Jul 21, 2019, 02:32 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Read-write is insanely different.

But sure, if you're playing older games, fooling around on the internet, and checking email not much difference will be noticed.

What surprises me about his video. . is if he is aware of his customer's PC use, why the is he installing expensive components?
Jul 22, 2019, 01:31 AM
Redbilly Band Member
Almost got it!
Jul 22, 2019, 01:41 AM
Redbilly Band Member
Is fail mission. I am shocked. Shocked I tell you. I should flatulate in their general direction.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:36 AM
I have immunity from 1903.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Jul 22, 2019, 10:28 AM
Redbilly Band Member
It seems like I do too, I can't even get 1809. Maybe I can just skip it.
Jul 22, 2019, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
Read-write is insanely different.

But sure, if you're playing older games, fooling around on the internet, and checking email not much difference will be noticed. (deleted)
I recently switched from a 7200rpm drive to a SSD. Yes Windows starts much faster, and my programs load a little faster, but for accessing my data files I really don't notice a difference in speed between the old drive and the new.

That being said, my data files are small, mostly just a few megabytes. They are to small for me to perceive the difference in access speed between the drives. Now if I was working with large files that probably would change, but for my usage installing a NVMe would be a waste of time (and money).

That being said, my next computer will probably have a NVMe as the "C" drive, and use SSD's for the other drives.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:44 PM

1903 and me > please read to help prolong your laptop life

My older (top of the line then) HP Elitebook 840 G2 with Windows 10 Pro v 1803 has the update blocked until support ends for it in the fall. However, due to a combination of circumstances it puffed the LIPO. And had other issues caused by the cheapo used laptop place from which I bought it, now out of business: they even cheated on the receipt. I have since been dealing with an official business-only HP sales plus all-laptop repair shop (he works for large businesses here, selling and maintaining their computers).

A new LIPO would cost not much less than the used in PERFECT condition HP Elitebook 840 G3 he sold me .... WITH official HP warranty till the end of 2021 and Windows 10 Pro.

Unfortunately it had 1903 already installed and as I surmised, several annoying bugs requiring attention. Although it is outwardly similar to the G2 and so very familiar, but MS has "improved" 1903 (and cleverly REMOVED the easy Windows 10 Pro 1803 capability of DEFERRING such updates for a YEAR!) and even with the entire C drive and files transported to the "new"-er G3, it took around 20 hrs. total for me to get it all sorted out. And that includes what I now call several BSOR's .... Blue Screens Of Restart in which it gathers info from a memory dump issue and then self-restarts problemless in a moment. That happened a few times the first 2 days but so far no longer and apparently is a 1903 bug issue.

Nonetheless I am QUITE happy with it and have learned how to set up and deal with 1903 using Google!

I have kept the old G2 as a well-functioning backup, running it WITHOUT the LIPO "battery" (a battery is by definition different from a rechargeable battery, such as a LIPO).

However please read on to discover what I have gained/learned from this experience, beside the nice G3 (my friend bought a new G5 from him costing FIVE times as much as what I paid for this slightly used one .... and at a discount from what other larger retailers here charge!)

As I had suspected from the start it is VERY bad for any LIPO to fully charge and keep it between full charge and over 90%. Yet that is what Windows does. So I was independently informed by the expert owner and his expert assistant (I asked them separately) that the best way to prolong the life of the laptop as well as the LIPO is to run it almost always on the "battery" and only plug it in when it drops to say 30%, 40% or 50% and unplug it as it approaches 90% or before. Best to leave it at 30 - 40% charge, can safely be as low as 20%, with automatic warning and shutdown built into the Windows system.

I first noticed that the old G2 had been lately sometimes getting very HOT, not only by feel but by the fan RPM sound (ear on the laptop). Being unaware of the puffed LIPO, I had surmised that the Power Option Power Plan had been somehow corrupted and downloaded the default system drivers again from HP. That helped. Clearly it took even more energy to charge the puffed LIPO, making the laptop hotter and thus requiring even MORE heating energy to operate and run the fan, etc.! And thereby puff the LIPO even more! Not good ....

Now I use the battery-less plugged-in G2 when it's very hot here (to save the new one) and check the temperature on both laptops by feel and fan RPM. Amazing how much hotter it gets when using the laptop AND charging the G3 LIPO too. So if there is a process using a lot of the CPU, when possible with enough charge left in the LIPO I make sure that the G3 is UNPLUGGED and on battery only!

And so BOTH laptops are either fan-off or the lowest fan speed .... even in the heat! Of course I have a small room fan blowing on it and further boost the cooling of the old G2 by carefully wetting the non-inlet parts of the underside of the old G2 with a folded-up paper towel: the effect turns off the laptop fan in seconds! (I don't want to chance this with the G3)
Last edited by xlcrlee; Jul 22, 2019 at 05:43 PM.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:33 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Barnes
I recently switched from a 7200rpm drive to a SSD. Yes Windows starts much faster, and my programs load a little faster, but for accessing my data files I really don't notice a difference in speed between the old drive and the new.

That being said, my data files are small, mostly just a few megabytes. They are to small for me to perceive the difference in access speed between the drives. Now if I was working with large files that probably would change, but for my usage installing a NVMe would be a waste of time (and money).

