Jul 16, 2019, 05:51 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Thread OP
Discussion

Windows 1903

It completely wiped my D: partition on my drive which had all my data on my laptop. Never had this happen in a Windows update. Required a re-format of the partition to make it accessible. Fortunately I do daiyt backups of the data partition but what a PIA to setup all the folders and copy from the backup.

You suck Microsoft
Jul 16, 2019, 05:56 PM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
It completely wiped my D: partition on my drive which had all my data on my laptop. Never had this happen in a Windows update. Required a re-format of the partition to make it accessible. Fortunately I do daiyt backups of the data partition but what a PIA to setup all the folders and copy from the backup.

You suck Microsoft
First; big portable drives have never been this cheap.
Second; go LINUX MINT XFCE, you can encrypt your portable backup drives.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:06 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Thread OP
A Google search reveals this has been an issue since at least the 1809 update, which I installed without this problem.
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Jul 17, 2019 at 03:37 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:10 PM
Seriously?
Sorry man losing data sucks.

https://www.fssdev.com/
Jul 16, 2019, 06:11 PM
Suspended Account
I'm not saying you should abandon Windows, but to consider data loss as a possibility.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:13 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Quote:

You suck Microsoft
When you say "wiped" what are you referring to? Did it wipe the B-tree stuff? Overwrite? Doesn't recognize the partition structure? What happened?
Jul 16, 2019, 06:28 PM
Quote:

You suck Microsoft
I run backups and have 2 new terabyte drives on the shelf. There is no reason not to Ghost your drives and have extras on standby.
Latest blog entry: Later peeps
Jul 16, 2019, 06:33 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have three OS'. One separated. I like having an OS I can see into from another, and visa-versa. For non-catastrophic issues, it makes it a breeze to fix.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:35 PM
Alarm Bells Softening!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
When you say "wiped" what are you referring to? Did it wipe the B-tree stuff? Overwrite? Doesn't recognize the partition structure? What happened?
The D: partition was still there, name missing, all folders gone, requiring per a MS message to be re-formatted before it could be used.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWorks
I run backups and have 2 new terabyte drives on the shelf. There is no reason not to Ghost your drives and have extras on standby.
Do the same... and doing so has saved me tons of grief twice in the last year.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Do the same... and doing so has saved me tons of grief twice in the last year.
Walmart has the drives at a smokin' price, so much so I thought I should see if they might be hot.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:43 PM
I bought 2 of these.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-Blue-1...0EZEX/26819547
Jul 16, 2019, 06:44 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I once used a partition manager on a rather large already partitioned HD back around 2002, can't remember which, but it completely removed/erased all the b-tree and folder containment code. It was one massive container with EVERYthing in it. Software files, photos, docs, etc., everything was in the single root directory.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:58 PM
Seriously?
RAM drives are now so cheap I have nothing else. Even for backups.
Jul 16, 2019, 07:31 PM
You mean SSDs?
I prefer a platter HDD for backups.

Quick Reply