Jul 15, 2019, 12:25 PM
William Hanshaw
Thread OP
Help!

Need Advice on controlling C/L Dizzyness

Hello, All.
I want to get back to where I started many years ago, into C/L.

I'm an 81 year-old modeler who started C/L in the late '40's when O&R came out with their glow .23! I put the engine in a Testors Freshman 29, and flew it once ending it its fatal crash. But oh what a thrill! In high school I flew mostly 1/2A ships, then later as a young business man, flew larger profile stunt ships with Fox and McCoy.35's. I wasn't a competitive flyer, just flew for fun. And, as a young man, in those days I never got dizzy flying. I went into R/C back in the early 70's, didn't fly C/L from then on until lately. Now, quite late in life, I want to go back to C/L for fun and to relive those great times!

I've recently tried to resume flying C/L, but I get really dizzy (and anxious) after a few laps so my buddy takes over. ] I'm converting a Flite Streak to electric, and plan to control its outrunner motor with the throttle channel on a small Tx I'.ll mount on my belt. That way I can immediately slow or cut the motor when I start to get dizzy, and land. Using that rig will keep me from having to rely on an on-board adjustable timer. Has anyone done their motor control this way?

Do you fellows have some advice on conquering dizzyness while flying? I've tried just standing and circling in my home but it hasn't helped much as yet.

Is there maybe a non-habit forming, drug I can obtain OTC to control my dizzyiness? Or a prescription drug I can get my MD to authorize?
I sure would appreciate some good feedback on how to keep from dizziness while flying!

Thanks in advance for your comments!
Bill H. Fort Worth TX AMA31631
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 12:38 PM
When i get new people started flying C/L I make their flights around 10 laps long. Then gradually increase the laps. Also, it helps flying on 60' lines, ( or longer) as long as your model can handle it. I try and avoid the small models on short lines that will screw you into the ground. Small steps and gradually increase the laps over time seems to work.
Jul 15, 2019, 01:53 PM
I find short flights good. If the plane is fast it is worse, but I found the second and third flights make me less dizzy. Also stop every couple laps to do a loop or figure eight if the plane is made for that. Inverted for a few laps helps to unwind a bit too. As for drugs? Beer would be bad, maybe smoke a joint to try out if it is legal in Texas. Dramamine/air sickness pills maybe.
Jul 15, 2019, 06:56 PM
Old Timer
There is a large and active group of CL people "next door" in Dallas, to rely on for help. I am 79 years old, and have never gotten dizzy; I have discovered that my footwork is occasionally clumsy, however. I don't have to fly level, which is boring, and probably is more conducive to dizziness (level flying is) than maneuvering is. They fly at Hobby Park in Garland. Check them out.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:54 PM
B for Bruce
Start out with a slower model and get your "sea legs" back on it.

Someone threw me a handle a few years ago and at that point we figured out later that it had been a good 15 years or more since my last CL flying. It was a slow combat so I only did a few flat laps then a few figure 8's and stuff so I would not get dizzy.

I also found that walking around in a bit of a circle instead of just spinning in place helped.

Oh, and I was the "target drone" for a combat display. It was only about a minute and two cuts before the "drone" started fighting back...... what great fun ! ! ! !

Apparently I hadn't lost it as we even got into a couple of potential tangles and we both did what was needed to fly out of the situation before going back to the fun.
Jul 15, 2019, 09:35 PM
As others have said, long lines and slowish model helps but try to put your focus on the centre of the model to take your attention away from the background scenery moving around. Flying reasonably high also can help cos there's less scenery wizzing around. Turning around maybe once every 5 seconds (lap times) shouldn't cause dizziness.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:34 PM
And I find having a ground-fixed point of reference good for keeping vertical. I use one of the light poles, or the single tree as a static landmark to keep my bearing.
As the plane passes between you and the fixed-point, hold your focus on the fixed point for a moment before going back to watching the plane. I do this about every three or four laps.
Jul 16, 2019, 01:50 PM
Here you go Young Man,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-21st-Century

Have a click and a look there.
I now have the 'box' on a belt, strapping it to my arm was a pain (looked cool though). I also just used an old DX6I transmitter on a strap hanging against my chest with the sicks pointing away, just reach up and move the throttle stick with your free hand, also worked perfectly but looks sloppy.

In a nutshell your idea is sound and works perfectly but it hasn't really struck gold with the purists on here.....

My tip, find a partner and go Ballroom Dancing, get your Viennese waltz nailed and C/L is a walk in the park

Paul

PS, if you are interested in electric stuff I have a couple of thread that may be of interest and give you some food for thought, just go to 'search' and select Advanced, you can then search by user and select 'all threads started by' (drop down box).. Have fun...

PSS, sorry, manners, welcome
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Jul 16, 2019, 06:32 PM
R_G
R_G
UFO Driver
Years ago I had an issue with dizziness and an experienced stunt flier told me to concentrate and stay focused on the model at the end of the lines and not so much on the background whizzing by. That worked wonders for me. I think I was flying a SIG Twister or maybe a Banshee at the time.

Ralph
Jul 16, 2019, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_G
Years ago I had an issue with dizziness and an experienced stunt flier told me to concentrate and stay focused on the model at the end of the lines and not so much on the background whizzing by. That worked wonders for me. I think I was flying a SIG Twister or maybe a Banshee at the time.

Ralph
Yes !

One more thing: if you go electric, even one minute flights are possible.
Jul 19, 2019, 06:54 PM
Practice at home by holding your control hand out and stick up your thumb. Spin around while looking only at your thumb. Yes, walk around in a circle. Practice going up and down. This will get you used to the motion and the blur of the background. You will build up your resistance to dizziness in no time at all.
Jul 21, 2019, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Here you go Young Man,

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-21st-Century

Have a click and a look there.
I did something similar. But I made the box smaller and put rails on it so I could attach it to the bottom of the handle. Didn't much care for it myself. I couldn't quickly get to the throttle stick, and when I crashed, I left the throttle full speed for a couple of seconds before I thought to turn off the motor. So I just did the easy thing and took another of these cheap E-Flight transmitters that are everywhere and someone you know will want to get rid of:

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...g?d=1545249981

and made it a rubber band return to off setup that I hold in my left hand. I take two #32 rubber bands and tie them together. I attach one end securely to the throttle stick, and then loop the other end down under the bottom, up the back, and looped over the antenna. This "spring returns" the throttle stick to off when you release the stick. That way you control the speed with your left hand, and if you get dizzy you can slowly reduce speed. Also, if things get out of hand, you just release the stick and the motor instantly stops. Actually, I have two on two different electric planes.

Mark
Jul 22, 2019, 10:05 PM
Checkertail Clan
Concentrating on the model was a trick that I discovered when I first started flying 45ish years ago. Last week, after not having flown CL for about 20 years, I agreed to fly a 1/2A mouse racer at the Nats. That trick still worked and the flight went fine even going into the race cold.
Sep 13, 2019, 03:13 PM

Like a ballerina

What I learned when I was in my mid twenties and successfully basic flying 1/2 a and .15 (acromaster) planes was to mimic a ballerina who just takes quadrant snapshots with her eyes and uses those images to stay level. Probably doing a terrible job explaining that concept. Have started flying again at age 69 and luckily have a recent friend to launch planes and he in turn has now flown thirteen revolutions in our second outing, never having flown or operated a glow engine.
Sep 13, 2019, 04:03 PM
Nice to see a happy ending. I am a bit concerned about your friends flight on the fourteenth lap.

Quick Reply