Jul 14, 2019, 11:34 AM
UpliFT-RC
Thread OP
Help!

My new Black Jack 24'' is pulling in way to much water per run

Hi Guys,
I am hoping someone can help me out! I made a video to show how much water my new boat is actually taking in on my runs. I use Marine Tape on every run and I use the Marine grease after every other run for my 3/16 shaft. The only reason why the antenna cap is off is b/c I had lost it during the run when I was coming back! I am thinking that the boat is somehow taking in water from the back part of the boat and maybe in the rudder how its attached to the hull. I am not sure if you're having the same problem with your Pro Boats but make sure you comment and let us know the model of the boat if you're having this problem! Let me know your thoughts after watching the video I uploaded it for you on my youtube channel. Make sure you hit the subscribe button to stay connected!

Pro Boat Black Jack 24'' Catamaran w/ an OSE Prop run (8 min 39 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 06:38 PM
RELAX. You'll live longer
Have you done a water pressure test on the cooling lines.
It could be a leaking seal on the cooling jacket, or one of the nipples on the ESC or jacket.
I use a large syringe to fill the cooling lines by taking off the line from the rudder & fitting it to the syringe full of water.
When water starts to come out of the water exit in the side of the boat, place your finger over the outlet & continue to push the syringe to pressureise the system, while looking for leaks in the lines or jacket in the boat.

The easy way to see if any of the hardware mounting screws are leaking is the good old bath test.
Put some water in the bath & push the boat down in it until the water level is up to the deck.
Check to see if any water is coming into the hull from any of the hardware or out of the stuffing tube.

But from the amount of water in the hull it would seem to me that it is being forced in under pressure. Most probably the cooling system.
Last edited by 785boats; Jul 14, 2019 at 08:30 PM.
Jul 15, 2019, 07:52 PM
UpliFT-RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
Have you done a water pressure test on the cooling lines.
It could be a leaking seal on the cooling jacket, or one of the nipples on the ESC or jacket.
I use a large syringe to fill the cooling lines by taking off the line from the rudder & fitting it to the syringe full of water.
When water starts to come out of the water exit in the side of the boat, place your finger over the outlet & continue to push the syringe to pressureise the system, while looking for leaks in the lines or jacket in the boat.

The easy way to see if any of the hardware mounting screws are leaking is the good old bath test.
Put some water in the bath & push the boat down in it until the water level is up to the deck.
Check to see if any water is coming into the hull from any of the hardware or out of the stuffing tube.

But from the amount of water in the hull, it would seem to me that it is being forced in under pressure. Most probably the cooling system.

All good mate, New Update on my Black Jack 24'' Cat! Horizon Hobby is replacing my boat, I basically showed them this video and they said its an MFG defect, due to where the water was coming into the hull. Plus, my boat was still covered under the Pro Boat warranty so Horizon Hobby will be sending me out a brand new Black Jack 24'' Cat ones I ship the defective one back! Just had to fill out a simple form and that was it. Then came another email with a Pre Paid shipping label from FedEx! This is the kind of company that truly stands behind there products that they sell.
Jul 16, 2019, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSharkvictim
All good mate, New Update on my Black Jack 24'' Cat! Horizon Hobby is replacing my boat, I basically showed them this video and they said its an MFG defect, due to where the water was coming into the hull. Plus, my boat was still covered under the Pro Boat warranty so Horizon Hobby will be sending me out a brand new Black Jack 24'' Cat ones I ship the defective one back! Just had to fill out a simple form and that was it. Then came another email with a Pre Paid shipping label from FedEx! This is the kind of company that truly stands behind there products that they sell.
So where was the water coming in ? .
Jul 16, 2019, 09:19 AM
UpliFT-RC
Thread OP
The back part of the hull where the rudder screws go into your boat I guess, I am not arguing with them when they are sending me a new boat.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:47 AM
Its pretty normal on a lot of Chinese made boats to find the screws that hold the hardware to the transom to let water into the hull, as very few if any put sealer in these areas when they assemble the boats. First thing i do on any rtr boat is to remove all the hardware & seal between the metal brackets & the hull including making sure sealer is around the screws & drilled holes. Any electric boat needs to be 100% watertight as water & electrics dont end well especially on salt water which i run on. Most experienced electric boaters do a lot of work in all areas of the boats to get them watertight before they ever run them for real. You will be surprised how many areas on a boat that needs addressing re leaks, i see so many boats where they buy a rtr boat & take it out of the box & run it & the boat constantly fills with water. But they just keep on tipping the water out & continue running the boat & wonder why the electrics start playing up or stop working or short out. Good to see Horizon replacing your boat.
Jul 16, 2019, 11:50 AM
Quote:
The back part of the hull where the rudder screws go into your boat I guess, I am not arguing with them when they are sending me a new boat.
But surely, wouldn't you do those two simple tests I suggested, to make sure for your own peace of mind?
It is a common problem with rtr boats. You should start learning how to diagnose & fix these little inconveniences yourself if you are going to have a rewarding future in R/C boating. There are many problems in this hobby that will confront you. Fixing them is all part of the challenge & the fun.
Jul 16, 2019, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Wow and you got a replacement for that ,as Martin said you should remove the hardware on a RTR boat and seal everything ,i personally wouldnt have expected them to replace a perfectly good boat due to a slight leak at the screw holes but maybe thats just me .In either case as Paul mentioned checking things yourself and maybe fixing a small issue like that would stand you in good stead for the future .
Jul 17, 2019, 05:51 AM
UpliFT-RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinh50
Its pretty normal on a lot of Chinese made boats to find the screws that hold the hardware to the transom to let water into the hull, as very few if any put sealer in these areas when they assemble the boats. First thing i do on any rtr boat is to remove all the hardware & seal between the metal brackets & the hull including making sure sealer is around the screws & drilled holes. Any electric boat needs to be 100% watertight as water & electrics dont end well especially on salt water which i run on. Most experienced electric boaters do a lot of work in all areas of the boats to get them watertight before they ever run them for real. You will be surprised how many areas on a boat that needs addressing re leaks, i see so many boats where they buy a rtr boat & take it out of the box & run it & the boat constantly fills with water. But they just keep on tipping the water out & continue running the boat & wonder why the electrics start playing up or stop working or short out. Good to see Horizon replacing your boat.

