Jul 14, 2019, 12:46 PM
Thread OP
New Product

1/30 Scale A330-300 (2006mm Wingspan)

Hi all, below is my first successful 3D printed airplane design. Now available for download.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game...006mm-wingspan

Original design/build thread

Specifications:
Wingspan: 2006mm (79 in)
Length: 2122mm (83.5 in)
Wing Area: 40.18 dm2 (623 in2)
Print Weight: 3460g (122 oz)
AUW: 6050g (213 oz)
Wing Loading: 150.6 g/dm2 (49.2 oz/ft)
Cubic Wing Loading: 23.7
Thrust to Weight Ratio: 0.7

Powerplant:
2x70mm XRP 14-blade with 2200kV motors
2x3700mAH 45C 6S Roaring Top

This was built/flow for a 6S 2200kV setup, but can easy be fitted with a 4S 2800kV setup to reduce weight.

3D Printed A330-300 Airliner - Maiden Flight (2 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Dirty Dee; Jul 21, 2019 at 11:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the release. Lovely model.
Jul 14, 2019, 05:13 PM
Thread OP
Thanks!

I have uploaded the assembly guide to the first post. It is included in the cults download, but this will allow people to see what is involved before committing to purchasing the files.
Jul 14, 2019, 06:17 PM
3D Printer Extraordinaire

Wow!

Absolutely beautiful! Great job! I might just get this after I am done printing my 3dLabPrint 73" Edge 540!

Joe
Jul 15, 2019, 01:32 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Joe!

Hoping in the next week or two I will begin finishing the airframe in the Virgin Atlantic livery. I am also curious about the wings and if they flex during flight. Not sure if it is an optical illusion, but it almost looks like the wings flex upward a bit in flight.
Jul 15, 2019, 02:55 PM
The human for scale really puts it into perspective! That is one amazing plane. Keep up the great work!
Jul 16, 2019, 06:05 AM
Hey Dirty Dee,

Looking very forward to flying this, I have started printing the tail section however I have two minor problems.

I think because I am printing it in at 1/60 and a single wall the bottom of the cargo doors have a gap, I will most likely fill this in and sand it down when I post-process it but does it print fine at 1/30? And where the supports are on the inside of the fuselage it protrudes slightly outwards too slightly, it can be seen in the picture attached

Also I remember a post you made regarding the windows quite a while back and where you had a pattern and could see the difference between the windows. did you still get this in your final print and ended up sanding it down or do some setting need to be changed in the slicer?

Thanks Osman.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:36 PM
Thread OP
Yes, the cargo doors print without issues at 1/30 scale.

regarding the pattern at the windows, That occurred when I tried to have open windows vs/ recessed. What I believe happened with the strange pattern is that the nozzle went one direction (clockwise) continuously between the windows, but at the windows the nozzle ran the opposite direction due to extra movements.

What I think is happening with your 50% scale print, is that the windows are separate passes for the nozzle instead of one continuous loop for the layer. What slicer are you using? I'll check when I get home from work how SLIC3R interacts with the 50% scale fuselage sections. It may be that the window details have too much offset for smaller scaling.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dee
Yes, the cargo doors print without issues at 1/30 scale.

regarding the pattern at the windows, That occurred when I tried to have open windows vs/ recessed. What I believe happened with the strange pattern is that the nozzle went one direction (clockwise) continuously between the windows, but at the windows the nozzle ran the opposite direction due to extra movements.

What I think is happening with your 50% scale print, is that the windows are separate passes for the nozzle instead of one continuous loop for the layer. What slicer are you using? I'll check when I get home from work how SLIC3R interacts with the 50% scale fuselage sections. It may be that the window details have too much offset for smaller scaling.
Hi Dee,

Yes that's correct the windows are separate passes of the nozzle and I'm using Cura as my slicer.

I sanded the Tail 1 section today and it just requires some filler for the cargo door and it should be fine. Still getting used to 3d printing so I'm playing around with my settings too.
Jul 16, 2019, 07:12 PM
Thread OP
I just loaded a tail section into slic3r Prusa Edition, and it looks like it will have the same "banding" around the windows at 50% scale.
Jul 17, 2019, 08:51 AM
Quote:
I just loaded a tail section into slic3r Prusa Edition, and it looks like it will have the same "banding" around the windows at 50% scale.
After a little bit of sanding I think it should be fine, I plan to print a 1/30 scale after this but I'm a little impatient and want to build a 1/60 scale for now.
Jul 19, 2019, 06:28 PM
Hi Dee, I've caved in and started printing the 1/30 scale. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to have the servo covers as separate prints? I am printing in PLA and I think with a two wall thickness it would be too to thick cut with a hobby knife. How difficult was it to cut with the ABS?
Jul 19, 2019, 08:04 PM
Sweet! This very well maybe my winter project. I've always wanted an airliner, but could never find anything available. Don't think I am quite ready to make my own from scratch just yet so this should be perfect.
Jul 19, 2019, 10:59 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSM7N
Hi Dee, I've caved in and started printing the 1/30 scale. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to have the servo covers as separate prints? I am printing in PLA and I think with a two wall thickness it would be too to thick cut with a hobby knife. How difficult was it to cut with the ABS?
ABS was very easy. Scored at the edges a few times and it released without much trouble. I usually slipped the blade under the opening and wiggled towards the corners to help release them.

Not sure how I would be able to make them separate prints., since you would still have the issue of cutting the opening for the servo bay either way. Do you have access to a hot knife? that might make it easier for PLA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert1
Sweet! This very well maybe my winter project. I've always wanted an airliner, but could never find anything available. Don't think I am quite ready to make my own from scratch just yet so this should be perfect.
Best part of 3D printing, is you can re-print as many times as you want. Having scratchbuilt a few planes, this definitely give some piece of mind knowing that I can get another airframe ready in a relatively short period.
Jul 20, 2019, 06:04 AM
Quote:
ABS was very easy. Scored at the edges a few times and it released without much trouble. I usually slipped the blade under the opening and wiggled towards the corners to help release them.

Not sure how I would be able to make them separate prints., since you would still have the issue of cutting the opening for the servo bay either way. Do you have access to a hot knife? that might make it easier for PLA.
Hi Dee,

Yeah I will have a go with a hot knife and let you know.

1/60 is becoming more hassle than it could be worth, on the rudder the dubro hinges won't have enough space from what I have tried out, may have to open the slots with a thin blade.

Thanks.

Quick Reply