Jul 23, 2019, 01:16 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Thanks

Yeah , not sure if I can make lines on the slices. I might put in 1/16 rods for reference points and 1/4 rods for construction guides. Will have to go look in the basement to see what I have or go to the hardware store and see what I can get for good construction guides. Need something nice and straight and long.

I've been playing with the spacing. Its hard to get 2" spacing and the formers where you want them at the same time. Still need to play with that. I've also looked at 4" spacing 4 fewer former's.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 02:29 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
So I did 4" spacing, looks good. I added 2 formers that are at key points, start and end of the ducting.
Made the alignment rods very small, so they are just center points on the drawing for drilling the holes.

I'll think through how I want to build it, make final adjustments and then find a local place that can print it.
Jul 23, 2019, 03:43 PM
Pro Hoarder
Can you do something like how Ian did his . Just cut stacks of formers
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...loster-Javelin
Latest blog entry: In flight
Jul 23, 2019, 04:28 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Thanks for posting that , I do like his hot wire set up. I need to build something like that.

My plan is to cut the formers close to the cut line first, stack them up and then do the final shaping.

Just gotta figure out what kind of building jigs I need
Jul 23, 2019, 04:53 PM
Pro Hoarder
Draw a 1 in square down the center of the model than have each former slip over a square pipe. just have it end before the nose and tail
Jul 23, 2019, 05:45 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
I may do that, just have to get a square pipe first. Will have to do something different to align the tail as it is above the centerline
Jul 30, 2019, 08:08 AM
EDF rules... :)
Hi Ken,

Nice work.
I did an A model way back and Orlando and I flew it on a 50mm fan.
Flew well.

Following along from the sidelines.

Cheers,
Eric B.

Ps: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...78&postcount=9
Last edited by AirX; Jul 30, 2019 at 08:14 AM. Reason: add link.
Jul 31, 2019, 09:43 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Started the construction

Turns out I had a sheet of 1.5 inch foam in the basement, so I went back to the slicer, changed the spacing and made new patterns. I ran a square tube down the center before slicing the new patterns.

Glued the patterns to some poster board to, cut to shape and then glued the blocks together.

So here is where I made a pretty big mistake, I left the poster board templates on the foam when I glued the blocks together thinking they would help with sanding the outline. Just the opposite, those poster board templates are causing nothing but problems. The edges of the board don't sand, so I have a bunch of ridges that stand proud.

So now I am trying to fill as best I can with Spackle, then sand it smooth as best I can. My hope is that the epoxy and cloth I cover it with will allow me to sand everything smooth.

Good news is I realized the issue before I did the tail, so I pulled off the templates before gluing the tail together, made sanding alot easier.

Its at least starting to look like a buckeye, even if the nose is still a bit long.
Jul 31, 2019, 10:35 AM
Pro Hoarder
Cool ..it looks like a good start even with the minor glitch from the templates
Jul 31, 2019, 02:16 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
Started laying out the wing in devwing

Key concern is room for the retracts

Initially tried a NACA 2412 foil, but I dont think that will be thick enough for the retracts

NACA 2414 looks thick enough for the retracts
Last edited by Ken Lapointe; Jul 31, 2019 at 02:25 PM.
Jul 31, 2019, 02:58 PM
You’ re moving right along, looking good!
Looks big, what are the dimensions?
Jul 31, 2019, 03:15 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
its 61 inch WS and 61 in long
Jul 31, 2019, 04:32 PM
Very nice. What kind of glue did you use to glue the blocks. Did you have to skin the blocks to relieve the tension, or just glue as it.
Cheers
Carl
Jul 31, 2019, 04:50 PM
Build'em and Crash'em
Thread OP
I glued the poster board to the foam with 3M77, and blocks together to make the 3 inch block with 3M77

I glued the blocks together for the final part with gorilla glue to allow time for adjustment.

I did not skin anything

there is a 1" square aluminum tube down the center for alignment
Aug 01, 2019, 08:11 AM
Thanks for the info

Quick Reply