Jul 11, 2019, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Best bang for buck gas plane for hovering

Hi guys,

I have been practicing my hovering on foam 3D planes.

Now I would like to try hovering a gas plane with smoke.

Just after everybody's opinion of what would be the best bang for buck air frame and motor.

I need something with enough power to punch out of a hover if and when things start to get ugly!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2019, 07:25 AM
First, I have to warn you, gassers are not very forgiving when it comes to hover practice, especially one capable of ballistic punch out. That's going to be a pretty lightweight plane that's not going to do well if it contacts the ground with anything but it's landing gear.....

Second, need to get an idea of your budget and/or how big a plane are you thinking of?
Jul 11, 2019, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks
First, I have to warn you, gassers are not very forgiving when it comes to hover practice, especially one capable of ballistic punch out. That's going to be a pretty lightweight plane that's not going to do well if it contacts the ground with anything but it's landing gear.....

Second, need to get an idea of your budget and/or how big a plane are you thinking of?
Yes all noted.

In regards to size and cost, as small and cheap as feasible.

I prefer to spend a bit extra for quality though.
Jul 11, 2019, 07:44 PM
My vote-
DLE 20 RA. Best power to weight ratio available, and for it's compact foot print.

28% 67" Pilot Edge. There's nothing else available in this size that can even come close to the 7.5lbs this plane weighs. Edge platform for it's outstanding low speed handling.

https://www.pilotrcusa.com/product/edge-540-v3-67/
Jul 11, 2019, 08:04 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
My vote-
DLE 20 RA. Best power to weight ratio available, and for it's compact foot print.

28% 67" Pilot Edge. There's nothing else available in this size that can even come close to the 7.5lbs this plane weighs. Edge platform for it's outstanding low speed handling.

Thank you.

What would the power to weight ratio be like for this combo, hovering.

Would it punch out of a low level hover if things started to go pear-shaped.

One thing that I have noticed with hovering is if the plane starts to fall sideways more than 5% - 10% it can take a lot of power to get out of the situation.
Jul 11, 2019, 08:16 PM
DLE 20 way more than capable of pulling out of a hover with a 7.5 lb plane. It will toss a 7.5 lb plane around like a rag doll.

In a 10 lb plane, a DLE 20 will have unlimited vertical. Anything below that weight will allow it to accelerate while going vertical.

At 7.5 lbs, the weight of a lot of the profile types that we used to be able to get pretty easily, they're just silly stupid with the amount of power available.

All that said, you STILL have to FLY out of a hover! A hover gone sideways can leave you in a disorienting attitude that will take a lot of experience to fly out of/recover from.
Jul 11, 2019, 09:56 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
DLE 20 way more than capable of pulling out of a hover with a 7.5 lb plane. It will toss a 7.5 lb plane around like a rag doll.

In a 10 lb plane, a DLE 20 will have unlimited vertical. Anything below that weight will allow it to accelerate while going vertical.

At 7.5 lbs, the weight of a lot of the profile types that we used to be able to get pretty easily, they're just silly stupid with the amount of power available.

All that said, you STILL have to FLY out of a hover! A hover gone sideways can leave you in a disorienting attitude that will take a lot of experience to fly out of/recover from.
Is the RA version of the DLE 20 any more powerful the non RA version?
Jul 12, 2019, 06:39 AM
No, not really. They both pull very similar rpm on the same size props.
Jul 13, 2019, 01:29 PM
Fly low and fast
Quote:
My vote-

Yep +1, excellent advice
Jul 13, 2019, 05:21 PM
The pilot Edge is a great choice.
I would suggest practicing inverted circles and figure eights. If your foamie begins to fall out of a hover, try flying away in the direction it falls. If you can get used to recovering inverted or upright you'll find you don't need to add much (if any ) power and its a much more relaxed and controlled way of recovering.

Best of luck!

Dave
Last edited by DJH.; Jul 15, 2019 at 12:40 PM.
Jul 18, 2019, 07:35 AM
The Pilot is a great choice for power to weight ratio. It is a poor choice if you so much as touch the ground with anything other than the wheels or even perform a rough landing as they are fragile. This is their trick to being light, though. I wish I had a stockpile of these little gems! Mine is the Extra 330 and one of the best I've flown. Any mistakes it makes in flight are due to your thumbs or wind as these go where you tell them to. This was a glitch in high wind rolling due to the trees and resulted in a broken engine mount and several fuse cracks. It still flies like a champ after a bit of glue but this was only a light thump with a lot of cracks.
High Wind Harrier Training (0 min 44 sec)
Jul 20, 2019, 10:39 PM
30 yrs. Of Aircraft flying!
Quote:
My vote-

not the OP Guess i had never looked at that plane. wow seems very light. with a DLE20ra will it really be under 8 pounds. wow i knows its smaller then the Edge i ussed to have it was a 74" but was heavy at 13.5 pounds

what servos would be good for this Edge 540? im looking for a smaller gas plane.

Quick Reply