martinh50 - Thanks for the update but if my boat was still under warranty and the Horizon Hobby rep mentioned that my boat has a MFG defect to send it back and I am not going to argue with them. I appreciate your tips since my new Sonicwake 36'' deep V is coming in today and that's what I will be doing. I will take off all the hardware & the seals between the metal brackets~ Any thoughts on some silicone sealers out there that's good for sealing application for your RC boat??

Anyways, shipping my BlackJack 24'' back today to Horizon Hobby so they can send me back out a new one!
Jul 17, 2019, 06:18 AM
UpliFT-RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 785boats
But surely, wouldn't you do those two simple tests I suggested, to make sure for your own peace of mind?
It is a common problem with rtr boats. You should start learning how to diagnose & fix these little inconveniences yourself if you are going to have a rewarding future in R/C boating. There are many problems in this hobby that will confront you. Fixing them is all part of the challenge & the fun.

You could have used an entire bottle of sealer on this boat and it still would have leaked mate! Bottom line the boat was defective and was leaking through a seam in the back, so that s pretty tough fix no matter how ya look at it! I will make sure to go over my Entire Pro Boat Sonicwake 36" Self-Righting Brushless Deep-V today and seal everything up as I did with my BlackJack!
Jul 17, 2019, 09:04 AM
Quote:
You could have used an entire bottle of sealer on this boat and it still would have leaked mate! Bottom line the boat was defective and was leaking through a seam in the back, so that s pretty tough fix no matter how ya look at it! I will make sure to go over my Entire Pro Boat Sonicwake 36" Self-Righting Brushless Deep-V today and seal everything up as I did with my BlackJack!
Im not been funny but we based our opinions and advice on the fact you stated water was leaking in through the bolt holes for the hardware now you are saying the seam was leaking , thats a totally different story .
Jul 17, 2019, 09:58 AM
Quote:
I don't see any through bolts on my sonicwake, so I'm not sure what hardware you can actually seal up. Seems all the nuts are sealed inside the abs and none of the hardware bolts actually bolt all the way through.
Jul 17, 2019, 02:26 PM
You will be surprised how many rtr boats leak through the screw holes also around the rubber bellows on the rudder arm where the bellows fit into the hull. On some rtr boats when you take the hardware off the screw holes in the hull have been elongated so as to get things in the right place & then just bolted on. In these situation water can pour into the hull, you can also get leaks around the aerial fitting on the deck, water outlet fitting, rubber drain plug if fitted, not to mention the hatch that leaks either around the hatch edge ( even taped some hatches are difficult to get 100% watertight due to awkward shapes ). A lot of rtr boats that come with a rubber seal around the hatch + 4 hold down screws are not 100% watertight & still require taping to make sure there are no leaks in that area. Another place that can take in water & needs addressing is up through the stuffing tube/flex shaft, this is why most fit a simple piece of silicone tube to the inside end of the stuffing tube to prevent water entering between the tube & flex. Another area that sometimes leaks water is where the stuffing tube enters the strut or stinger & also between the rear face of the strut & drive dog especially with 2 square faces to the strut & dog front face, this is why some use dogs that have an angled front face. This helps prevent water being pumped into the strut & on up into the stuffing tube & into the boat.
Jul 17, 2019, 03:27 PM
Quote:
As Apache said, a split seam is a total different situation. Not mentioned before.
Glad to see it is being replaced.
But a bath test and a cooling system pressure test are two things that should be done on any new boat.
I do it to all the boats that I scratch build from bare hulls. Just to make sure.
The one time that I failed to do it, the cooling jacket O ring leaked, pumped the rigger full of water and blew the Swordfish ESC.
Cheers.

Quick Reply