This thread is privately moderated by Terry Dean, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 11, 2019, 12:34 PM
Trader Rating: 14
Thread OP
$300.00 USD
Buyer pays shipping
For Sale

More 1960's Antique R/C Equipment

I'm going out on a limb here because all I built and flew back in the early 1960's was small 1/2A free flight models. We had a HUGE old grass field airport (Mexico Farms, in Cumberland, MD) to fly from, so I had no interest in R/C. All I ever did was help hand launch his models and replace rubber bands on the escapements. Everything here has been stored in our closets since the mid- late 60's. All the batteries were removed when the parts were taken out of flying service.

For those of you who will recall this equipment, the photos should tell all. I have several R/C systems used by my Dad in the early-to-mid 1960's. Before this, he was designing his own systems and making his own printed circuit boards at home.

To put this equipment (and the ad from yesterday) in the proper time frame, Dad's AMA number was 1541. My brother, Jim, Jr., retained this number all through his career with Dare Design up until just a few years ago. That number has since been retired.

This setup is the old "Controlaire" System that he used in his Dare Design and Engineering 70" Gypsy Moth. For some reason he never put that model in production in the early days of Dare Design kits. He removed it from the plane after flying it for many years because of nearby CB interference. I have little doubt that this system, and the MIN-X, would still be functional, but only on the bench-top and not in the air!

I've been told many prices by several vintage R/C guys. From a little to a lot, and all were just guessing or reminiscing I'm sure. Any assistance here, or realistic offers will be appreciated. I honestly have no idea of the worth of this setup.

As a note of interest; I seem to recall that Dad shipped numerous early systems to his friends in Australia because they used these systems long after they became useless here in America.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2019, 01:27 PM
Trader Rating: 42
Love it, remember them.

Quick Reply