Jul 15, 2019, 01:03 PM
Perpetual Novice
Available Space per Sq. Pile.
I'm not sure if it would be ratiometric, volumetric, or best to understand you'll know it when you see it; Turbonut & Dad3533 seem to have embraced reality: Try to hang, shelve, cubby-hole, (organize all you will)...
but the main work surfaces always get piled.

I find that the butcher block Whalen workbenches (Costco) work great. My center bench is converted from two (2) placed separated back-to-back using the end handles to hold them (screwed into one socket on each & added plank/top over the gap).
to remove ads between posts
Jul 15, 2019, 01:26 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Nice neat logical layout tubonut.

There has also been a few threads on 'Show your Workshop', with rooms the size of small factories, power tools/ cnc machines everywhere, and all immaculately clean.

Always made me think, "I wonder if they actually make anything ?".

I use quite a few ice-cream tubs and boxes, but my main thing is - 'A place for everything, and everything goes back in its place', that way I always know where to find things. (Ok, except for the thing I have just put down, that instantly disappears )
Jul 16, 2019, 04:30 AM
Themadartist
Thread OP
Great stuff everyone, thanks for getting in the spirit.

I was in a mate's shed today and couldn't go past this storage gem.

Looking for some way to store long, thin things ??? - why not just screw a piece of guttering to the bench, wall etc ...

End caps are easy to buy or make, and you can have a fair bit of stuff in these and still "rifle through' the contents pretty easily.
Jul 16, 2019, 05:07 AM
Suspended Account

Toy Guns and Blaster

Toy guns are toys which imitate real guns, but are designed for children to play with. From hand-carved wooden replicas to factory-produced pop guns and cap guns, toy guns come in all sizes, prices and materials such as wood, metal, plastic or any combination thereof. Many newer toy guns are brightly colored and oddly shaped to prevent them from being mistaken for real firearms.
Jul 16, 2019, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterclark
Toy guns are toys which imitate real guns, but are designed for children to play with. From hand-carved wooden replicas to factory-produced pop guns and cap guns, toy guns come in all sizes, prices and materials such as wood, metal, plastic or any combination thereof. Many newer toy guns are brightly colored and oddly shaped to prevent them from being mistaken for real firearms.
Ok.....what does that have to do with the builders workshop? Did you post in the wrong spot or is this a political statement?

Mike
Jul 16, 2019, 09:26 AM
B for Bruce
Yeah, first post? Not sure where that came from.

On the gutter idea.... I like it. But it WILL become a junk trap for chips and dust. So be sure it's easy to remove and tip it out, shift the stuff you need back into it and then hang it again. Then vac or brush all the dust and chips off into the trash.

I know with my new (and wonderful) endless drawers shop I'll open one to get a tool or item out and it doesn't quite get closed. So a lot of them have ended up with small bits or chips mixed in the area just behind the front of the drawer. A gutter would be like a permanently open drawer.... but REALLY long! There's no doubt at all that it would be an amazing tool well. But I'd want it to be easily removable to dump out the tools and garbage occasionally to separate the good from the bad.
Jul 16, 2019, 01:18 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.

Slightly off topic, but ......

Now this is what I call a storage cabinet for all that model stuff.

But would you remember where you put things ?

The Roentgens' Berlin Secretary Cabinet (2 min 22 sec)

Jul 16, 2019, 04:28 PM
I made this rack for storage of my balsa, piano wire and misc metal pieces, 36 and 48 stock. I would use sheet material to create cubby holes for designated storage. I planned it to be multi level cubby holes, if needed. It would hang from the ceiling in my garage. I never got to do the install because I needed to move some high wing aircraft jacks from the airport to the house. The jacks would support the rack in position during the install. I never had the energy to move those jacks.

BUT, Im having my house roof redone. I needed the jacks to replace corroded metal brackets supporting wooden posts that hold up my back patio roof. So the jacks are here and the brackets have been replaced. I just need to find the time to do the storage rack install. A hot attic would be the only negative in doing the install. I can thank my dog for the corroded. metal brackets. The new brackets have anti dog barriers. Lol.
Jul 31, 2019, 07:12 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
After four years in the mobilehome, I've still not gotten around to building the room addition/workshop So, I've improvised by storing flyable airplanes under the bed, as there is quite a lot of unused space there. Enough for .049 sized airplanes. Picture two shows an Easy Built 'Aeronca Chief' under construction. It's on one of those magnetic building boards, also from Easy Built. Works pretty well, has been mounted onto a piece of 3/4" MDF to keep it from warping or moving around when sliding it out from under the bed. Airplane in the foreground is a Smeed 'Chatterbox', farther back is a GWS deHavilland 'Beaver', brushed gearmotor and all. There's a Midwest Li'l Tri Squire and two Cliff Kershaw 'Blunderbird 3s' (July, 1970 RCME) behind that. Photo three is the closet upper shelf for engines, radios and other stuff. Closet floor is for field boxes. Everything else, including about 30 airplanes in various stages of fly-ability, is currently stored under the mobilehome. I didn't really want to do it that way, but a storage place, at $107 per month, was too much. Actually, I've found, over the years, the temperatures stay very reasonable year round, if a bit dusty, under there. Crawling around on all fours to access things is a motivation to get the workshop done

Since I have four cats, who are always ready to help out, I closed off access under the bed with a door made of some 3/4 by 11" shelf wood, hinged at the top to the bed frame, and closed with a claw-resistant pin latch. Just bring out the next project and when hobby time is over, slide it back in and close the door.
Latest blog entry: Single Channel Case
Aug 01, 2019, 11:21 AM
B for Bruce
Speaking of under bed or under other stuff options here's a shot from my metal work shop of the "floor drawer". It uses non swivel casters in corner pockets due to the hard floor. And only about 1/4" of clearance.

If one did the same thing but on carpet then it could use something like 1/8 hardboard for the bottom and just slide on the carpet. Just be sure to only glue it or to sink any small nails, brads or stables well into the hardboard so they don't snag.

If using wheels to run on a hard floor then you'll need a bottom for the "drawer" that won't sag and drag. Or fit it with a patch of UHMW.... For that matter skid buttons of UHMW would be just fine. Again though sink the staples, nails or screws so they don't scratch.

Quick Reply