Jul 20, 2019, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libelle201B
The grilling smell smells really great for the right, but the cook ie Barr is a fraud, a guy that thought he could cook up something great while at the same time poisoning any thought he was a good cook.
One has to wonder. What caused Lindsy Graham to derail? What caused Barr to sell his soul to the devil and destroy a good reputation?

Both are smart enough men that must have known they couldn't sell the BS to anyone other than a base. Why would these men throw their integrity to the wind by the dishonesty and deceptions? It flat has me flummoxed.

I hate it... but I've become cynical... and have concluded that they are owned, either due to selling what they could for profit or by extortion.
Jul 20, 2019, 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
One has to wonder. What caused Lindsy Graham to derail? What caused Barr to sell his soul to the devil and destroy a good reputation?

Both are smart enough men that must have known they couldn't sell the BS to anyone other than a base. Why would these men throw their integrity to the wind by the dishonesty and deceptions? It flat has me flummoxed.

I hate it... but I've become cynical... and have concluded that they are owned, either due to selling what they could for profit or by extortion.
I don’t recall exactly the source but Barr has been a legal entity and part of the Republican establishment going way back as a cover or enabler for republican malfeasance.
Jul 20, 2019, 09:59 PM
already ruff, trying for ready
Quote:
Graham wants re-election. Barr wanted to be AG. If you are in the GOP, the path to those is kowtow to Trump.

It has always been this way. Trump's historically unique characteristics for a U.S. President just makes it more striking.

Here's two examples to show this is nothing new:
1. LBJ despised JFK. But, JFK got the nomination in 1960. LBJ saw the VP slot as desirable. Presto, he's now working with a guy he hates.
2. "Politics makes strange bedfellows". The phrase has been around since at least 1850.

Barr and Graham don't like Trump. They both like the power and prestige of high office. They do what they have to, to attain what they want.
Jul 21, 2019, 02:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin Ready
Graham wants re-election. Barr wanted to be AG. If you are in the GOP, the path to those is kowtow to Trump.

It has always been this way. Trump's historically unique characteristics for a U.S. President just makes it more striking.

Here's two examples to show this is nothing new:
1. LBJ despised JFK. But, JFK got the nomination in 1960. LBJ saw the VP slot as desirable. Presto, he's now working with a guy he hates.
2. "Politics makes strange bedfellows". The phrase has been around since at least 1850.

Barr and Graham don't like Trump. They both like the power and prestige of high office. They do what they have to, to attain what they want.
No doubt you are correct.

Right or wrong... Trump is their man.... but I'd add... until he isn't.
Jul 21, 2019, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Right or wrong... Trump is their man.... but I'd add... until he isn't.
Yes, should Trump not win re-election it will be amazing how quickly the likes of Graham and Barr 'repent'.

Politicians typically wish to be liked by voters, and take great pains to groom their public persona. Many succeed so well that people often feel they "like" some of them. Beware ever liking a politician - a profession that rewards people who are good at manipulation. IMO top positions in elected or appointed office tend to attract the toughest competitors. Traits in top competitors often include things like ruthlessness, amorality, flexible ethics and narcissism. Trump, Barr and Graham share all of these.

Trump displays his bad side far more than most politicians because he can. He built his base by appealing to their most visceral emotions; the base will therefore overlook a lot and Trump knows it. He even said it himself with his "shoot someone in Central Park" comment. Privately I think Trump laughs at the stupidity of his base. My experience is most con men have contempt for their marks.

Trump's negative traits make us gasp at how people we considered respectable like Barr and Graham could possibly tolerate him. The answer is, Barr and Graham were always ruthless, amoral, etc. Trump is useful in exposing that their supposed 'principles' were not principles at all, they were window dressing to create the illusion of likability. Barr, Trump and Graham are more similar than you realized. The only difference is just one of them never cared for building an image as likable.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffin Ready
Yes, should Trump not win re-election it will be amazing how quickly the likes of Graham and Barr 'repent'.

Politicians typically wish to be liked by voters, and take great pains to groom their public persona. Many succeed so well that people often feel they "like" some of them. Beware ever liking a politician - a profession that rewards people who are good at manipulation. IMO top positions in elected or appointed office tend to attract the toughest competitors. Traits in top competitors often include things like ruthlessness, amorality, flexible ethics and narcissism. Trump, Barr and Graham share all of these.

