Jul 10, 2019, 06:58 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Experiencing Flight Phobia

I only fly sport planes. Some of them are scale, but I think they still fit in the sport plane category.

I've been flying:
Great Planes Waco YMF-5D Biplane ARF .91,72" https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXAAVT&P=ML

Phoenix Model 1/5 Ryan STA GP/EP/Gas ARF 70.8" https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?I=LXETVD&P=ML

Z-526 Zlin Akrobat GP/EP ARF http://www.greatplanes.com/discontinued/gpma1024.php

Last Summer I flew almost morning and went through 6 gallons of glow fuel!

During the winter I fly the Ember 2 RTF (https://www.horizonhobby.com/ember-2-rtf-pkz3400) and Mini Vapor (https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...r-bnf-pkzu1280) I also tried to use a flight simulator.

Last Summer my flying skills must have been pretty good. This year, it's been kinda rough. I guess I'm suffering from flight phobia? When I get up in the air I start doubting myself and feel shaky. I'm still trying to figure out what is making me feel so insecure. I can put forward one possibility. This year the Ryan crashed. Something mysterious went wrong with my radio system. The plane began making little short dives and recovering. I decided to land. As soon as I was getting it into position and went to idle. All radio contact was lost. Now I'm building a new Ryan.

It is taking a lot of examining and speculation as to what caused the failure. Currently my Radio System is at Hitec being looked at. I also noticed that an extension that I had on the battery may have caused the situation. Really hard to tell for sure. I'm afraid that there might be two issues that caused what happened.

I'm still kicking myself over the battery extension. The story goes like this. I needed an extension for my battery pack but I couldn't buy the ones I normally buy. I found some on Amazon, and they fit really snug. What I didn't realize is that they don't plug in all the way. They look like they do, until you tug on the wire and notice that there is just a little play on the inside. It's just enough to make a receiver light go out. But I had to tug to make it happen. The question is was the vibration from the glow engine enough? I don't know. One thing is for sure, it was a failure waiting to happen. After grinding some plastic off the plugs and refitting them, the connection issue goes away. NOW I'm able to get the extensions I wanted to buy, and therefor all my Amazon extensions are going to be replaced on this build. I can't wait to hear what Hitec finds out about my radio system.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2019, 10:53 AM
I try very hard to never use an extension on my battery!
Jul 17, 2019, 12:37 PM
Thread OP
It seems to me that anyone that doesn't use extensions on a battery pack, must either A) Build their own battery pack with longer wires. Or B) Clip the wires off an existing battery pack and solder on longer wires. No matter what you got to be able to put the battery pack in the correct location dictated by the Center of Gravity.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:26 PM
yank and bank!!
Or you could move the esc in many cases.... just extend the motor wires.
Jul 18, 2019, 08:40 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
Fail, he is talking about a rx battery for a glow engine.
Jul 18, 2019, 02:58 PM
Thread OP
You can see pictures of my crashed Ryan in this thread: How Does a Frequency Jammer Effect R/C Airplanes?

The extensions that was on the plane when it crashed: JR / Spektrum / Hitec Style Servo Extension Variety Pack
Jul 18, 2019, 07:22 PM
Every plug and socket connection is another location for a possible failure.
If you need longer wires use soldered joints.
Jul 19, 2019, 12:23 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorneng
Every plug and socket connection is another location for a possible failure.
If you need longer wires use soldered joints.
I may not need longer wires this time. I'm confused with the New Ryan ARF. Same ARF Kit. My first one was nose heavy and I needed to put the battery pack farther back. I built this ARF the same way I built the last one. Using the same battery and radio system and yet this one is tail heavy.
Jul 25, 2019, 09:28 AM
Make sure that your battery harness/ switch and all battery and servo connections are good by wiggling/pull testing. Make sure all servos are good and linkage and hinging are not binding drawing excess current and causing receiver "brown out/reset" problems. Not all receivers have the same low supply voltage characteristics. Test flight battery under load with ESV meter. Range test system with engine running per transmitter instructions and have somebody watch for glitches in control surface movements.

Have any others had similar loss of control events at your field? I and others at my urban area field have had unexplained crashes which we suspect were caused by cell phone or industrial radio interference. Hasn't happened again for some time though. I use an Aurora 9 and Optima receivers. After an unexplained crash, it takes some uneventful flights to regain confidence

Quick Reply