Jul 14, 2019, 08:33 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

hand throw glider RC conversion

I recently converted a Banggood Hand Throw glider to RC. The glider has 19" span. I added a Suppo 1504 motor, a hobby king 6A esc, a Redcon cm410x dsmx receiver, and three hobby king 1.7 gram servos. The battery is a 2S 200 mah lipo and the prop is a hobby king 5.1" folder cut down to 4.25". The plane weighs 3 oz and has a 6.5 oz/sqft loading. It flies very well at 1/2 throttle. The battery, speed control and two of the servos were sunk into the foam using a hobby knife and needle nose pliers to pull out crumbs of foam. Several holes were drilled through the foam with a dremel rotary cutting tool. The battery slot was cut undersize to provide a friction fit for the battery. This conversion was relatively simple, The glider air frame only cost around $3.00.

Here are the pictures
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 06:06 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Cool adaptation !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Jul 15, 2019, 12:13 PM
Quad and foam adept
Looks very much like a Lidl glider conversion. These are sold at Lidl for next to nothing should be a very nice conversion. Bought a bunch and the first one survived over half a year in my kids hands. So I KNOW it's tough..

Lidl Glider goes Extremely fast!!! (10 min 5 sec)
Latest blog entry: WoodQuad
Jul 15, 2019, 01:11 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic
Holy SMOKES that was one fast little plane!!
Jul 15, 2019, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
This plane has a span of only 19" so it is small compared to the lidl. I have a very small area to fly in and planes with spans of 24" or less are best.
Mar 23, 2020, 08:04 PM
can you explain the CM410X connection ??
Mar 24, 2020, 08:17 AM
Thread OP

cm410x

here is a connection diagram
Last edited by jpmoffatt; Mar 24, 2020 at 08:32 AM. Reason: add photo
Mar 24, 2020, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermani
Looks very much like a Lidl glider conversion. These are sold at Lidl for next to nothing should be a very nice conversion. Bought a bunch and the first one survived over half a year in my kids hands. So I KNOW it's tough..

https://youtu.be/wkomW-LccQg
Wow, a 2838 car motor on 4S... no wonder it was burning up when he landed. That seems like massive overkill for a plane. I've done these glider conversions with 2S and bluewonder 1700 motors. I like the rest of his build though, it's actually a pretty good video, minus the power train, which is bonkers. I still have some airhogs titan gliders I got on clearance at Walmart nearly 10 years ago. Makes me want to convert one again.
Mar 24, 2020, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmoffatt
I recently converted a Banggood Hand Throw glider to RC. The glider has 19" span. I added a Suppo 1504 motor, a hobby king 6A esc, a Redcon cm410x dsmx receiver, and three hobby king 1.7 gram servos. The battery is a 2S 200 mah lipo and the prop is a hobby king 5.1" folder cut down to 4.25". The plane weighs 3 oz and has a 6.5 oz/sqft loading. It flies very well at 1/2 throttle. The battery, speed control and two of the servos were sunk into the foam using a hobby knife and needle nose pliers to pull out crumbs of foam. Several holes were drilled through the foam with a dremel rotary cutting tool. The battery slot was cut undersize to provide a friction fit for the battery. This conversion was relatively simple, The glider air frame only cost around $3.00.

Here are the pictures
Same glider. Added 2" section to each wing. Twisty wing controls on 2 servos below wing. Fan from Warthog. 300mah 2s, Lemon 6 RX. Goes.
Mar 24, 2020, 04:51 PM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Nice Canard Dude !!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans

Quick Reply