Jul 19, 2019, 12:45 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Thread OP
Another clear signpost the left has completely lost the plot in regard to identity politics.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/s...70151427006464
Jul 19, 2019, 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48
I kept the newspaper.... and still remember exactly the words I spoke when images of the landing appeared on TV: "Marilyn (wife), wake up, we've landed on the moon".
I kept the newspaper - after staying up all night watching it on the TV.

I had it packed flat in our airing cupboard - until my mother found it, thought it was rubbish and threw it away!
Jul 19, 2019, 04:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl
Another clear signpost the left has completely lost the plot in regard to identity politics.

Why spoil this excellent thread?
Jul 19, 2019, 10:03 AM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
Why spoil this excellent thread?
Yea, we better have a talk with OP and see if they approve.
Jul 19, 2019, 10:19 AM
No need - anyone can derail / pollute any thread - even the OP!
Jul 19, 2019, 01:56 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
No need - anyone can derail / pollute any thread - even the OP!
I checked with the OP and he ok'd the comment.
Jul 19, 2019, 02:03 PM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl

And used a Nazi war criminal to design the rockets that did it.

Still an amazing achievement, but, worth remembering those that suffered.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...arch-base.html

About 20,000 in Von Browns Factories.
Jul 19, 2019, 02:03 PM
They call me Crash!
I grabbed these glasses when my grandma passed many years ago. She was at Canaveral in the early sixties...wonder if they are worth anything?
Jul 19, 2019, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw1000
I grabbed these glasses when my grandma passed many years ago. She was at Canaveral in the early sixties...wonder if the are worth anything?
Do things have to be worth money to be precious?
Jul 19, 2019, 03:12 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
I grabbed these glasses when my grandma passed many years ago. She was at Canaveral in the early sixties...wonder if they are worth anything?
Fifteen to twenty bucks each.... Plus $29 shipping.
Jul 19, 2019, 03:28 PM
Trampling out the vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie
And used a Nazi war criminal to design the rockets.
Calling von Braun a war criminal is arguable. The weight of the evidence suggests he was primarily interested in rocketry and space exploration and viewed the military aspect as an unavoidable accoutrement of funding.

If von Braun had objected to any aspect of V2 production or use, his fate would have been swift and certain. His legacy as a creator of military weapons - first the German V2, but then nuclear delivery rockets for the USA such as the Redstone- should be presented and debated as we consider his legacy. But if he is a war criminal, what does that make those who created and continue to create far worse weapons than the deadly but relatively puny V2?

Of course, I'm biased. I encountered him as a child in 1968 in Huntsville AL when he returned my wave and smile.
Jul 19, 2019, 03:30 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
They will never be worth more than they are now. ..Sell them while they're hot.
Jul 20, 2019, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Scale
Calling von Braun a war criminal is arguable. The weight of the evidence suggests he was primarily interested in rocketry and space exploration and viewed the military aspect as an unavoidable accoutrement of funding.

If von Braun had objected to any aspect of V2 production or use, his fate would have been swift and certain. His legacy as a creator of military weapons - first the German V2, but then nuclear delivery rockets for the USA such as the Redstone- should be presented and debated as we consider his legacy. But if he is a war criminal, what does that make those who created and continue to create far worse weapons than the deadly but relatively puny V2?

Of course, I'm biased. I encountered him as a child in 1968 in Huntsville AL when he returned my wave and smile.
Oh, the just following orders argument, he only walked because he was useful to the USA.
He knew slave labourers were dying by the thousand, he walked past the bodies.

Others did not obey, he could have just stopped making progress in his rocket design, some of the slave labourers risked their lives to sabotage the weapons they were building, he carried on making them better.
Jul 20, 2019, 06:36 AM
Those 20,000 workers in the rocket factories had the same goal as Von Braun, it's called, "Staying alive".
Latest blog entry: My first blog entry
Jul 20, 2019, 06:39 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezer1
Those 20,000 workers in the rocket factories had the same goal as Von Braun, it's called, "Staying alive".
They were deplorable.

Quick Reply