Aug 01, 2019, 11:35 AM
Ken,
Are going to fly it as a covered foam model or is it going to be a plug for a glass model?

Looking great!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2019, 11:48 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Its going to be a plug for a glass model
Aug 02, 2019, 11:35 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Ken,
Sure admire your tenacity in learning a new tool. Interesting to watch your progress.

J
Aug 10, 2019, 12:18 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Finished the plug. time to double check the intake area of the inlets before I move forward.

After that its wax on wax off.
Aug 10, 2019, 12:21 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Very nice Ken. It's good to see you moving along on this project.

Dan Eaton
Aug 10, 2019, 12:59 PM
Looking good Ken.
Aug 11, 2019, 02:54 PM
EDF rules... :)
Yup, looks good.
Aug 11, 2019, 03:07 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Thanks guys, was all set to put the glass on her today but ran out of brushes for the epoxy. So she will sit till I can get to the store tomorrow.
Aug 11, 2019, 10:35 PM
Looks great, you're really moving right along!
Aug 12, 2019, 03:23 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
George Miller had a great idea of using dowels on each end of the plug to hold it.

His idea was great using the dowels in each end, my implementation was poor.

I used dowels that were too small, disaster struck as the dowels broke when I was putting the glass onto the sticky resin. Glass was all bunched up on the floor on the model, had to take the glass off, off comes the resin and PVA beneath it. What a mess. Spent 2 hours cleaning the plug, need to fix some damage, then have to wax and PVA it all over.

It will be a while before there is any new progress.
Aug 12, 2019, 07:15 PM
EDF rules... :)
Awe man, bad news, hang in there.
The base form looks great.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Last edited by AirX; Aug 12, 2019 at 07:39 PM.
Aug 14, 2019, 01:37 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Got the wax and PVA all layed out

Put the first coat of resin in this morning. Came back later and resin is cured , slightly tacky

Put the cloth on, Tried for large piece along each side. Did on, not as perfect as I would have liked. Really cant reposition it once it touches the resin. If you try to move it the PVA gets pulled off.

So after the cloth was on I coated with resin. Tried to keep it as thin as I could.

Really need extra gloves with this stuff, once it starts to cure it gets very stickky and you have to stop using the batch you have mixed. Also have to change gloves cause they will stick your fingers together.

So the first coat of glass is one, now it needs to cure before the second layer

Then I have to do this all over again. Hope I dont run out of resin or cloth

fingers crossed
Aug 14, 2019, 01:54 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2019, June 13-16
Looks good Ken.
Just remember it's a new process for you and it doesn't have to be perfect this time.
Is this the method where you have to give the final layer a coat of PVA to get it to harden completely?

Dan Eaton
Aug 14, 2019, 03:42 PM
Classic jets rule
from the sound of it you are using polyester resin ....that's what I hate about it . it smells and cures too fast for doing large layups . I am sure a extra set of hands would have been helpful ...I like to use slooow cure #209 west systems epoxy mixed in small batches . I am sure epoxy resin could be used to do this method . George has a ton of "experience " and practice at doing plugs this way. his come out so clean and nice .
Aug 14, 2019, 04:12 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
yeah its polyester.

My mistake was learning this on a rather big plug. The sticky factor really makes this more difficult than needed.

I put the second layer on, the are a few spots that could use another piece of glass.

Plan is to sand out the rough spots, give it a coat of resin and then PVA after that to get a nice hard surface to sand smooth

time will tell.

Quick Reply