Jul 09, 2019, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Alert

Found Pike Superior at IRKS field

We have hosted several F3B and F3J events over the years during which planes have landed way out. Most have been recovered. Yesterday one turned up which has been lost for at least several years. It appears to be a Pike Superior. Anyone have any thoughts as to who it belongs to?? Arrangements can be made to return it. IRKS is the Indian River Kontrol Society and the field is located in central Brevard County Florida. The owner can provide details about the plane to verify ownership and we will work out its return.
Best, Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 08:09 PM
Fly, Fish or F#@%
That field ate planes all day long at the F3J Team selection, sometimes even the same plane a couple of times in a day lol.
Glad I got my X 4.0 back the same day it went in!
Jul 10, 2019, 09:58 AM
In 2011 I lost all 3 planes at the Team Selection. I got one back from a tree climber before I left.
I can't even remember what I was flying then - I think they were orange perfects...

Jim
Jul 10, 2019, 01:08 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
I think Gavin lost a Pike down there. I'll ping him on here to contact you.
Jul 10, 2019, 01:12 PM
Thread OP

Not a Perfect

Sorry Jim. The plane boldly proclaims it is a "Superior"
Jul 10, 2019, 01:38 PM
Barney Fife, Vigilante
Verified not Gavin's. His was a Pike Plus.
Jul 11, 2019, 09:18 AM
How does the plane look? Just curious. We had an Xplorer parked on a steep foothill for 1.5 years and it is flying and looks amazing for being in full sun and rain.
Jul 11, 2019, 02:57 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
Jim, you may want to contact Gordon Buckland, John Graves, and/or Jody Miller. They'd probably have a good idea of the owner or a way to figure it out. Another idea would be to head up to the Buzzard's field on Saturday (across from Ft. Christmas) and ask Raed. Good chance that some of them may have idea too.
Jul 11, 2019, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Mike , Good idea. Just talked with Jody and he will poke around a bit.. Hope someone gets their plane back. Best Jim
Jul 13, 2019, 06:52 AM
MQ-5B Driver
Kinda crazy cool story that the airplane may find its owner again after so long!
Jul 19, 2019, 04:06 PM
Jeff Carr
What receiver is in it. Might help narrow it down even more

Jeff
Jul 19, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Jeff, Good idea but we are approaching this a little differently by not posting all the details of the plane the real owner can supply some details and we will know that the proper owner will get his plane back. There should be a small set of pilots who lost a Pike Superior at the IRKS field. So far no one has come forward. What would be really useful would be a list of pilots who attended any of the F3J and F3B events here. That would be "Gator F3B" and F3J team select. Since there has been no response with over 400 views, it probably belongs to someone no longer active. That's why a list of pilot participants might trigger someone's memory to give an old friend a call.
Best, Jim
Jul 20, 2019, 11:27 AM
Ask and ye shall receive...
Here is a partial list of the 2011 F3J TS attendees:

Alex Trussell
Alyssa Wulick
Amy Pool
Ben Clerx
Bob McGowan
Chris Lee
Cody Remington
Dave Bradley
Dillon Graves
Dominick Lewis
Gavin Trussell
Gordon Buckland
James McNeal
Jim Frahm
Jim McCarthy
Jody Miller
Jon Padilla
Josh Glaab
Josh JR Glaab
kelly johnson
Kris Van Nostran
Larry Jolly
Matt Garland
Michael Smith
Mike Lee
Mike Verzuh
Neal Huffman
Paul Sherman
Phil Barnes
Richard Burnoski
Robert Cavazos
Skip Miller
Steven Garland
Thomas Cooke
Thomas Kiesling
Tristan Sherman
Yesterday, 01:30 PM
F3B and F3K
Gator F3B 2011 pilot list:

David Klein
Thorsten Holtmeyer
Kyle Paulson
Mike Lachowski
Tom Keisling
Sven Hollenbeck
Reto Fiolka
Helmut Edenhofer
Glauco Lago
Rich Burnoski
Dennis Phelan
H.J. (Heinz Jürgen) Holtmeyer
Don Barker

Gator F3B 2012 pilot list:

David Klein
Kyle Paulson
Thomas Kiesling
Edenhofer Helmut
Glauco Lago
Jody Miller
Gordon Buckland
Kris Van Nostran
Reto Fiolka
Tim Traver
Mike Lachowski
Dillon Graves
Tom Watson
Richard Burnowski

Gator 2013:
https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...iew&event_id=5

Gator 2014:
https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...w&event_id=303

Gator 2015 was held in Perris, California.

Gator 2016:
https://www.f3xvault.com/?action=eve...w&event_id=693

Gator 2017 was held in Lost Hills, CA.

Gator 2018 was held in Florida, but not at the IRKS field

There was no Gator 2019, sadly.

I remember that in one year (2012?), it was so windy at the Gator F3B that we flew duration with the same ballast as for the speed task (~120ounces AUW). That was the only way the models could fly forward that time. Wonderfully challenging conditions! I do not recall seeing a model disappear though...

Can I just say that I *really* miss those Gator contests? A new speed world record was set on the space coast in on of those and so many fond memories!

Reto
Last edited by RetoF3X; Yesterday at 04:45 PM.
Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Scale Aircraft = Scale Crators
I've been watching this thread like a hawk waiting to see the result. I've done a significant amount of time tromping around the woods to the west of the IRKS field (and into the very interesting neighborhoods on the other side of the canal) looking for a model which I never recovered. I'm really hoping to see this story come to an awesome conclusion!

Quick Reply