Jul 11, 2019, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

There’s a grasshopper in my yard!

I want to share some cool news with all of my modeling friends.

I built this peanut scale model of an L4 grasshopper many years ago to compete in the scale event in the NIRAC competition. It was modeled after a friends L4 that he restored. He ended up selling the plane, and I had wished that I had purchased it, but I did not have the cash at the time. However, at 55 years of age I finally purchased my own L4. It is a true warbird. It was restored as a 1945 L4-J. My friends know that I live on a private airfield that has been in my family for over 70 years. However, It has been over 30 years since I owned an airplane!

These are some pictures, and some short videos.

Joe.

Bringing my new L4 Cub home! (0 min 59 sec)

My new L4 Cub taking off Malinchak Private! (0 min 33 sec)
Last edited by Joe Malinchak; Sep 18, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 12, 2019, 07:54 AM
Congratulations Joe. That L4 could not have found a better home!

Ralph
Jul 12, 2019, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Malinchak
... I finally purchased my own L4.
Sounds like a dream come true -- congratulations!

Gene K
Jul 12, 2019, 09:52 PM
Thread OP
Thanks guys, I am still in a little shock that I own an L4. I was going to wait until next year to start looking for an airplane. Then I found this beautiful L4 for sale that was located near Philadelphia, and could not pass it up. It is not east to find one in this condition. The guy that owned it also owns a P51, and several other aircraft. Check out his aircraft that he has in his hanger. He has his own personal mechanic working for him who took great care of this airplane.

Joe.
Jul 12, 2019, 11:57 PM
Scale Builder
Ah yes, the beautiful fleet belonging to Jim Beasley's "Bald Eagle Aviation" and carefully looked after by Rich Palmer. No doubt your L4 came to you in top notch condition, congratulations on your purchase.
Jul 13, 2019, 09:19 AM
Proud of you buddy! An amazing modeller having an actual plane of his own! I hope to reach that goal too at some point! A dream come true
Jul 13, 2019, 09:44 AM
Aedificem ergo sum
Congrats Joe - that is really awesome. One of my clubmates (who is also an A&P) just bought a 1/3 scale L-4. He will be really jealous when he sees this!

You know, I bet Arnie would let you fly it in to NEAT

Mike C.
Jul 14, 2019, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Hi Chad,

Jim and Rich are both great guys, and they were both a big help in making this purchase happen.

RNAF
I am sure you can reach the goal of owning you own plane. You can find a good used airplane for the price of a new car. The key is to find one that was well maintained, with low time on the airframe and engine.

Mike,

I would love to see a picture of his 1/3 scale L-4!

I thought about flying her into NEAT at the noon demos on Sunday. However, I am planning a dinner at my house for anyone in our group on Sunday for some more model airplane flying, and some L4 flying if you and your wife are interested?

Joe.
Jul 14, 2019, 11:40 AM
Quote:
... for some more model airplane flying, and some L4 flying ... .
Joe,

What are you currently flying in your real job?

Gene K
Jul 14, 2019, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
I am currently flying the E-190 for American out of Philadelphia, but I have been awarded the A320. They are holding me on the E-190 for a few more months until they schedule my training.
Jul 14, 2019, 10:44 PM
Aircraft Designer Guy
Congrats Joe!!!
Latest blog entry: Star Wars A-Wing Submarine
Jul 16, 2019, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
The only problem with the L4 is that I am trying to complete a few projects for NEAT, and I am having trouble finding the time! Do I fly the L4, or build some new models?
Jul 17, 2019, 11:17 AM
Quote:
I am currently flying the E-190 for American out of Philadelphia, .
Crew here refers to the Embraer as the ' Jungle Jet
Jul 24, 2019, 11:38 AM
Flying every chance I get!
Quote:
The only problem with the L4 is that I am trying to complete a few projects for NEAT, and I am having trouble finding the time! Do I fly the L4, or build some new models?
I vote for new models, but I love the L4!
Aug 01, 2019, 12:18 AM
Thread OP
I am not doing a great job at completing my 1909 Wright Flyer project I started years ago, but I have plans to start working on it again. This is the drive system for it!

I had the idea of using O rings for the chains. I mentioned this to my late friend Stefan Gasparin, and he made the drive system for me. I need to complete the model in honor of him.

Joe.

Quick Reply