Jul 17, 2019, 10:26 AM
Bagpipes spoken here
I applied the 1903 update and had no issues. Simply let it download overnight. Cheapo 5 year old Dell Inspiration 5447 w/8GB RAM and a 1.0 TB HDD. Nothing special and the touchpad is getting flakey.

I use a WD Personal Cloud 4TB with autosync for all my documents, photos and videos with version control. Write my system info on an accessible thumb drive. No RAID control on my WD device.

This was a Window 8.1 machine which came with the free update to WIN10. I ran Ubuntu on an older desktop for awhile.

I used to do PC/LAN management in a prior life. Don't care much for tinkering any longer. Use common sense when going online and sharing of personal info. I reset my Samsung Smart TV to avoid it reporting what we watch.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:32 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Yes, I didn't even notice the update.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:34 AM
Sink stinks
I had Windows in a virtual machine for awhile, but it was painfully slow. I finally gave up on it when one of the big updates failed repeatedly last year. I only used it for compiling and testing Xoptfoil and similar things for Windows, but now I just do that in Linux with Wine and a cross-compiler. I say ditch Windows and don't look back.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:50 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I can't see replacing Windows. It's just too broad spectrum for hardware drivers, software, and games and general compatibility without having to drill down into a compatibility layer to fix issues with other OS'.

I have a crapload, I mean a LOT of "unsupported" software that must be "tweaked" to function, and using another OS would add another layer of complexity when issues arise.
Jul 17, 2019, 10:53 AM
Sink stinks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
I can't see replacing Windows. It's just too broad spectrum for hardware drivers, software, and games and general compatibility without having to drill down into a compatibility layer to fix issues as with other OS'.

I have a crapload, I mean a LOT of "unsupported" software that must be "tweaked" to function, and using another OS would add another layer of complexity when issues arise.
Of course, if you are highly dependent on Windows software, it doesn't make much sense to switch to something else. But in most cases there are viable alternatives or the ability to run through Wine or a VM if needed. Or just dual boot, which is what I did for a couple years after I first switched to Linux. Sounds like you are actually dependent on a bunch of software that doesn't even run correctly on Windows, which isn't a great reason not to switch IMO. You'll need to find alternatives anyway once they stop working altogether.

Anyway, it's just my 2 cents. If you don't mind dealing with Windows updates and privacy nonsense, by all means keep using Windows. No OS is perfectly supported or without issues, but Linux hardware support has come a long way in the last decade. Most stuff just works now, especially if you wait to buy hardware until it's a year or two old. Software support is, of course, mostly dependent on the people who write it.

Just regarding upgrades, in Linux the situation is very dependent on the distro. Some people like to run "bleeding edge" distros like Arch that always have the latest software and update all the time. I run Slackware, which is very conservative and pretty much only gets updates for security issues during each release cycle. Regular updates, when I do run them, typically take only seconds or minutes, and very rarely require a reboot. I update only when I want to, have never experienced a failed update except for due to network issues, and have never had an update cause software incompatibilities. Compared to Windows updates, it is heaven.
Last edited by Montag DP; Jul 17, 2019 at 11:18 AM.
Jul 17, 2019, 11:41 AM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Thread OP
I suspect those not having troubles with the update are not using a D: partition/drive with "moved" folders like Pictures and Documents that are set in C:\Users\ by Windows. I'm thinking the "move" to D: freaked it out, although some of the folders on D: had nothing to do with Users.
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Jul 17, 2019 at 03:40 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Microsoft is starting to force-update Windows 10 machines from version 1803 to 1903
https://www.techspot.com/news/81005-...s-version.html
Quote:
CORPORATE BABYSITTER Microsoft cares about you and your computing experience.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...-on-stragglers
Jul 18, 2019, 04:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
I suspect those not having troubles with the update are not using a D: partition/drive with "moved" folders like Pictures and Documents that are set in C:\Users\ by Windows. I'm thinking the "move" to D: freaked it out, although some of the folders on D: had nothing to do with Users.
You may be right, but Microsoft said it's all fixed and won't happen again after 1809.
https://www.techspot.com/news/76864-...date-data.html

I add folders from my storage drive to the libraries using the "manage library" tool in file explorer and haven't had a problem.
Jul 20, 2019, 10:03 AM
Redbilly Band Member
The laptop I'm using right now has been idle for while because the task bar disappeared. I finally got around to sorting that problem yesterday, and found that the last time it was online was 10/25/18 at 7:39 PM. Perhaps unrelated, but this just happens to be the same time that the 1809 update failed to install.

I tried it again last night, and it still wouldn't install. Oh well, it seems to be working okay other than the constant reminder that I need to update.
Jul 20, 2019, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
It completely wiped my D: partition on my drive which had all my data on my laptop. Never had this happen in a Windows update. Required a re-format of the partition to make it accessible. Fortunately I do daiyt backups of the data partition but what a PIA to setup all the folders and copy from the backup.

You suck Microsoft
Daily backups. I wish I was that fastidious. I backup the computer probably 4 times a year to a portable drive, then throw it in my safe.

Luckily, all the stuff like quartely tax payments, client billing, etc. is all captured in email so I can go back and search if need be.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo
Daily backups. I wish I was that fastidious. I backup the computer probably 4 times a year to a portable drive, then throw it in my safe.

Luckily, all the stuff like quartely tax payments, client billing, etc. is all captured in email so I can go back and search if need be.
I backed up the data file for accounting software after every use to a separate hard drive or in the case of before hard drives... to a separate floppy. I used a computer for accounting for 29 years and in that time had about three computer crashes that required retrieving data from the back up.

Even though I printed hard copy of all business activity, it would have been painful to restart accounting from hard copy... and might suggest that consider the pain that might be involved in retrieving it from email.

The last several years after the business desk top computer crashed in my home office and I couldn't replace to a new operating system because no drivers were available for the dot matrix payroll check printer... I fell back to a laptop that didn't have a second hard drive. The work around was to send (via the router) the back up data to the home computer that had a newer windows platform. Again... doing so after every use of the accounting software. So... that may be an easy option for you.
Jul 21, 2019, 08:14 AM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooroo

I use SyncBackFree to do the automated daily backups of data files that are new or have changed to a NAS drive via wifi, then every few months use AOEMI Backupper to do an image of the C: drive/operating system. Both tools have saved me this year from multiple computer crashes, starting when the spouse-unit knocked my laptop off the table, resulting in its hard drive failure a few days later. It now has a SSD.

Then recently a strange 2-second power outage that happened about 3 times caused a failure in the SSD on the desktop that happened to be on when it happened, and despite it being on a surge-protecting power strip. It's now has a new SSD and is on a UPS.

And then this 1903 boondoggle....

Grrrrrrr....

Tip: if you have programs that have customized settings, like Excel, be sure to have those settings exported and stored in a data file that gets backed upped.
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Jul 21, 2019 at 09:20 AM.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:48 AM
Thanks, guys, I'll look into that.

I will say that the SSD is one of the greatest things to happen to computers. Love not having the long wait for boot up in the morning.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:12 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
If you want to go a step further, and you have an M.2 slot on your mobo, grab an NVMe SSD.

It will stun you with the speed if you're coming from a platter HD.

It will surprise you if you're coming from a SATA SSD.

Jul 21, 2019, 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
If you want to go a step further, and you have an M.2 slot on your mobo, grab an NVMe SSD.

It will stun you with the speed if you're coming from a platter HD.

It will surprise you if you're coming from a SATA SSD.

Those results are from computer testing software. The results don't necessarily transfer to real world computing.

Upgrade Your SSD To An NVME Drive For Better Performance? (4 min 35 sec)

Quick Reply