Sep 29, 2019, 04:23 PM
Just moved mine inside from porch. Looking forward to assembling. My first EDF.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 29, 2019, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohearl
Just moved mine inside from porch. Looking forward to assembling. My first EDF.
I need to push the 4S 2200 all the way aft to get close to the correct CG.
Sep 30, 2019, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohearl
I need to push the 4S 2200 all the way aft to get close to the correct CG.
Same. You have to push it far back to hit the cg.
Oct 01, 2019, 11:51 PM
I bought this as my first EDF, and maidened it last weekend. So far I’m quite disappointed. It’s just not very exciting to fly. I.e. not fast, I guess. I’m actually kind of surprised that something which looks so good can be so boring to fly.
Oct 04, 2019, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I bought this as my first EDF, and maidened it last weekend. So far Iím quite disappointed. Itís just not very exciting to fly. I.e. not fast, I guess. Iím actually kind of surprised that something which looks so good can be so boring to fly.
Remove the landing gear, rip out everything not needed, (weight down). Replace fan with something better, go for 6S, optimize COG,
simply tune it up.

Go for short fast flights not long boring ones (smallest possible high performance battery)!

Still bored ... search for the Sky Angel Screamer (second hand only) or some other more extreme planes.
Oct 04, 2019, 09:34 AM
Landing gear and steering servo are already out. Would not want to go 6S and get too into modding it. A simple ESC swap for 5S, OK. Plus I already have 5S lipos..(albeing only two 1500s - the two TG 1800s would almost definitely not fit... Same with the three 5S 2200 Turnigys..) Rudders I think would liven it up. It's not only about speed...(though mostly I suppose... It definitely needs >%30 more speed to get me interested...)
Oct 05, 2019, 02:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrsavage
I already have 5S lipos.
If You got several comparable good 3S it's easy to go to 6S. Solder a plug wiring the 2 x 3S in series = 6S.
Tried it my self and it worked no problem. But bench test before You fly and watch for overheating motor,ESC.
I smoked the ESC and motor ... after 3 flights (not this F-15).

When bech testing also watch for stalling fan system (my view of stalling is when thrust simply don't increase
with increased RPM). If it stalls replace fan and or modification of ducting (thrust tube).

I guess in Your case find a faster plane. If You find a F-5 (discontinued J-Power) e.g. or similar. Had one
and it was amazing ... simply.
Last edited by FLOEY; Oct 05, 2019 at 02:11 AM.
Oct 05, 2019, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the input, but I think I'm put off of EDFs for the time being. This was me getting my feet wet, and it didn't make me want to go swimming... On the contrary.

In the meantime I have gone a different route and am assembling, painting, etc.. a Multiplex Funray. I saw a couple recently at a club, and they looked really good..(I have a Volantey Ranger 1600, and the FR is very obviously 10x the plane - performance, presence, precision, etc...) I have enough smallish 120mph foamies(in addition to a 150mph Funjet I haven't assembled yet..), but the Funray, though conceptually very different, looked extremely impressive in the air. And in any case it'll definitely be faster than the F-15.... Not to mention be three times as big and fly five times as long.. Though yes, it did cost twice as much.. And is not as cool looking - so there is that..

For the moment I am (still...) of the opinion that there are no really good hand launcher EDFs which are interesting to me. The HK Skycat or whatever it's called looks pretty good, but I'm not about to go buy 6S lipos when I have a garage full of underused 4S and 5S.. Just the way it is right now.. Maybe some day they'll manage a good 4S or 5S hand launcher which can do 120mph for more than two minutes, but right now there's no such thing, which would interest me anyway. All the EDF focus seems to be on larger 6S (vastly more expensive..) planes, which are useless to me as I have no place to use landing gear, or any interest in all at having to maintain, repair, modify etc... them... Nor would I ever pay 500 bucks for one.

So for now I'll take the F-15 with me a few more times and see if it grows on me and overturns my initial impression at least a little. Not today though. Horrendous weather the last two weeks. And today it has somehow managed to be worse...

Quick Reply