Thread Tools
Jul 16, 2019, 04:50 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Would they let their daughter date your son? That criterion appears to be a sharp dividing line in many insular societies, even secular ones, say like Japanese.
Not all cultures are like the southern US, we have a very multicultural society in Canada and no such problems. First generation immigrants tend to be insular (often because of language) but their children quickly adopt the surrounding culture!
Jul 16, 2019, 05:01 PM
Registered User
Peacemakr40's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Not all cultures are like the southern US, we have a very multicultural society in Canada and no such problems. First generation immigrants tend to be insular (often because of language) but their children quickly adopt the surrounding culture!
Apparently you don't know the US south too well. Might want to read up on the cultural diversity in the southern US. Hell, we even have al Qaeda training bases in Texas.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:02 PM
Figure Nine Champ
madsci_guy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
I don't know, and I don't care! It'd be something my son and their daughter would have to figure out.

And it'd certainly not be anything of your (or anyone else's) business!
It's not whether it's my business or not, it is a general indicator about how insular a particular society is.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:03 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
It's not whether it's my business or not, it is a general indicator about how insular a particular society is.
Romeo and JulietÖ the Hatfield's and McCoy's Ö saul the same.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
It's not whether it's my business or not, it is a general indicator about how insular a particular society is.
But you are asking a question that has no relevance to you (or me, very much). It's very much a 'Daily Mail' type of question, where the person asking wants confirmation of their own shock at others behaviour, it seems.

It's no difference to them chosen to marry into a vegan/Football crazy/Fitness nut family etc. They have to work it out - one way or another.
Jul 16, 2019, 06:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
First generation immigrants tend to be insular (often because of language) but their children quickly adopt the surrounding culture!
Sikhs (like many other groups) have some strong societal standards which do create an insular effect but as you say, subsequent generations tend to integrate far more than their elders.
That in itself leads to some quite vocal tensions within the Sikh community.
Oddly enough intergenerational stresses are exactly unknown in any group or family (as I know from my own experiences ) but you have to add in an element of pride in their traditional standards and that complicates things as it did with reporting of the "grooming".
Elements from both within their community and from without have acted to try and reduce the shame' that led to under-reporting of such problems and slowly there have been some significant improvements in that area but it isn't easy which is why sikh girls were often targeted by the vile scum who use grooming.

Since the 2013 video was shown reporting of these predators has been significantly improved across all communities and by members of all communities but the problems are not yet completely solved. And they are not confined either as victims or as perpetrators to any single specific group
Jul 16, 2019, 11:30 PM
Registered User
ambientech's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolan
Not all cultures are like the southern US, we have a very multicultural society in Canada and no such problems. First generation immigrants tend to be insular (often because of language) but their children quickly adopt the surrounding culture!
The most culturally diverse city in the USA is Houston Texas. Texas is the second most diverse state in the country.
Jul 17, 2019, 04:30 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
Wow
The video was originally published in 2013
Venture to guess if it is still going on?
Jul 17, 2019, 04:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientech
The most culturally diverse city in the USA is Houston Texas. Texas is the second most diverse state in the country.
What percentage are white and Hispanic? Iím betting there isnít a lot of diversity beyond that...
Jul 17, 2019, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Venture to guess if it is still going on?
That wasn't my point Dave.
There have been more recent versions and plenty of commentary on Sikh forums and newspaper coverage.

And I don't need to guess. If you look at my previous posts on the subject I think you'll find that i have stated it is still occurring.
You might also notice that I'm not happy about that at all
Jul 17, 2019, 04:50 PM
whiirrrrrr
srt8madness's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
What percentage are white and Hispanic? Iím betting there isnít a lot of diversity beyond that...
In Houston there is. We have considerably large Indian and Vietnamese populations. About a gazillion diff languages spoken. I mean it's mostly hispanics, but we're much more culturally diverse than your average lilly white UK town.
Jul 17, 2019, 05:14 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
That wasn't my point Dave.
There have been more recent versions and plenty of commentary on Sikh forums and newspaper coverage.

And I don't need to guess. If you look at my previous posts on the subject I think you'll find that i have stated it is still occurring.
You might also notice that I'm not happy about that at all
Well, what will you do about it?

Iím asking because the impression I get is that anyone who speaks out against the Groupthink is given the Tommy Robinson treatment in England,
Jul 17, 2019, 05:15 PM
You know nothing....
Stuart A's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
That wasn't my point Dave.
There have been more recent versions and plenty of commentary on Sikh forums and newspaper coverage.

And I don't need to guess. If you look at my previous posts on the subject I think you'll find that i have stated it is still occurring.
You might also notice that I'm not happy about that at all
This is the case-from my home town-that kicked off the Tommy whoever case.The authorities and communities have hopefully learnt some very painful lessons
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/all-a...-grooming-gang
Jul 17, 2019, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Well, what will you do about it?

Iím asking because the impression I get is that anyone who speaks out against the Groupthink is given the Tommy Robinson treatment in England,
The first question is easily answered. As an individual I can't actually do much unless I know it is happening here.
I can and would support any sensible and direct action by the police and can and do support action by members of community groups to tackle the problem.

The 2nd point you made is not worth my time and energy to answer
Unlike some on here I'm not interested that sort of
Jul 17, 2019, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell
Well, what will you do about it?

Iím asking because the impression I get is that anyone who speaks out against the Groupthink is given the Tommy Robinson treatment in England,
I suspect that the problem with 'impressions' is that one finds what one looks for.

And if you are a mouthy stirring thug like 'Poor ol Tommy' then you should expect 'the same treatment'. It gets my vote!


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Now boys/men who identify as young girls can now shower naked with UK girl guides treehog Life, The Universe, and Politics 10 Oct 30, 2018 02:39 AM
Alert US military cop jailed for grooming British schoolgirl, 12 Punkie Life, The Universe, and Politics 82 Aug 11, 2018 10:40 AM
Cool Conservatives Have Groomed the Perfect Suckers for Trumpís Epic Scam Broken Wings Life, The Universe, and Politics 16 Jun 30, 2016 09:39 AM
Discussion If you like your asian girl group band, you can keep your asian girl group band logan5 Life, The Universe, and Politics 41 Dec 16, 2015 07:41 AM
Discussion It's spring. Time for grooms, and well grooms. tolladay Life, The Universe, and Politics 12 May 15, 2008 02:28 PM