Jul 09, 2019, 05:30 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Looks like Magnum/ASP etc... are gone for good

https://www.mikegoesflying.com/

Posted a few days ago on Mike Goes Flying. Sucks because they are good running engines and price is right. Good news is there are a ton of them in the secondhand market I guess. Site says they are looking at sourcing a new company for glow engines so we'll see. I grew up on glow and still think they are the best option for under 20cc but that's me.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2019, 07:30 AM
I thought the story was ASP/Magnum/Sanye were moving the factory location?
Jul 09, 2019, 10:09 AM
A man with too many toys
Who owns the production rights to these engines?
Jul 09, 2019, 08:49 PM
Systems Test Engineer Amateur
Probably a bank or the Chinese government(?).
Jul 09, 2019, 09:06 PM
You would need the molds to cast the engine parts with. That is a the big issue first to solve. We do not know who has the molds. Then the next issue is the CNC machine programs. Then whether the CNC machine programs are for a specific CNC machine or whether it can be ported to other CNC machines or not.

But Gary Cee is correct it would be the bank or Chinese government who actually owns it. Since China is still Communist, the government actually still owns everything.
Jul 09, 2019, 11:08 PM
AMA 46133
Last edited by SeismicCWave; Jul 14, 2019 at 12:09 PM.
Jul 10, 2019, 02:30 PM
Dieselized User
Designs are the easy part. Meeting the quality and price point of the current market is the tough part.

The reality is that someone would really have to want to build model engines and have all/most of the required knowledge and skills to do so.
Jul 10, 2019, 02:40 PM
Its a no win situation. Price to make a reasonable profit, which may be out of reach for the masses in today's economy. Or under cut the name brands with a clone / priced at a meager profit to try and corner the market.
Jul 10, 2019, 09:28 PM
I doubt it would be cost effective to make motors in any "developed" country with a respectable minimum wage. China, India, Poland and Ukraine come to mind as a possibility for a supplier. I remember buying a couple Rossi .15s when I made minimum wage of $1.80, and the motors with a pipe were $120 each. That was a lot of hours after school 4 hours a day. An OS at $200 doesn't seem so bad now. Those days were just a bit before CNC machines, mid 1970s. I would not make motors myself even if I was not retired. I could not imagine giving even a 90 day guarantee, much less a year. Everyone would whine about paying too much.... I am still wondering if Sanye was the company that OS used for their "Made in China" lines. I guess no one knows, or will say.
Jul 11, 2019, 07:32 AM
Dieselized User
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
I am still wondering if Sanye was the company that OS used for their "Made in China" lines. I guess no one knows, or will say.

I'm not wondering about that at all. The difference in quality is night and day.
Jul 11, 2019, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
I dunno, the .52AR ASP 4 stroke and .61AR 4 stroke converted to CDI both run like raped apes. As good as any OS I've had. I'm looking to buy a few more from the classifieds here before they start to get hard to find although I'm sure there will be a decent supply of them for a good while.

I'm not trying to start a "quality" comparison, I know the made in Japan OS engines are higher quality but for pulling around a cheap .40 sized trainer or stik... 0 issues.
Jul 12, 2019, 02:43 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
So don't tell Scottyyyyyy!
Latest blog entry: Jeti ESC resto-mod
Jul 12, 2019, 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
I'm not wondering about that at all. The difference in quality is night and day.
No doubts about the difference in refinement and perceived quality.
I have many engines by both manufacturers, the funny thing is that longevity is not always related to the perceived quality...
Old Jul 12, 2019, 08:26 AM
Sport_Pilot
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Flatulence).

Quick Reply