Jul 08, 2019, 03:50 PM
PhoenixFlyer
Thread OP
Discussion

Indians Electric Motorcycle

I know I will get flamed for this post, this ain't my first rodeo, so I can take it. ELECTRICS. There is a large platoon of glow engines up for sale, I even have a couple up for sale, I have too many. I. do not know how far along Indian is, only getting info from the Bikers.
Harley is not far behind on the electric scooters, see attached. Rocky Boy Two posted this in January on this forum.

Is this it, glow and gas guys ? Is the smell of glow fuel in the morning with a cup of strong coffee in the air, going away ? Even my wife is telling me to get an electric plane. I have not thought about that, or a Tesla. I get 18 mpg on my main mode of transportation, and do not care.

Crank
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 03:55 PM
Nice bike!

We're having a glow-only event in a week and a half. Bring your planes & engines to sell! www.GlowPlugPalooza.com

Andy
Jul 08, 2019, 04:30 PM
Harley's profit is tumbling as their main market ages out and not as many of the younger generation have the motorcycling interest, and those that do don't want heavy cruisers.
They've launched an all electric sport bike but at 30k won't be many takers.

I don't begrudge electric airplane fliers, or Tesla drivers...but I'm never joining them.

Perfectly happy flying glow in my models & have enough engines to last the rest of my life.
My cars and motorcycle are gasoline engines and will also remain so!
Jul 08, 2019, 05:14 PM
AMA 46133
Electric powered anything still needs an energy source to recharge. If the energy source is fossil fuel based then electric power is not helping any.
Jul 08, 2019, 05:15 PM
I love my glow engines and have enough to last into the next century, well beyond my expiration date. Electric power has certainly improved significantly in the past 20 years, but is not 'ideal' either. No fuel or post flight clean up, but battery maintenance is significant for optimum performance and longevity and if there is a failure in the power system, the possibility of fire still freaks me out. I'm not convinced e-power is any cheaper, either. I buy fuel by the pallet (144 gallons) which saves $$, though I do have to pick it up at the freight terminal (tests my van's suspension). That will last me about 3-4 years.
The e-power bikes have incredible acceleration and handling (keep that heavy battery low). I know a young man who has just graduation from the engineering program at Virginia Tech and he was involved in a project to build a racing e-powered motorcycle. He drove it, but never raced and said it was an amazing ride. I'm too old for crotch rockets, at least on a regular basis... Love your bike, Lowrider! Classic!
Jul 08, 2019, 06:29 PM
Same Day Delivery
If I retire and relocate to a 55 plus community, I may consider a electric bicycle, everything else is still just a joke!
Jul 08, 2019, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
Electric powered anything still needs an energy source to recharge. If the energy source is fossil fuel based then electric power is not helping any.
Yes and no.

The efficiency of IC engines in automobiles is pitiful compared to the efficiency of bulk electric generation plants powered by coal, natural gas, oil, etc. By moving the conversion from distributed to centralized control (hmmm), the system efficiency can be increased and more easily regulated and minimize pollution.

However, the cells require extremely harmful and dangerous chemicals to make, and their effluents aren't exactly eco-friendly either. So in a way you're trading one thing for another.

Funny thing about history - Diesel invented his engine so that farmers could grow their own fuel. Then the petroleum companies caught on. Then they started making biodiesel.

Wind power watered the Great Plains. Until the government made electricity too cheap. Now the electric companies have wind farms (and get tax subsidies to make them profitable).

Solar electric power requires super nasty stuff to make the cells, and the power is best generated in a distributed form (rooftops near use) due to DC transmission losses and DC/AC conversion losses.

Geothermal has immense power potential, rivaling nukes. But whereas nukes make harmful after-products, geothermal risks polluting our aquifers.

Best solution - let the market decide! Get the govt out of the business.

Andy
Jul 08, 2019, 08:23 PM
AMA 46133
>>Yes and no.

The efficiency of IC engines in automobiles is pitiful compared to the efficiency of bulk electric generation plants powered by coal, natural gas, oil, etc. By moving the conversion from distributed to centralized control (hmmm), the system efficiency can be increased and more easily regulated and minimize pollution.<<

Very true. Also the electric generators also use other forms of electricity generator besides fossil fuel.

