Jul 09, 2019, 11:10 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Thread OP
Discussion

And you thought our Foamies were Strange …

Check these out …
Odd Ducks: Unusual Aircraft from the Movietone Collection, 1921-1934 (25 min 57 sec)
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 02:53 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Great video, love it.
Jul 10, 2019, 06:38 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Plenty of strange things to model from Foam …. That “last laugh” looks like the Simple Delta , just Inverted …
Jul 10, 2019, 07:00 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
I like that the twin boom "Flying Wing" has extra bits patched on to the trailing edges of the rudders. It's the sort of thing we may do to our foamies when we need a little more control authority.
I really enjoyed seeing it all, but t made me little sad when I thought of the heartbreak that must have followed when all that hard work, money and high expectations came to nothing.
Jul 10, 2019, 07:16 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Isn't it strange that as modellers and flier, we can look back at some of these creations and instantly feel, 'that's not going to fly, or will fly poorly'.

Yet those guys felt that they were at the forefront of technology at the time.

The 'Johnson Helicopter Airplane' at 8:40 that was expected to take off vertically, was like an early forerunner to what the VTOLs forum has solved and flying currently. Again as modellers it is pretty obvious that mounting props underneath the wing to generate lift wasn't going to work. But at least they tried.

There is also that crazy 'float plane ?' right at the end where the power unit stays in the water and the wing section pivot up. Weird.

Ray.
Jul 10, 2019, 04:35 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
<snip>
There is also that crazy 'float plane ?' right at the end where the power unit stays in the water and the wing section pivot up. Weird.

Ray.
I think that may have been someones fun project. A sort of boat that would give a flying experience without really flying. But I could well be wrong.

Ray, you are right about how we can now predict the likelihood of successful flight. Some of the more inept efforts are spectacular examples of aeronautical ignorance.
Jul 11, 2019, 04:47 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
And we think we come up with strange ideas for flying things … But it’s in our History … We take flight for granted now , but not so long ago , we were just standing on the ground in awe of the birds … with little idea how they worked … and lots of people trying to sort it out ...
Today our simple Foamies fly better and do things full size planes cannot do …. AMAZING !!! We are so Fortunate !!!
Jul 11, 2019, 06:43 AM
He who stalls....falls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
And we think we come up with strange ideas for flying things … But it’s in our History … We take flight for granted now , but not so long ago , we were just standing on the ground in awe of the birds … with little idea how they worked … and lots of people trying to sort it out ...
Today our simple Foamies fly better and do things full size planes cannot do …. AMAZING !!! We are so Fortunate !!!
Reckon the last line pretty well says it all!

cheers (enjoyed the vid )
Jul 11, 2019, 08:24 AM
I Look, Listen, and Learn
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
I'm just amazed and feel fortunate when anything I build does fly.
Jul 11, 2019, 01:01 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
We were working on building a "Last Laugh” based on Dekan’s “Simple Delta “ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0delta%20dekan , and the Jeff Raskin Warp 9 … I always though it would fly great , seems the original didn’t have enough power

Profile fuselage would make it simple and effective …
Jul 11, 2019, 01:28 PM
While we are talking about what we can get away with making foamies fly. I got bored one evening and made this just to see what it would do. I was very disappointed tho.....not because it didn't fly but because it flew well, I was expecting all sorts of weird behaviors.
Jul 11, 2019, 05:44 PM
Finally got home from work and watched the video. Those guys sure did have some big ones to get into those planes to test them, but I have to admit I liked some of the designs. Thanks for showing us some videos from back in your days Glen.....
Jul 11, 2019, 05:48 PM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
T’, your wit is only surpassed by your creativity … That is a strange plane ( not just because it’s a canard , and an asymmetrical one at that ) but Very COOL !!!
Jul 12, 2019, 03:09 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
We were working on building a "Last Laugh” based on Dekan’s “Simple Delta “ https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0delta%20dekan , and the Jeff Raskin Warp 9 … I always though it would fly great , seems the original didn’t have enough power

Profile fuselage would make it simple and effective …
Power or not, I'm thinking it seemed to be quite heavy construction for a plane that size......wing loading may have been off the charts.
Jul 12, 2019, 08:19 AM
gpw
gpw
Thread OP
Chris , yes , the original looked a bit shy on wing area too … Having flowing many planes inthis shape , i still think it could easily be done in foam … Like you say , it would have to have a workable wing loading …. That's everything , but then again , our Foamies can be unusally Light compared to the balsa models of the past ( heavier old gear too ) .

Quick Reply