Trump displays his bad side far more than most politicians because he can. He built his base by appealing to their most visceral emotions; the base will therefore overlook a lot and Trump knows it. He even said it himself with his "shoot someone in Central Park" comment. Privately I think Trump laughs at the stupidity of his base. My experience is most con men have contempt for their marks.

Trump's negative traits make us gasp at how people we considered respectable like Barr and Graham could possibly tolerate him. The answer is, Barr and Graham were always ruthless, amoral, etc. Trump is useful in exposing that their supposed 'principles' were not principles at all, they were window dressing to create the illusion of likability. Barr, Trump and Graham are more similar than you realized. The only difference is just one of them never cared for building an image as likable.
Good post.

It is a reminder that Trump is not the problem, but as Tim Alberta (author of American Carnage) has pointed out, is the greatest manifestation of the problem.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Good post.

It is a reminder that Trump is not the problem, but as Tim Alberta (author of American Carnage) has pointed out, is the greatest manifestation of the problem.
I agree. JFK, Reagan, Bush II, Palin, Obama, and now Trump were all major candidates who were arguably more show than substance. Due to the rise of electronic media, elections are now mainly about appearances, not substance.

America has overcome many challenges in her history. The combination of free speech and electronic communication has created a witches brew where actual qualifications are barely and rarely a major factor in who gets elected. The future of the nation rests on solving this issue. We can probably survive Trump. I am not sure we can survive an endless procession of appearance without substance.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:57 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:

Graham derailed?

Barr is upholding the law. That is selling your soul to the devil?
Jul 21, 2019, 11:41 AM
Graham does a complete 180 from his pre election comments, and Barr is beyond belief.

Looking more like pre WW2 in Germany every day.

Look for Brown shirts with Trump labels coming to the market soon!
Jul 21, 2019, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492
Graham derailed?

Barr is upholding the law. That is selling your soul to the devil?
Both Graham and Barr have showed their lack of ability to serve all Americans.

AOC... is exactly right... a public servant's job is to serve all of America... to serve every constituent whether they voted for her or not. They are not elected or appointed to serve the Republican party. Both Graham and Barr are fails.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:27 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Both Graham and Barr have showed their lack of ability to serve all Americans.

AOC... is exactly right... a public servant's job is to serve all of America... to serve every constituent whether they voted for her or not. They are not elected or appointed to serve the Republican party. Both Graham and Barr are fails.
Seems they are doing an excellent job. Barr is upholding the rule of law. That is his job and he is doing it very well.

AOC only focuses on serving a very small segment of America.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Seems they are doing an excellent job. Barr is upholding the rule of law. That is his job and he is doing it very well.

AOC only focuses on serving a very small segment of America.
Barr has been held in contempt of congress for his obstruction of the investigation that the constitution empowers congress to conduct. Thus... Barr is not upholding the rule of law governing our nation.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:45 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
Barr has been held in contempt of congress for his obstruction of the investigation that the constitution empowers congress to conduct. Thus... Barr is not upholding the rule of law governing our nation.
Barr is doing his job and obeying the law. His job is not to play politics or help the Democrats in the house with their political attacks. The House is putting their political agenda above the law.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:51 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Quote:
The deputy AG blasted the Democrats in the House for their pathetic actions and political theater.

Quote:
“We are talking about what is, unfortunately, the crassest form of political theater, and from where I stand, I'm deeply disappointed that the House leadership would proceed in that way, with something that is so obviously beneath the dignity of the offices that they hold,” he told reporters, during an event on criminal justice reform.

“It's really a new low for the current House of Representatives.”
Quote:
Rosen reminded lawmakers on Friday that “it’s not too late to reverse course.”

“The House of Representatives could reconsider, revoke its action and apologize to the attorney general. And that's what they should do,” he said.
Jul 21, 2019, 01:06 PM
Quote:
Barr is doing his job and obeying the law. His job is not to play politics or help the Democrats in the house with their political attacks. The House is putting their political agenda above the law.
So you say... Congress on the other hand was given a mandate by the constitution to be a check on unreasonable actions by the president and given the power to impeach and to do that, to investigate the presidents actions.

Americans want congress to investigate by 53 to 45. That makes it a mandate that they do so to fulfill both their constitutional mandate and the will of the nation.

Quick Reply