This thread is privately moderated by rclad, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 15, 2019, 09:59 AM
"I will return" Federico
Thread OP
Discussion

Buggered Up Landing

I should know better by now not to fly when I'm tired. After more than 460 flights on my 95" Extra 330SC-E I finally buggered up a landing so bad yesterday that I expected some serious damage to the airframe. It was 95 F with light winds and clear skies, but I caught a bit of updraft on the approach as I came over the end of a cornfield with stalks about 6 feet tall. The black geotex runway must have been generating some thermal activity as well. The plane wasn't descending as it normally does, even with power at idle.

I didn't notice how slow the plane was getting until it was too late. By the time I started to advance the throttle the left wing stalled and immediately fell. The plane dropped out of the air from about 5 feet up, came down on the left wing tip and smacked down hard on the landing gear. That was the first tip stall I have seen on this plane, and I practice stalls on every flight (for IMAC). This is not a design issue. I was drifting to the right side of the runway and must have applied some left rudder to stop the drift. After careful inspection I found no damage. This is a very strong airframe!

After swapping out batteries I got right back in the air and flew the same approach. This time I kept the nose down through the updraft, then brought it back to level once over the runway. I ended up landing midway down the runway, but I greased it in just above stall speed, so the rollout was completed before the end of the 600' runway.

I got off easy this time. Don't get complacent on landings!
Last edited by rclad; Jul 15, 2019 at 04:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 01:10 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Glad to see/hear no damage my friend!!

BTW... yellow or white corn? All you can get here in San Jose CA. is white corn, and I like the great yellow sweet corn we used to get in Illinois. Like I tell everybody out here. "We feed white corn to the cattle in the Midwest"

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My shop....

Quick Reply