May 24, 2020, 06:30 AM
Gone with the Mistral
After some flights with HQ and DAL props, I tend to prefer the DAL props, "average speed" is slightly better and less noisy when punchout.
Still not satisfied with the tune, but this thing is great to fly anyway.
Eachine Tyro 129 (4 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
May 28, 2020, 03:06 AM
So, last weekend I had some time to tune my Tyro119.
After playing with PIDs, I was happy with the feeling but I could still see some virbations in the HD footage from my GoPro.
Tried tuning the filters in Betaflight, but no luck. The vibrations were still there. Went home grumpy...

At home, I plugged the quad to my PC, ran BF Configurator and went to the Motors-tab to spin the motors one by one. "Something has to cause these vibrations" I said to myself.
And there it was. With motor nr 4 barely spinning at 1009 input on the slider, I saw that is was bent... I could feel it, hear it and see it.
A slight wobbling motor became a violently shaking piece of metal, throwing a lot of vibrations into the quad...
Now I was pissed.. I never crash landed this quadcopter, this motor had a bent shaft from the start..

On the other hand, I could'nt believe it actually flies pretty well with a motor that crappy. The Betaflight devs did a good job on that one.

After some overnight thinking, I went with a pair of new iFlight Xing 2207 2450kv motors, slapping back some good ol' 5 inch props on this thing.
Did a complete reflash with Emuflight and had my first "awww yes" flying-moment a few evenings ago.

Moral of the story: for € 99 you can't go wrong with this quadcopter, but you see were the cost-cutting has happened.
May 28, 2020, 11:11 AM
Cost cutting yes but you should have checked all that [and balanced your props] before the first flight while programming it on the bench. Cost cutting doesn't mean defective parts are the norm. I over the years have had defective Expensive parts too. Because you didn't check all this you wasted your own time.
May 29, 2020, 04:04 AM
The cost-cutting on this is mostly the lack of good Quality Control and use of certain parts with lower quality in general.
I'm not saying it's all bad, because for its price it is a very decent quadcopter.
But a motor with an aluminium top shaft will damage more quickly than one with a steel or titanium shaft.

PS: I used T-motor props wich are very balanced straight out of the package. Yes, I check them.
May 29, 2020, 11:47 PM
I understand what you a re saying that cost cutting is a lack of quality control and parts of lower quality. You seem experienced in this hobby I would assume and would know that this type of quality would require even more scrutiny. I would still argue your lack of basic testing cost you time and energy that could have been diagnosed very easily. I may be one of the lucky ones but my tyro 119 tested out fine. My props were terrible and I balanced them and went to another 2 blade prop I balanced. My tyro69 on the other hand has been a nightmare.

PS no matter the manufacturer of props I do not ever trust they are ever balanced. I balance everything.
Last edited by TURBOOMNI; May 29, 2020 at 11:53 PM.
May 30, 2020, 12:21 AM
Enjoying this quad and the flight times I am getting.
Hope to try some flips etc and to start pushing myself.

Eachine tyro 129 early morning cruise. (13 min 8 sec)
May 30, 2020, 07:28 AM
Gone with the Mistral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagesntaged View Post
Enjoying this quad and the flight times I am getting.
Me too. I did flew 3 batteries this morning with some light wind.
I start to think the light oscillations (not visible from fpv feed) I get are throttle/rpm related, not speed/wind related like I was thinking few months ago. Good news is the quad reacts to pid/filter adjustments, bad or good, so there is still hope I think. More tuning fun to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagesntaged View Post
Hope to try some flips etc and to start pushing myself.
come on man, put some water under the keel and GO
May 30, 2020, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztoon13 View Post
Me too. I did flew 3 batteries this morning with some light wind.
I start to think the light oscillations (not visible from fpv feed) I get are throttle/rpm related, not speed/wind related like I was thinking few months ago. Good news is the quad reacts to pid/filter adjustments, bad or good, so there is still hope I think. More tuning fun to come.

come on man, put some water under the keel and GO
Yeah I had a play about with the pids and filters and have it almost where I want it. Although not mounting an HD cam I have no idea if I'm picking up oscillations or not.
I will say though, that in a cross wind she can be a bit bumpy, like a plane flying through light turbulence.

