Jul 09, 2019, 06:23 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Yo-clone-oh Dogfighter YZ-834b

This is a 3D printing project I've been working on to build a replica of the Yokomo YZ-834b Dogfighter , it started as just a way to produce a few spares for my runner and the list if bits i made grew and grew , then it became more of a list of bits i had not made .... it became inevitable at that point that I'd complete the set . Most of it is faithfully reproduced with a few parts either made stronger or redesigned in a way more favorable to 3D printing .

New gears in the original box , diff is printed but not shown as I'm waiting on parts .

Original gears in a newly printed prototype gearbox .

The Chassis is Kydex and also hand made by me , all the other parts you see are 3D printed other than where i show the my gearbox with stock gears and vice versa.
Right now a more finalized version of the gearbox is printing , its only got minor changes to the design of the original in order to make it printable , the design of the gears is unchanged and compatible with an original gearbox .
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 07:12 AM
Time For Me To Fly!
Very very cool! Really looking forward to seeing more of this. Awesome work!
Jul 09, 2019, 12:52 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Great job!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 09, 2019, 03:29 PM
Thread OP
Thanks , I've just finished a second version of the gearbox and its very nearly a completed design , I just need to increase the size of the hex holes for the captive nuts as they are still very hard to press in ,otherwise its just waiting on hardware like bearings etc .
Jul 09, 2019, 07:06 PM
I love it.
Jul 11, 2019, 07:09 AM
Thread OP
I have the gears all running smooth now and I'm printing what i hope will be a final design gearbox , i threw it all together as well for a look .

Jul 11, 2019, 11:44 AM
Car Bashing
Great project and nice looking printed parts.
Jul 12, 2019, 04:38 AM
Thread OP
The latest version gearbox is finished and all as good as i could hope for , more pictures I'm afraid , both proto-gearboxes and all the proto-gears then some shots of the genuine article and my version .

Jul 12, 2019, 01:38 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Good job!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Jul 13, 2019, 12:41 PM
Thread OP
Now with added Diffy goodness , i still need to finish the outdrives but its all working, i had it running for a few minutes without load , it was a little rough at first but free'd up well . Shown with the genuine one with the white main gear.

Jul 17, 2019, 11:33 AM
Looks good. Will you release the files when you're done?

I wish RCGroups had a vintage car forum.
Jul 18, 2019, 12:53 AM
Thread OP
Its probably going to be on shapeways , its been quite time consuming and I think I deserve something for the effort , i already put the front steering knuckles on Thingiverse so they are out there for free , I'm not totally mean and they are very hard to find .
Jul 18, 2019, 09:26 AM
I sell some of my designs on cults3D: https://cults3d.com/en
Jul 18, 2019, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio
Its probably going to be on shapeways , its been quite time consuming and I think I deserve something for the effort , i already put the front steering knuckles on Thingiverse so they are out there for free , I'm not totally mean and they are very hard to find .
You should consider some other sites as well, my main issue with shapeways is having to pay for them to print it as well. I'd much rather just buy the STL file(s) and print things myself.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:11 AM
Thread OP
The problem with selling the STL file to people is it can then be pirated , in an ideal world it would be nice to trust people but its just not like that in the real world ,by marketing it through a printing service there is still control of the STL file. I'm not tied to only using Shapeways but they are the best known .

Quick Reply