Jul 08, 2019, 03:21 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Help!

Electric shocks from Accucell 6 charger

Hi Guys,
Iíve been using two Accucell 6 chargers for a couple of years. Lately Iíve been getting mild electric shocks when connecting the battery plug to the charger and from the charger case screws. This happens with either charger.

I have plugged the battery in while the AC was disconnected but after putting the cord plug into AC outlet the shocks persist.

Shocks happen from both chargers and different batteries.

Any thoughts are helpful. Iím leaving for work but will be back in 3 hours. Short shift.

Thanks, Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 03:27 PM
Time to replace charger ... or fix it!
Jul 08, 2019, 03:35 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
One charger only has about 60 charges on it, it’s like new, the other has hundreds of charges on it.

I’m late for work, back later. TTFN
Jul 08, 2019, 04:39 PM
Replace your power supply. It isn't the charger.
Jul 08, 2019, 05:14 PM
Space Coast USA
I can't see it being the power supply either unless it's leaking AC.

aeronca52,
1. Measure the voltage AC and DC at the chargers plug to the battery. (Charger not connected)
2. With power supply on and charger connected, measure AC and DC voltage from the charger case screws to a water pipe or a rod stuck into the ground.

Let's find out the source of the shocking voltage.
Jul 08, 2019, 05:37 PM
If you are getting shocks I suspect that the power supply is defective and putting voltage on the case.
Jul 08, 2019, 07:19 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Back home.
Hoppy, I know nothing about electric but my son is stopping in a few days I’ll ask him to do your recommendations. I own a Harbor Freight meter which is used to check AA and D batts for household things. That’s about my limit.

VA, I’m open to any suggestions, could you explain in very layman’s terms how the power supply could cause the shocks? I’d appreciate any enlightenment.

If the chargers or the one power supply is bad then I will replace, but I will ask if it’s possible for the orange extension cord or the AC outlet to be causing the problems? My son is bringing his outlet tester with him but thought I’d ask in advance.

Thanks guys for your input, it’s much appreciated!!

Jim
Jul 08, 2019, 07:29 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
Let me digress...
The Deans plug shocks happen when connecting the Deans male to the battery female plugs. The wire insulation and shrink wrap leave about 1/32” of the bare wires exposed right before the plug housing. I initially though I was holding the plug and touching both positive and negative wires with finger skin when pressing the plugs together, but I’m not. More question marks.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Let me digress...
The Deans plug shocks happen when...
Ahhh, do you mean sparks?! That's perfectly normal and the result of the battery charging the capacitors within the charger.

If you do mean 'shocks' and you're getting hit with a 'jolt' of electricity, it's most certainly a defective power supply as the charger is incapable of shocking you with only 12VDC input. To validate, simply power your charger with a car battery to see if the issue goes away. If it is a true 'shock', it will definitely go away when powered by a 12V battery.
Jul 08, 2019, 09:11 PM
Culper Junior
Thread OP
It’s a shock, not spark, when plugging the Deans together. Also I’m using 120v from AC for charging not 12VDC. Or does the power supply only give the charger 12 volts? Please explain, you can’t insult me, I know I’m lacking in the electron department.
Jul 08, 2019, 10:25 PM
Does this happen at more than one outlet box (not just a different outlet in the same box)? It sounds like a missing safety ground (the third contact of the AC plug). It could be the wiring in the outlet box, or inside the supply.
Your HF meter should have an Ohms setting; if you measure the Ohms from that third, mostly round, contact to a metal part of the case, you should read something near 0. You need a special tool to check an outlet for proper wiring.
Jul 08, 2019, 10:28 PM
The power supply output should contain nothing but 12VDC but some poorly designed or damaged power supplies can have the input line voltage leaking to the output, which can be extremely hazardous and can damage whatever device is powered by said supply.

As noted by others above, I would immediately cease usage of your power supply and instead use a different DC power source (battery or power supply). If the issue is not present when powering with a car battery, your power supply is faulty and should be discarded.
Jul 08, 2019, 11:19 PM
Worst case, visit a local shop or hobbyist where someone can show you on your own rig how to trace a ground fault with a DMM.
Jul 08, 2019, 11:27 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Could also be a problem with the outlet, reversed hot and neutral.
Jul 09, 2019, 05:39 AM
Stand by here come banana
Hughsey find thread shocking!

Quick Reply