Jul 13, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

X10 loss of signal problem....failsafe to blame?

Hello, I have had my X10 about 1 1/2 years now and really like it but for an annoying problem. The first time it happened I was flying a Great Planes Triplane with a V8R7-2 receiver. On short final to land it lost signal for about 2 seconds. As it was about to touch down in the pits the signal came back and it roared up and to the right responding to my corrective controls. Landed it with no problem after that! I thought it might be because the receiver was located up in the fuse in the middle of the aluminum cabane struts and all. This was about a year ago. Since then this has happened 4 more times on different planes that I have noticed. Today was with a 3D foamy. I was practicing doing just one quick snap roll and back to level flight. It decided on its own to do about 4 snap rolls before it came back under my control. When this loss of control happens it seems to just hold the last input for about 1-1/2 seconds to 2 seconds. This momentary loss of control has happened with a V8R7-2, G-RX8, and an X8R receiver. Could this be the failsafe kicking in as I have never changed the settings from the default settings which are set to HOLD. I am currently running FROS. Should my failsafe be set to NO PULSE on the transmitter and why?? Why would the failsafe be kickin in if this is the problem? Thanks for any and all help you all can give me, Jeff D.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2019, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rv4pilotone
Hello, I have had my X10 about 1 1/2 years now and really like it but for an annoying problem. The first time it happened I was flying a Great Planes Triplane with a V8R7-2 receiver. On short final to land it lost signal for about 2 seconds. As it was about to touch down in the pits the signal came back and it roared up and to the right responding to my corrective controls. Landed it with no problem after that! I thought it might be because the receiver was located up in the fuse in the middle of the aluminum cabane struts and all. This was about a year ago. Since then this has happened 4 more times on different planes that I have noticed. Today was with a 3D foamy. I was practicing doing just one quick snap roll and back to level flight. It decided on its own to do about 4 snap rolls before it came back under my control. When this loss of control happens it seems to just hold the last input for about 1-1/2 seconds to 2 seconds. This momentary loss of control has happened with a V8R7-2, G-RX8, and an X8R receiver. Could this be the failsafe kicking in as I have never changed the settings from the default settings which are set to HOLD. I am currently running FROS. Should my failsafe be set to NO PULSE on the transmitter and why?? Why would the failsafe be kickin in if this is the problem? Thanks for any and all help you all can give me, Jeff D.
The failsafe is not "to blame".
The failsafe is a safety measure when the rx looses signal for some reason. That's "to blame".

You need to learn about failsafe. At the least it should be set to shutdown the motor before you seriously injure someone. Hold setting has the potential for very bad repercussions.
Jul 13, 2019, 08:44 PM
Thread OP

signal loss........

Hello, Bad choice of words on my part. I am not "blaming the failsafe " per say. I was just trying to ask if someone has had the same experience. When something like this happens you dont know if it is the receiver losing signal or a glitch in the transmitter or a some other type of "glitch". What I was asking is does this sound like the "HOLD" setting of the failsafe kicking in? If it is what would cause it to go into failsafe for just a very short time and then recover? With mutiple receivers in multiple planes????? Now before you jump on me again for trying to kill someone, this happened once over a year ago with the Triplane. Thought it was a bad receiver and changed it out. The next two times it was kinda like the plane did not respond right away to my input and left me wondering.....did that just not respond right away??????? But today it happened during a snap roll and kinda made me look back and convinced me that these things were all related. I have been flying r/c for over 40 years with all kinds of planes, gliders, and helicopters with very few crashes in those forty years. I have also built and flown my own full-size airplane, an RV-4. To say the least.......I am not a beginner. I also have a X7 with open tx. People recommend the failsafe in open tx on the x7 be set to "No PULSE" ....... is that because it is just a better failsafe setting or will it eliminate the very intermittant problem I am experiencing? So, that being said..........has anyone had this kind of experience with this type problem with a X10? Remember that I am using FROS on the X10.......Thanks again, Jeff D.
Jul 13, 2019, 09:16 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Check the logs for the telemetry receivers, they will show what's happening in RF land. If you don't have telemetry logs turned on, do so ASAP, that's the only way to know what you are really seeing.

No Pulse failsafe should be used when sending SBus data to an FC, it's not the correct one for fixed wing, you should use zero throttle (not cut) and neutral surface settings.
Jul 16, 2019, 10:52 AM
How do you turn on the telemetry logs?

Alan
Jul 16, 2019, 12:38 PM
If you are running FrOS, go into Special Functions. Then you can assign a switch, pot, or other condition to initiate the log function. I start the log function on my gas engines when I flick the switch to enable ignition. On electrics, when I enable the motor/ESC.

With FrOS, the log files are saved to the SD card, so make sure your SD card is installed in the radio.
Jul 16, 2019, 03:53 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
I use a global function (in the radio/sys setup menu on OpenTX) and set SD logging to On with a 1s interval.

That way it's always on for all my aircraft.

Quick Reply