Yeah I'm gonna do it. Im just enjoying the freedom of flight still lol.
Jun 03, 2020, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOOMNI View Post
I understand what you a re saying that cost cutting is a lack of quality control and parts of lower quality. You seem experienced in this hobby I would assume and would know that this type of quality would require even more scrutiny. I would still argue your lack of basic testing cost you time and energy that could have been diagnosed very easily. I may be one of the lucky ones but my tyro 119 tested out fine. My props were terrible and I balanced them and went to another 2 blade prop I balanced. My tyro69 on the other hand has been a nightmare.

PS no matter the manufacturer of props I do not ever trust they are ever balanced. I balance everything.
Don't get me wrong, you're absolutely right that it's my own mistake. I should've checked it better, it would have cost me a lot less energy to solve an issue I could not solve

Now, about the Tyro: with the new Xing 2207's on Azure Johnny props she is flying great! I flashed ßF 4.2 on her yesterday after viewing JB's video on it. I'm going with the Cinematic tune. Hopefully the weather stays OK for the next few days
Jun 12, 2020, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarsNL View Post
Don't get me wrong, you're absolutely right that it's my own mistake. I should've checked it better, it would have cost me a lot less energy to solve an issue I could not solve

Now, about the Tyro: with the new Xing 2207's on Azure Johnny props she is flying great! I flashed ßF 4.2 on her yesterday after viewing JB's video on it. I'm going with the Cinematic tune. Hopefully the weather stays OK for the next few days
Which firmware did you flash? Matek F405STD?
Jun 15, 2020, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ffi View Post
Which firmware did you flash? Matek F405STD?
Yes. It gave me some issues in the beginning, but now it looks and feels just fine.
Jun 16, 2020, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Yes. It gave me some issues in the beginning, but now it looks and feels just fine.
Could you explain what kind of issued occured? And how you finally figure out?
Jun 16, 2020, 05:18 PM
Hello all. I present to you my slightly modernized Tyro129.
Jun 17, 2020, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ffi View Post
Could you explain what kind of issued occured? And how you finally figure out?
Sure thing.
- I could'nt get SmartAudio working on BF 4.1 on the target MATEKF405STD (MTKS). The VTX Table values would scramble up for no reason. Also, I could'nt get Raceband working on 200 mW, it just flipped back to Pitmode ON (when this happens, you have to go into your SA settings via OSD, and set the Raceband to Free. In my case, it did'nt work).
- I had trouble with setting the right Ports Configuration on BF 4.1 on the target MATEKF405STD (MTKS), even after loading the pre-config settings. GPS is on UART 1, SmartAudio on UART 3. But the GPS did not work.
- Not all settings were saved after hitting the 'Save' button. Just strange behaviour.

In BF 4.2 it works perfectly. Right after flashing, I loaded the VTX table for the Eachine TX805 and it works flawlessly. Activated GPS in the Config tab and it worked immediately. Now when I click Save or Reboot, it saves and reboots just fine.
Jun 17, 2020, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Sure thing.
- I could'nt get SmartAudio working on BF 4.1 on the target MATEKF405STD (MTKS). The VTX Table values would scramble up for no reason. Also, I could'nt get Raceband working on 200 mW, it just flipped back to Pitmode ON (when this happens, you have to go into your SA settings via OSD, and set the Raceband to Free. In my case, it did'nt work).
- I had trouble with setting the right Ports Configuration on BF 4.1 on the target MATEKF405STD (MTKS), even after loading the pre-config settings. GPS is on UART 1, SmartAudio on UART 3. But the GPS did not work.
- Not all settings were saved after hitting the 'Save' button. Just strange behaviour.

In BF 4.2 it works perfectly. Right after flashing, I loaded the VTX table for the Eachine TX805 and it works flawlessly. Activated GPS in the Config tab and it worked immediately. Now when I click Save or Reboot, it saves and reboots just fine.
So you can upload MATEKF405STD software without any problems? Are these the only problems you have encountered? And how about the flight experience?

Quick Reply