Horizon Hobby E-flite F-15 Eagle 64mm EDF Review

Easy to fly F-15 Eagle from E-flite with a 64mm 11 Blade fan, powerful brushless outrunner motor and AS3X technology.

The F-15's striking graphics are apparent in this flyby

Introduction

Wingspan: 28.15" (715mm)
Length: 38.6" (980mm)
Flying Weight: 34-38oz (964-1077g)
Motor: 2840-3150 Brushless Outrunner
ESC:E-flite 40A w/EC3 connector
Fan Size: 2.5" (64mm) diameter, 11 blade
Recommended Battery: 4S LiPo, 2200-2600mAh
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $179.99 BNF Basic

The F-15 Eagle by McDonald Douglas has been in service for over 40 years and is still going strong. As a twin engine air superiority fighter it has never lost in an aerial engagement and with over 100 logged aerial victories, that's a pretty impressive stat. The F-15 has been in continuous production since 1972 and is expected to continue into 2022.

The E-flite F-15 is a fitting homage to this iconic fighter, it has good looks and strong performance in an easy to assemble and equally easy to fly aircraft. The F-15 can be flown off of pavement using the included wire landing gear with a steerable nose wheel or for enhanced performance you can leave the landing gear off and hand launch the jet. The included AS3X technology helps make the model fly like a larger aircraft and cancels the effects of wind gusts. For the true novice the F-15 can be configured with SAFE Select active, this reduces the chance of damaging the aircraft due to over control. Let's take a look at my experience with the F-15 and how it all went together.

What's in the Box

The F-15 was very well packaged with all the pre-painted components safely secured in foam. There was no damage to any of the parts on my jet. One thing that stood out to me was the sharp color scheme in blue, white and gray. All the decorations are pre-applied and all electronics pre-installed, including the DSMX receiver (BNF Version). I always check the parts list in the manual to make sure that I haven't left any of the included parts in the packaging.

• Fuselage with fan, motor, esc, elevator and steering servos installed
  • Spektrum 6-channel 2.4GHz receiver with DSMX technology installed
  • Wings with aileron servos installed
  • Horizontal and vertical stabilizers
  • Wire landing gear with foam wheels installed
  • Carbon support rod for main wing panels
  • Magnetic nose cone
  • Missile racks and drop tanks
  • Accessory bag
  • Manual

Assembly

The F-15 is easy to assemble with a great deal of the assembly completed before the jet leaves the factory. Some final assembly and setup is all that is required. Most is just mechanical assembly with screws, however the horizontal and vertical stabilizers need to be glued in place with medium CA.

Flying

After completing the assembly and charging the batteries, I was ready to head to the flying field.

Take Offs

I decided that the initial flights would be from our paved runway with the landing gear installed. I did not activate the SAFE Select on my aircraft. Initial taxi tests showed that I needed to adjust the nose wheel steering and slightly bend the main gear wire to allow the wheels to track a bit better. I was now ready for the first flight. The F-15 was balanced at 88mm back from the leading edge of the wing where it meets the fuselage. The control throws were also set per the manual. The initial flight was with a 4S battery, too much power is rarely a problem. I taxied out to the runway centerline and pointed the F-15 into the slight breeze and opened the throttle. The 11 blade 64mm fan provided nearly instant thrust and produced a pleasant turbine like sound. The F-15 accelerated quickly and lifted off into flight without delay or drama. The climb on 4S was impressive and steep. A little elevator trimming and my test flight was underway.

Basics

The F-15 felt solid, no doubt partially due to the positive effect of the AS3X working in the background. I felt immediately at ease with the jet, it carved nice turns and transitioned from one direction to the next quite smoothly. I attempted a stall test but all that I could accomplish was a slow speed high angle of attack mush that never would fall off one direction or the other. This is a nice characteristic for a novice. After a few laps of the field my 3 minute timer was just about up and it was nearly time to land and recharge.

Aerobatics

If you feel like doing some acro, the F-15 is up to it and will do most of the standard aerobatic maneuvers without complaint. Inverted flight was easily accomplished. Loops were large and smooth and the roll rate was quick but not too quick. I felt that the elevator was not as effective as I wanted. so I moved the pushrod at the elevator control horn in one hole to increase the surface travel. This improved the turn performance significantly. As the F-15 doesn't have a functional rudder, this is a bank and yank jet. I could roll it to one side or the other and apply some up elevator and I would be headed in the other direction very quickly. Rudder dependent maneuvers like knife edge are beyond the performance of this jet.

Landings

Landings with the gear in place couldn't be simpler, I just lined the jet up with the end of the runway headed into the breeze and reduced the throttle to almost idle, while holding the nose up, and the F-15 would settle into a solid descent. A little added elevator and a touch of throttle when near touch down and smooth landings were the norm. To be able to raise the nose without climbing required that the jet be slowed down quite a bit and very little throttle applied. This jet really floats.

Flying Without Landing Gear

Perhaps the most fun that I had with the F-15 was when I removed the landing gear and flew it clean. Hand launching was not difficult. I have large hands and was able to hold the fuselage from underneath without problem, someone with smaller hands might find this more of a challenge. The launch was no more than giving it full throttle and a firm toss into the wind. Again the AS3X is a big help in keeping things smooth. The response of the F-15 without the weight and drag of the landing gear was significantly better and to me, a lot more fun. Personally, I doubt that the landing gear will ever go back on this jet, it's just that much more fun without them. The improvement over what was already a good flying model was apparent in all phases of flight. Top speed was increased as was climb. Roll rate was faster and even its slow speed handling was improved. Landing without wheels is a simple matter of slowing the model on approach and flying it softly to the ground.

