Jul 10, 2019, 02:25 PM
Thread OP
Help!

Need advice on spinner design

I hope some of the bright minds in this forum can help me come up with a safe design of a spinner for a 1/8 scale Hawker Tempest. I've got a long ongoing build log over in the Scale/Scratch forum. My CAD skills are limited and I'm using mostly Tinkercad to make my 3D designs. My main aim is to have a spinner that doesn't fall apart during use and poses no danger to the surrounding environment.

The specs of the spinner are as follows:
  • Height : 85mm (approx)
  • Diameter: 100mm (approx)

Power will be 6S, and the motor being used for the model is a Turnigy SK3 5055-430kv.

Due to the size of this spinner it will need to be pretty sturdy. Are there any tested recommendations on wall thickness of cone and backplate when it comes to such 3D printer parts? The wall of the cone is currently around 3mm, and the two parts will come out with a weight of around 53 grams when printed with 0.1 layer height and 30% infill. The backplate should probably be printed with a higher infill rate to withstand the compression forces of the prop nut. The cone is planned to be secured to the backplate by at least 4 small screws from the side, and a bolt from the tip and into the prop adapter.

I have included the STL files if anyone wants to inspect the parts.

Would love to hear what the experts think of this design? Is it a lost cause? Should I improve any parts of the design?

- Thomas
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 04:36 PM
The spinner looks great, but it doesn’t needs this thickness and no infill at all.

I made one spinner lot more irregular because is a 3 blade spinner for a 2 blade dubro kit and with just 0.8mm works great and can sustain near 12000rpm . The base is aluminum from the kit.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3224514

Because the size of your spinner 1.2 or 1.6mm will be enough (3 to 4 perimeters).
One important thing is the union between the cone and the base. In the case of dubro system it has a little rabbet around the disc and the cone has the corespondent tab. I think this support the open perimeter of the cone against the centrifugal forces and avoid cracking and explode.

A good join can be made with 2.5mm screws or bolt and nuts included in the base.

Remember to test it with glasses and , without the propeller, you can sand it and get a smooth surface.

Good luck
Jul 11, 2019, 02:38 AM
No need at all to be that strong and heavy. I have a blog entry explaining how to design the cone. In this case it is for a folding propeller, but sure you can take some hints. Spanish, but Google makes a decent translation.

How to design: http://gilitadas.com/blog/diseno-3d-...lice-plegable/

Final result: http://gilitadas.com/blog/mis-trabaj...esion-3d/#cono
Jul 11, 2019, 01:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for your time and input rajazo and Breitlingwings. Much appreciated.

The current design has a lip at the bottom of the cone that mates with a similar cut-away section of the backplate. I have changed the design a bit and reduced the thickness of the cone. Will do a test print and see how it turns out.

Breitlingwings - that blog entry of yours on how to do the spinner is brilliant! Just need to get a Windows machine I can run Fusion360 on now.

Thanks again!

- Thomas

Quick Reply