That being said, my next computer will probably have a NVMe as the "C" drive, and use SSD's for the other drives.
And the NVMe card makes a lot of difference. I have the ultra-fast Samsung 960 Pro as my primary c:\ drive and a 960 EVO as a secondary OS. 90% of the time it's hard to tell the difference.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:51 PM
Free my speech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
And the NVMe card makes a lot of difference. I have the ultra-fast Samsung 960 Pro as my primary c:\ drive and a 960 EVO as a secondary OS. 90% of the time it's hard to tell the difference.
That guy has more freakish hair than Trump.

Sorry, keep posting, I'm learning.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:57 PM
Free my speech
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
My older (top of the line then) HP Elitebook 840 G2 with Windows 10 Pro v 1803 has the update blocked until support ends for it in the fall. However, due to a combination of circumstances it puffed the LIPO. And had other issues caused by the cheapo used laptop place from which I bought it, now out of business: they even cheated on the receipt. I have since been dealing with an official business-only HP sales plus all-laptop repair shop (he works for large businesses here, selling and maintaining their computers).

A new LIPO would cost not much less than the used in PERFECT condition HP Elitebook 840 G3 he sold me .... WITH official HP warranty till the end of 2021 and Windows 10 Pro.

Unfortunately it had 1903 already installed and as I surmised, several annoying bugs requiring attention. Although it is outwardly similar to the G2 and so very familiar, but MS has "improved" 1903 (and cleverly REMOVED the easy Windows 10 Pro 1803 capability of DEFERRING such updates for a YEAR!) and even with the entire C drive and files transported to the "new"-er G3, it took around 20 hrs. total for me to get it all sorted out. And that includes what I now call several BSOR's .... Blue Screens Of Restart in which it gathers info from a memory dump issue and then self-restarts problemless in a moment. That happened a few times the first 2 days but so far no longer and apparently is a 1903 bug issue.

Nonetheless I am QUITE happy with it and have learned how to set up and deal with 1903 using Google!

I have kept the old G2 as a well-functioning backup, running it WITHOUT the LIPO "battery" (a battery is by definition different from a rechargeable battery, such as a LIPO).

However please read on to discover what I have gained/learned from this experience, beside the nice G3 (my friend bought a new G5 from him costing FIVE times as much as what I paid for this slightly used one .... and at a discount from what other larger retailers here charge!)

As I had suspected from the start it is VERY bad for any LIPO to fully charge and keep it between full charge and over 90%. Yet that is what Windows does. So I was independently informed by the expert owner and his expert assistant (I asked them separately) that the best way to prolong the life of the laptop as well as the LIPO is to run it almost always on the "battery" and only plug it in when it drops to say 30%, 40% or 50% and unplug it as it approaches 90% or before. Best to leave it at 30 - 40% charge, can safely be as low as 20%, with automatic warning and shutdown built into the Windows system.

I first noticed that the old G2 had been lately sometimes getting very HOT, not only by feel but by the fan RPM sound (ear on the laptop). Being unaware of the puffed LIPO, I had surmised that the Power Option Power Plan had been somehow corrupted and downloaded the default system drivers again from HP. That helped. Clearly it took even more energy to charge the puffed LIPO, making the laptop hotter and thus requiring even MORE heating energy to operate and run the fan, etc.! And thereby puff the LIPO even more! Not good ....

Now I use the battery-less plugged-in G2 when it's very hot here (to save the new one) and check the temperature on both laptops by feel and fan RPM. Amazing how much hotter it gets when using the laptop AND charging the G3 LIPO too. So if there is a process using a lot of the CPU, when possible with enough charge left in the LIPO I make sure that the G3 is UNPLUGGED and on battery only!

And so BOTH laptops are either fan-off or the lowest fan speed .... even in the heat! Of course I have a small room fan blowing on it and further boost the cooling of the old G2 by carefully wetting the non-inlet parts of the underside of the old G2 with a folded-up paper towel: the effect turns off the laptop fan in seconds! (I don't want to chance this with the G3)
Thank you. Very nice of you to share info.

May I ask a very rudimentary question? Where do I find the update version in Win 10? Still having difficulty learning to get around in there....

Never mind, got it. It's 1903. Glad I put all my D drive on an external.
Jul 22, 2019, 08:38 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
While I have an extremely fast NVMe boot drive and very fast software processing on the EVO, my problem and advantage of capacity have grown into choosing a fast, but useful indexing option in explorer with so many drives attached. Plus I need to do a better job at managing the hierarchy of the mish-mash of SSDs and platters.

Jul 31, 2019, 03:48 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
A new video from Tech Deals explaining in detail why NVMe is a no-brainer today when considering a boot drive upgrade.

Even a year ago the price per gigabyte was still a slight extravagance for NVMe, today it is a poor choice to stay with a platter or even an older SATA SSD.

SSD Review — 8 NVMe M.2 Drives Tested — Which Should You Buy? — 2019 Edition (25 min 36 sec)
Jul 31, 2019, 07:37 PM
Good heavens, you are using Windows??

There's your problem.
Aug 01, 2019, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMan
Good heavens, you are using Windows??

There's your problem.
Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Aug 03, 2019, 10:33 PM
Redbilly Band Member
I will just be gosh darned. I took a friend to the airport and when I got back the previous name for Usta was nearly complete. 2 hours later, it was done! Shebam, now I feel like a monkeys druncle.

Quick Reply