Jul 18, 2019, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Question

CF veil strength

My LHS is carrying this product. Wondering how it would compare strength wise,for repairs, to a 2 oz cloth.
Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by Gratter; Jul 20, 2019 at 12:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 09:34 AM
Scott
I have a little experience with an ultra light surfacing veil like that one. It will add a limited amount of surface hardness to balsa (I used it on a sheeted foam wing), but no structural strength to speak of. Consider it roughly equal in strength to .25 ounce fiberglass cloth.

Scott
Jul 20, 2019, 08:14 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Soaks up epoxy like you can't believe and adds little strength. I'm not sure what I'd ever use that for.
Curtis
Jul 20, 2019, 02:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
Soaks up epoxy like you can't believe and adds little strength. I'm not sure what I'd ever use that for.
Curtis
Usage is a good question. Any one have suggestions on how a material like this could be used?
Jul 20, 2019, 02:32 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Many C/L stunt guys use it in place of silkspan to cover wood parts.
Applied with dope, then finish proceeds as if it was silkspan.
Jul 20, 2019, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gratter
Usage is a good question. Any one have suggestions on how a material like this could be used?
The manufacturers recommend it for color, electrical conductivity, and a degree of stiffness.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:54 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
i have bought 2gr/m2 that was recomended for stiffening up depron. i do not intend to use it for that. Spray glue it to other fabrics to not disturb the weave perhaps ?
Jul 22, 2019, 11:04 AM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
It can work well for a light layer on top of heavier woven materials to prevent print through, or at least reduce it greatly. I wouldn't suggest using it structurally. It provides about the same effect there as a fresh sharpie marker.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:33 PM
Scott
Come on Tom, the resin alone will provide some surface hardness.....

Scott
Jul 22, 2019, 08:37 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
OMG I am not taking that bait
Jul 22, 2019, 10:18 PM
Scott
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom43004
omg i am not taking that bait

Scott
Jul 28, 2019, 08:49 PM
One Idiot is plenty...
I can give You a hint how to use it .
I bet You know that certain medications gain different strength level being combined with the other ones.....
In my composite shop this is a "MUST HAVE" material .
Yuri
Jul 30, 2019, 09:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbox
I can give You a hint how to use it .
I bet You know that certain medications gain different strength level being combined with the other ones.....
In my composite shop this is a "MUST HAVE" material .
Yuri
Have to expand on this statement.

Quick Reply