Jul 09, 2019, 11:58 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Most commonly used Lipo config and capacity?

Hi all, may I know which Lipo config (1/2/3s etc) and capacity (in mah) are mostly used during your “flight career”?

I ask this because I’m going to shop for some larger heli; but when it come to Lipo usage I was stuck by so many options to choose from.

I want to limit my Lipo inventory to only 2-3 types. But that also means the heli size is also limited. So I hope to see if experienced pilots here can provide some insights on this. Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 10, 2019, 05:45 AM
Thread OP
A bit more note — I’m not going to drive sth bigger than 300 class; so probably 4s or above is not required. Thanks.
Jul 12, 2019, 05:07 AM
Without going into specifics, you should bear in mind that you can double the mAh by running batteries in parallel, and you can double voltage by running them in series.

As an example, I have some 6S 2600mAh packs that I use alone in a 500 size heli, or two in parallel in my 550 size heli, or two in series for 12S in a large fixed-wing model.

So maybe some 2S 2200s and some 3S 2500s would do the job for you, in various combinations.
Jul 12, 2019, 07:30 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for that advice.

Combine several smaller Lipos into one bigger one is indeed a viable interim solution. That will need some cable and adapters to do so. Will try out in case.

Speaking of lipo selection, I think I better have some 3s lipo (around 1000-2000 mah) ready for any purpose based on your idea....combine them just in case. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jul 13, 2019, 02:26 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Some over thinking going on here. Battery size is entirely dependant on the size of the heli you fly. For example I mainly use 6S 4400-5000mAh batteries which I can use singly in a 500mm blade heli or two in series in a 700-800 size heli. But that's not much use to you if you fly micros no bigger than 300 class

Fortunately micro heli batteries are generally very cheap, so having to have a 'strategic plan' of what size battery you use isn't really necessary. Also trying to parallel up smaller packs isn't a great idea with micros, they tend to be quite tight on space for batteries and fitting in the extra wiring and connectors would likely be a problem, weight is a challenge with micros too. I'd recommend to just buy some batteries to suit your chosen micro heli.
Jul 13, 2019, 07:05 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for that JetPlaneFlyer.

Indeed it’s always okay to buy batteries to adapt the (ever growing) heli fleet....I just hope to get the most out of them by using them on as many heli as possible. Storage and budget are always my issue too as I don’t have too much space and budget to fuel my hobby...every slot and dollar count.

I will try my best. Thanks.

Jul 15, 2019, 01:47 PM
i would worry more about limiting your 'fleet' than batteries .. for example i have a 250 i can fly on 2 or 3s depending on motor mostly and capacity needs to match the heli for weight reasons and your final decision on that will be based on how you like to set up etc .. so buy batteries as needed, you dont need a whole lot imo 3 per heli works out good, replace them as they go out .... some helis have alot less demand on batteries to and sometimes you can cut out cells and recombine to make 'pounder packs' for the lesser picky helis ..
Jul 16, 2019, 01:38 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squishums
i would worry more about limiting your 'fleet' than batteries .. for example i have a 250 i can fly on 2 or 3s depending on motor mostly and capacity needs to match the heli for weight reasons and your final decision on that will be based on how you like to set up etc .. so buy batteries as needed, you dont need a whole lot imo 3 per heli works out good, replace them as they go out .... some helis have alot less demand on batteries to and sometimes you can cut out cells and recombine to make 'pounder packs' for the lesser picky helis ..

Thanks Squishums for your advices.

Indeed limiting my fleet would be another topic, but since I have agreed with my wife to only have several “parking lot” for heli so that depends on her thought...^^”

Speaking of heli setup & customisations...that’s my next topic as I just jump into this hobby and learning all alone. Currently most model I’m flying are using recommended settings (except TX setting). When I finally figure out how to put all the things together (in my next heli or 2) I should go and play around all related stuff. That would be long journey...

Again, thanks!

Quick Reply