everything. Either in direct costs or opportunity costs.
Jul 18, 2019, 12:51 PM
KC4JAJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
You can get canopy from Parkflyer plastic or use any generic canopy. The canopy for a Kaos is not some special custom fitted item. Ribs can be bought from any laser cutting service or you can cut your own from the plans. You can get some 5/32" piano wire and bend your own landing gear. Download the plans from Outerzone as you said. It is free. I don't understand what you meant by cost of the plans. If you have to worry about spending $15 to get a plan printed up maybe model airplane building is really not in your budget. Glue can cost more not to mention servos and wheels and engines and hinges..........

Now comes the most head scratching comment you made. Why would some one build a kit made out of OAK. I can see using some birch ply. Maybe Poplar ply. Some Maple hardware rails for engine and landing gear but OAK? Where does the OAK go and how much OAK are you using?

Besides the so called kit was given to you for FREE. Build it if your skill allows you to complete the kit or throw it in the trash if the additional cost to complete the plane is to much.

I don't understand how anyone can expect to get away "cheap" with building and flying model airplanes. Let alone a pattern plane. Of course this statement is going to bring out all kinds of comments about how some one can build a plane for $30 and I am such a snob for making the statement. However most people only like to look at things on what they see and never the whole picture. No I don't have deep pockets. I struggle to remain in this hobby but it is simply a matter of priorities. A trade off in life. One less beer for a set of hinges.

I just bought a very cheap Bridi XLT "ready to fly". I am approaching the $1,000 mark in trying to get this "ready to fly" plane in the air PROPERLY!!!. There is a cost associated with everything. Either in direct costs or opportunity costs.
I think that "OAK" is a reference to the incredibly heavy balsa Joe Bridi used in many his kits.

Jim
Jul 18, 2019, 12:52 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Johns
"OAK" is a reference to the incredibly heavy balsa Joe Bridi used in his kits.

Jim
I hope so because that was puzzling. I would simply use my own wood. That's why I like short kits. I get the important pieces and can supply my own on the rest.
Jul 18, 2019, 01:44 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Guys,

I will have the Laser Cut USA Super Kaos 60 short kits in stock shortly. They will feature the correct canopy.

Leo
Ballistic Aircraft Company, LLC
Jul 18, 2019, 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattern one
Guys,

I will have the Laser Cut USA Super Kaos 60 short kits in stock shortly. They will feature the correct canopy.

Leo
Leo,

Are there plans for a Laser Cut USA Dirty Birdy at some point? I would be all over a couple of those

Scott Wallace
Jul 18, 2019, 04:27 PM
www.rcmissouri.com
Scott,

I believe the DB 60 is available. Will check on it and send you a PM

Leo
Jul 18, 2019, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
I can only speak for myself when I say I agree with your comments, from start to finish. I don't think your a snob. As a matter of fact, all of the "questions" that sprung into your mind, sprung into my mind too. I bet others wondered some of the same things. Your just the only one to come out and say them.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:13 PM
AMA 46133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC YEAGER
I can only speak for myself when I say I agree with your comments, from start to finish. I don't think your a snob. As a matter of fact, all of the "questions" that sprung into your mind, sprung into my mind too. I bet others wondered some of the same things. Your just the only one to come out and say them.
Unfortunately my "bluntness" gets me in trouble a lot. I am not politically correct enough.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:46 AM
Thread OP
I enjoyed the comments. It's true I'm a cheapskate. However; I wasn't thrilled with the comments about my building ability. I'll let that pass since we all don't fly at the same field and no one has seen my planes. I'm a little tepid on this project because i'm not really in love with the plane so I thought I'd post something up to see if it would sway me one way or the other. Not buying a short kit. I can make what I need. My oak comment was based on nothing more than the weight of the balsa. The comments about the use of oak as a building material were unnecessary and a little caustic but again, i'll let it pass.

I appreciate the information about the Great Planes plans vs. Bridi. It was pretty much what I was expecting.

I think I'm going to sit on this project for a while. We all know how long it takes to build a plane and the older we get, the more picky we should be about what we build.

carl
Jul 19, 2019, 12:16 PM
AMA 46133
>> I wasn't thrilled with the comments about my building ability. I'll let that pass since we all don't fly at the same field and no one has seen my planes. <<

Sorry if this is directed at me. I had absolutely no intention of judging your building skills. I said build it if your skill allows you to complete the kit. That was simply said as it implied. Nothing about your skills. "If you have the skills" simply meant as a qualifier. The reason is I don't know your skills and there are many hobbyists in this hobby nowadays of all age and skills. Some are extremely talented and like to build and some simply wants to buy ready to fly.

Any version of the Kaos is probably the most generic pattern plane like an Ugly Stick as a sport flyer. The Kaos is typically very easy to build and flies very well as a whole. Of course not as groovy as some other designs. I don't see an y reason NOT to build personally. It has a very simple box fuselage and probably one of the fastest plane to build. Yes I understand the Bridi kit has heavy wood but I would just replace them and you get a good flying plane. Of course if you don't like a Kaos then no reason to build it.

Quick Reply