Beginners?

While I would not recommend an EDF model as a trainer, the F-15 with its solid and predictable flight characteristics is a novice friendly jet. With its complete and well illustrated manual, I have no doubt that a beginner could successfully assemble and set up the F-15. I believe that a novice with a bit of simulator time under his or her belt and utilizing SAFE Select mode would have an excellent chance at success.

Video

Photos

Conclusion

The F-15 with 64mm 11 blade fan is a very good low anxiety everyday flyer. Simple enough to keep ready to go at a moments notice. While I prefer the model clean (without landing gear or ordinance), others will enjoy shooting touch and goes with the supplied landing gear. Performance on 3S is fairly good but it really comes alive on 4S. This is a model that can provide a solid level of fun to a broad range of modelers from novice to experienced. If you are looking for a simple, attractive and fun jet, check out the F-15. I want to thank Jason Cole for his flying during the photo shoot. A great pilot makes that job a lot easier.

Check out the Horizon Hobby E-flite F-15 Eagle 64mm EDF Review here

RCGroups.com Review Policies

Our intent is to provide fair and unbiased reviews so that consumers can make informed decisions regarding new products. Some things you should know about our review process:

• RCGroups.com review items are provided by hobby manufacturers and suppliers, some of whom may be RCGroups advertisers.
  • Review products are sent directly to independent reviewers, chosen by RCGroups.com.
  • RCGroups.com reviewers are not compensated by either RCGroups.com or the reviewed item's supplier. However, they are allowed to keep the review items at no charge.
  • Published reviews reflect the opinion of the author.
  • When a conflict arises between a review sponsor and a reviewer (which is rare), RCGroups attempts to work out a satisfactory solution for all parties. In some cases, this may mean that a finished review will go unpublished, or be subjected to editing for technical accuracy. RCGroups reserves the final say as to whether an article is fit for publication.

It is always our intent to provide a place for honest and open commentary, and to put the needs of our visitors first. If you feel that something we've published is inaccurate, please let us know using the contact form.

Last edited by Hiflyer; Jul 15, 2019 at 06:29 PM..
Sep 01, 2019, 01:45 PM
Damn that dog can fly.....
Looks nice, but will not buy as Horizon Hobby do not care about UK customers.
Sep 02, 2019, 05:43 AM
Shame you still feel like that cause you can get one for £129.99 from HH UK/EU currently if you're not flying Spektrum anymore.

£159.99 for the BNF, on sale.
Last edited by i_am_mark_evans; Sep 03, 2019 at 08:10 AM.
Sep 02, 2019, 10:38 AM
Definitely flies better clean, no gear or ordnance. You can swap the ESC for a 70+ amp unit and go 5s on the stock edf, for about 1300 watts. It's really amazing, and doesn't burn up (at least mine hasn't, 50+ flights). My fan needed balanced pretty badly though, I'd recommend that before upping the power.
Sep 05, 2019, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know if a 3200 4s would fit into the housing while not adding too much weight for extended flight times without hampering performance significantly?
Pack Weight: 338g
Pack Size: L 139 x W 45 x H 29mm
Sep 05, 2019, 05:06 PM
I posted battery bay measurements in the other thread. Let me see if I can find it again.
Sep 05, 2019, 05:08 PM
Yep, found it.

Bay is 36mm wide, 50mm deep, and about 165mm long (but there are servo wires in the back, so may get tight).

So you can probably get it to fit.

I run ~210g packs, so you may have trouble getting the CG right.
Sep 06, 2019, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySpork
Yep, found it.

Bay is 36mm wide, 50mm deep, and about 165mm long (but there are servo wires in the back, so may get tight).

So you can probably get it to fit.

I run ~210g packs, so you may have trouble getting the CG right.
Thanks for that, I've read some using 3K mAh packs. did you need to add any weight or does it balance out just right with the 210grams ? I'm also assuming you have the battery all the way forward, is that right?
Sep 06, 2019, 05:35 PM
Balances fine. I can move it forward or back depending on how I want it to fly. All the way back isn't too crazy, and all the way forward is really stable in the wind.
Sep 06, 2019, 07:51 PM
I have one of these. Hasnít taken off yet. The wheel is sub trimmed and normal trimmed but it wonít track straight. After about 50 yards st full throttle into a 5-10mph wind it still hadnít taken off. I donít know whatís up with it.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacheteMable
I have one of these. Hasnít taken off yet. The wheel is sub trimmed and normal trimmed but it wonít track straight. After about 50 yards st full throttle into a 5-10mph wind it still hadnít taken off. I donít know whatís up with it.
That makes me wonder of safe mode would help, have you tried it? The guy at my field that has one and flies it in safe most of the time. At least it would tell you where to look if you turn it on and see major changes to any of the control surfaces or in how it behaves.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thanks Rusty,

I may weigh and try my 2200 3s just to get an idea of what that is like to start with.
Sep 11, 2019, 05:49 PM
Fire Marshall Bill
Get the weight back. Too far forward it gets glued to the tarmac. I fly 2700s and 3Ks in it with generally no problem, but if the heavy battery is up front it really needs speed and lots of up to lift the nose.
Also out of the box the nose wheel seem not right. 1st get rid of the subtrim. Then put the arm on the spindle in the position that results in best straight run with no trim, even if the arm is off center. Use trim to get best result. Finally observe the arm to be sure it is not hitting the side of the fuse. You are not going to need full throw anyway. Once working right, this plane has enough throw to tip onto the wing at very moderate speed.
I also found, after a run off the end of the tarmac (see first line) that the whole assembly bent back slightly, putting the wheel more in trail, and allowing it to castor better.

Quick Reply