Jul 14, 2019, 10:16 AM
Never too old to learn
Thread OP
Discussion

Techniques Weathering EPO warbirds?

I bought the Flightline bubble top 1600 mm Corsair.
I have repainted it to the tri-color scheme. Pic attached.
What method and paints do you guys/gals use to add weathering?
I'm thinking thinned acrylic paints, applied with a rag or paper towel? I have an airbrush but not well experienced using it.
Gray and brown? for exhaust streaks.
Blue black ? for gun streaks.
Yellowish tan? for general dirtiness.
I'm also thinking of chipping some of the paint to the bare foam then applying zinc chromate to the exposed foam.
All suggestions welcome.

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2019, 07:21 PM
Dinosaur
How serious about scale detail are you? If you're looking at contest quality here's a process you might enjoy giving a try.

Corsairs typically operated from Pacific coral air strips and the damage from their own propellers was obvious especially on the wing's leading edge. To duplicate this area of distress you'll need a Dremel with a buffing wheel, a jar of Vaseline, a cotton swab.

You'll need to use your airbrush and apply a coat of silver to the leading edge of the wings and wherever you want the rock/sand nicks to show. The silver will duplicate the aluminum skin. Zinc Chromate is an under base, or primer and would have been chipped off as easily as the Navy blue paint. That's why I don't use it.
With the Dremel running dip the cotton swab in the Vaseline and touch it to the buffing wheel while moving it along the wing's leading edge. As the Vaseline is slung onto the wing it will leave small droplets that paint will not stick to. When you have finished with the wings move onto the horizontal stab, the landing gear doors, cowling and anywhere that would have suffered from wind driven sand and coral rock.

Now you can apply a coat of the blue and after it dries use a non-absorbent cloth and wipe the areas where you applied the Vaseline. You'll see that the paint comes off leaving the 'look' of a war weary fighter that has seen better days.

As with any technique practice will provide you with better results. Good luck and have fun.

Tom
Jul 14, 2019, 07:34 PM
Go to thread in Electric Warbirds under tools show attachments when you see photo you like look at post, there are good ideas there. The airbrush is best you have to practice with it there are good suggestions on YouTube. Plus there posting here.
I use Vallejo paints you can find them at Scale Hobbies be sure to use air model for airbrush or model if you what to use brush on. Use dark grays, yellows and browns , I have posted a lot of info in postings.
Good lucky and experiment before applying.

Ken
Jul 14, 2019, 07:38 PM
That one heck of a paint job you did there looks great. On the weathering less is better. On mine I was doing the extreme weathering of the Corsairs on Guadalcanal go here https://www.asisbiz.com/Corsair.html
Marine pilot, Lieutenant Kenneth A. Walsh, lands his F4U aircraft on Guadalcanal ...HD Stock Footage (3 min 5 sec)

Ken
Jul 15, 2019, 03:06 PM
Never too old to learn
Thread OP
Thank you Ken.
I'm pleased with my paint job but with three coats of white over the dark blue it just added too much weight especially rear of the CG. So much weight that I needed 5 oz of nose weight to counter balance.
I couldn't have that so I removed all the paint from the wing center section rearward leaving just bare foam. Then painted just one coat of white.
Still needed 2 oz of nose weight. Probably from the intermediate blue over the dark blue rear of the wing and the vert. fin.

Thanks also for the links, I'll use some of those pics as reference for my weathering.

Tom
Aug 01, 2019, 06:10 AM
Never too old to learn
Thread OP
After many hours of pondering on how to do the weathering I just dove in. Here is the result of my amateurish efforts.

Tom
Aug 01, 2019, 06:23 AM
Looks good but try dark grays and browns, not black. Get that airbrush out and start practicing, Buy a cheap kids coloring book at Dollar General and practice on that, color does matter just starting & stopping and trigger control.

Ken
Aug 01, 2019, 02:19 PM
Never too old to learn
Thread OP
FWIW, there isn't a speck of black on the model, it's gray but being on the bottom and in the shade could make it seem to be black.
I mixed yellow and brown for a sand color to "dirty" the white underbelly. Used aluminum paint (which was more of a silver) for the worn areas. Nose, leading edges of flying surfaces and above the coolers. I sanded the wear areas until barely exposing the foam and used the aluminum paint.
I tried to emulate an aircraft flown from an island in the Pacific.
Fading the top surfaces from nose to tail. As if it were faded from exposure.
Perhaps I'll take some pictures when the model is in better lighting and not with my iphone.

Tom
Aug 01, 2019, 08:12 PM
It looks black for sure but then the light and camera can change it. Donít get me wrong it looks good and from I have seen you do in the past I know you can improve. I just trying to spur you on. Here is a great example, I look for these all the time, plus I belong to studios modeling group on Facebook these guys are unbelievable good. I was watching an old Star War movie, those movies are full of ideas. Get that airbrush out.
I love Vallejo PanzerBlack Gray, it almost is a perfect match to the dark almost black colors.
Weathering is easy, it only took me 5 years to get where I am now and even now I will do something and then paint it out.
Fly that bird, got 54 flights in for July.

Ken

Quick Reply