Dec 02, 2019, 05:15 PM
Alan,
You are probably aware of this, but there has been a wonderful, in depth set of articles on the Terror and her sisters in Warship International. The first section is in Dec 2011(48/4), thenMar 2015, mar 2016, and June 2019. I have the last three issues, but not the first and it is not available from WI.
If you don't have them I can loan them to you for your build.
Jonathan
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2019, 05:20 PM
Alan,
PS the latest article deals specifically with the conversions of the various hulls and classes( including the Monitors) to LVS..
Dec 02, 2019, 07:11 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
Ok, so I went and googled the USS Catskill— I’m liking her as an LSV even better than Terror as a mine layer. That stern hatch is kinda cool- load her up with a bunch of DUKWs!
Dec 02, 2019, 09:01 PM
Brought to you by letter Arr!
Thread OP
Thanks Jonathan! I knew about the original article on the Terror but it looks like they are publishing some additional installments now! Those could be mighty helpful...

Bill- that's an intriguing idea about the LSV, and just when I thought I had settled on the Terror!
The stern ramp is definitely cool (especially if you could animate it somehow) and so is the camouflage scheme, but I wonder about all that additional topside weight from the landing craft and davits? It could be a really fun model if I got it right though!
Dec 02, 2019, 09:37 PM
Alan,
I'll get them off to you when the snow let's up.
There is some top hamper, but with an almost 20' draft you should be able compensate. Besides, you have dealt with more tender models that Catskill would be.
You should be able to animate thatramp without issues. Check with LilJimmie for ideas.
Dec 06, 2019, 04:00 PM
Thread OP
Thank you Jonathan!

Alright folks- so which is it going to be, Terror or Catskill?

Terror has cleaner lines, a deckhouse that is easier to remove, and (probably) better stability.

Catskill has a cool paint scheme and an awesome vehicle ramp.

Cast your votes, and thanks for your input!
Last edited by mariner02; Dec 06, 2019 at 04:09 PM.
Dec 07, 2019, 04:11 PM
1 for Catskill. I too love the ramp.
Dec 07, 2019, 05:38 PM
1 for Terror. She had those huge downs after, hummmm...an operational minelayer perhaps?
Dec 08, 2019, 04:09 PM
Thread OP
Make her an operational minelayer? That could be interesting but I'd have to think about how best to do it.

Thinking about the Catskill for a moment, I wonder if it would be possible to make a functional DUKW in 1/96. It would only be about 4" long but equipment is getting smaller all the time. Alternatively, it could be made to roll off by gravity when the ramp is lowered, and a small winch could pay out a little line to let it float some distance behind. Then it could be pulled back in and the ramp closed again.

Keep the ideas coming... I'm still completely undecided!

I think we need Bill to weigh in too. Sounds like he might be leaning toward the Catskill?
Last edited by mariner02; Dec 08, 2019 at 04:18 PM.
Dec 08, 2019, 10:46 PM
Webmaster, MMCNE
I like the Catskill, ‘cause I’m partial to amphibious. LCVPs and DUKW hulls could be vac formed, so they’d be nice and light.

-Bill
Dec 09, 2019, 08:31 PM
Thread OP
Wow what a tough decision... you guys really aren't helping.
….and it's not like I can start the hull and make up my mind later; the choice of whether to do the ramp or the mine ports needs to be made when I'm laying out the frames.
Dec 09, 2019, 09:00 PM
Latitudes vs Attitudes
You've mastered the warship and work boat! Try something out of your comfort zone...maybe a sport fisherman or a research boat or a submarine..
Latest blog entry: Mark V Navy Seal SOC
Dec 10, 2019, 07:05 AM
Thread OP
I don't know about mastering them yet, but I'm trying! I've dabbled with subs a bit in the past and I actually do have plans to get back into it. One class in particular has always fascinated me:
Dec 10, 2019, 02:04 PM
That would be interesting – the masts and lifeboat are certainly unusual for a sub.
You wouldn't need to worry about too much interior detail as the only portholes are in the very top of the tower.
Dec 16, 2019, 08:34 PM
Come down and visit us,Maybe we can sway you into something newer to build

Quick Reply