>>However, the cells require extremely harmful and dangerous chemicals to make, and their effluents aren't exactly eco-friendly either. So in a way you're trading one thing for another.<<

Unfortunately even without using fossil fuel to generate electricity the other methods of electricity generation can cause us enough problems. The energy and other undesirable factors required to make solar cells, wind turbine, nuclear power and geothermal power can probably outweigh the issues with using fossil fuel. Then there is always money, politics, public sentiment and other issues involved so nothing is really that clear cut.

>>Best solution - let the market decide! Get the govt out of the business.<<

Or try to find ways to use less energy.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:37 PM
Back to "Free Flight"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeismicCWave
>>Yes and no.

The efficiency of IC engines in automobiles is pitiful compared to the efficiency of bulk electric generation plants powered by coal, natural gas, oil, etc. By moving the conversion from distributed to centralized control (hmmm), the system efficiency can be increased and more easily regulated and minimize pollution.<<

Very true. Also the electric generators also use other forms of electricity generator besides fossil fuel.

>>However, the cells require extremely harmful and dangerous chemicals to make, and their effluents aren't exactly eco-friendly either. So in a way you're trading one thing for another.<<

Unfortunately even without using fossil fuel to generate electricity the other methods of electricity generation can cause us enough problems. The energy and other undesirable factors required to make solar cells, wind turbine, nuclear power and geothermal power can probably outweigh the issues with using fossil fuel. Then there is always money, politics, public sentiment and other issues involved so nothing is really that clear cut.

>>Best solution - let the market decide! Get the govt out of the business.<<

Or try to find ways to use less energy.
Latest blog entry: MAAC Wings
Jul 08, 2019, 08:57 PM
DavidsPlanes
We should centralize solar power generation to the moon. Then beam it down. The moon is a perfect satellite without an atmosphere which is completely under utilized. Setup cost is a tad high but resource is potentially unlimited provided we don’t mess things up as we have a tendency to do (currently).

Tidal electricity generation is very effective, low pollution, relatively low cost. Unfortunately it’s limited in scope due to geographical limitations (Canada & France for now).

David
Jul 09, 2019, 06:35 PM
Well getting back to the electric v glow fuel, I still luv the smell of glow fuel in the morning or for that matter in the afternoon and evening. To me there is nothing like a YS 60/ /61 coming on the pipe in the air.. it sound like a Beethoven symphony to me!!! I guess I am just toooooooo old!! Bill
Jul 10, 2019, 06:09 AM
I intend to fly glo until I can't fly anymore. I have plenty of glo engines so that isn't a problem. If I can't buy glo fuel I will mix my own. Nothing against the electric guys but as far as I'm concerned, flying electric is about as exciting as kissing your sister. The added complexity of glo engines is one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby. There is a great deal of satisfaction of getting a really good run from a glo engine. The smell of dope and castor oil are the perfume I grew up with.

carl
Jul 10, 2019, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgrover
I intend to fly glo until I can't fly anymore. I have plenty of glo engines so that isn't a problem. If I can't buy glo fuel I will mix my own. Nothing against the electric guys but as far as I'm concerned, flying electric is about as exciting as kissing your sister. The added complexity of glo engines is one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby. There is a great deal of satisfaction of getting a really good run from a glo engine. The smell of dope and castor oil are the perfume I grew up with.

carl
Yup. X2
Jul 10, 2019, 09:19 PM
I love the smell of burnt glow fuel (or gas and castor oil, as at Rhinebeck). Plus, the sound of an idling glow engine on final approach is musical.

But, I've lost a significant amount of my hearing, which the audiologist attributes much of to being an avid glow flier (I soloed in 1971, when nobody used mufflers) So, now we fly Electric.

CD
Jul 11, 2019, 03:21 PM
If the winds blowin, I'm goin!
I dont fly anymore (see FAA) but when I did, I flew 2 stroke and 4 stroke glow, electric, and diesel. Still miss the smell of a nicely tuned diesel idling.
I do mostly boats now, electric and sail..but Im really thinking about getting into steam in a ouple of years.

Quick Reply