Jul 08, 2019, 12:53 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Discussion

Bench Talk Tools and Materials

Hey there! This is the Hobby Bench where we can chat about tools and materials needed for electric glider projects.

What tools ya need to work Carbon Fiber board for instance!
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 01:07 PM
Electric
Thread OP
We have a place in town called Harbor Freight that specializes in "somewhat cheap and questionable power tools that are ok for "certain" items.

The $7 20-piece diamond rotary bit sets are awesome! They grind CF plate like butter.

Their large $20 Rotary hand tool (Dremel) is good for using the cut-off wheels for cutting CF plate and whatever else..... but to be honest for 2x the price the Dremel lasts 10years plus and worth every penny. Runs better too.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 11, 2019 at 12:27 AM.
Jul 08, 2019, 01:13 PM
Great stuff! I actually have a Dremel...best little tool I have lol. Thanks for the tip on a mask as I did not know about carbon dust! Curious as to how you cut out the motor mount "circle."

These? https://www.harborfreight.com/diamon...-pc-69653.html

My hobby "room" is temporarily out of commission but just for another 2 weeks. My wife's son is at the RCMP training depot and graduates in 2 weeks when all of his storage gets moved out and I'm back in business
Last edited by Canada Goose; Jul 08, 2019 at 01:30 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:24 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Working Carbon Fiber plate material (5 min 6 sec)

CF tow on a wing (1 min 26 sec)
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 02:29 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:33 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Yup!

But you know your local hardware store on the corner might have them for $9.99 too....so don't order them and spend 5 bucks for S&H for nothing. But my Harbor Freight is a block away....so moot point
Jul 08, 2019, 02:47 PM
Electric
Thread OP
These suckers usually run @$20 and is a must!

42 bit driver set that also fits in your field box.

Scales! Small scale that can do 1000g down to 0.1g is good. And a 5kg down to 1g.

Various adhesives
Green thread loc for set screws
Light machine oil
Micro balloons
IPA and fingernail removal (Acetone)

$9.90 for 100 bulk #11 blades I'm on my 7th pack in 6 years?
https://www.amazon.com/Techni-Edge-T...web_2601901011
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 03:47 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:54 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Servo tester like $7 from Hobbyking's multiple choice list.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:55 PM
Great how to video's....thanks for posting.

We're coming down to Idaho/Utah in August so will have to make sure and find a "Harbor Freight" outlet and stock up on all kinds of goodies

Look at the difference in price on those #11 blades https://www.amazon.ca/Techni-Edge-TE...gateway&sr=8-1
Last edited by Canada Goose; Jul 08, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:57 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Was also a nice $4.99 Hobbyking special to see how much current servos draw. Either single or full system...

I just happened to use it for on board 20A esc data logging on my small 3s planes! Nice to know my little floater was pulling 233 watts lol.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:05 PM
What method did you use to secure the tail and wing servo's Duck?

We are a right pair...a Duck and a Goose
Jul 08, 2019, 03:10 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
Great how to video's....thanks for posting.

We're coming down to Idaho/Utah in August so will have to make sure and find a "Harbor Freight" outlet and stock up on all kinds of goodies
Yes, it's that bench filling stuff that just doesn't make sense spending funds on one-piecing together that adds up. If you can make a shopping list it adds up.

Things that you know quality is not always necessary needed to get the same job done, let's say something like basic black and brown type sandpaper lol.... Harbor Freight you can get a 10-yr supply of 80-to-600 grit sheets for probably $10 and you're stocked for every project on the bench for life. We're not trying to do final work on automobile paint jobs.

Nylon tie straps..... same thing. A bulk 1500 pieces tube that has 12 sizes in 4...no wait! 8 colors.... for $9. Done. Meanwhile $2.99 for 8 at the hardware store.

$6 for 50 Utility knife blades....for those hard to cut items and general purpose airplane covering jobs that eat #11 blades.

Those $1.50 pliers of various shapes that go in your field box and who cares if you loose/give one at the field. Buy the half-dozen shapes that you've always wanted! My wife's 3-set needlework & beading pliers were $40. Grumble (I swear same thing I'm holding in my freaking hand!).... though they were quite a bit more needle-like lol.... so, maybe "specialized". I could specialize these here with my grinding wheel in the garage for free.

But $40 keeps my happy wife away from my bench and me away from her's. 20 years and counting.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 03:16 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:18 PM
Electric
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada Goose
What method did you use to secure the tail and wing servo's Duck?

We are a right pair...a Duck and a Goose
Bahahhahahha

I like to scuff up the side of the servo with some sandpaper and glue it down with a mix of 5-min epoxy and micro-balloons. Micro-balloons ratio is @1/3rd volume-wize of epoxy mixture volume..... just eyeballing it.

I also prefer to screw it into 2 mounting blocks and glue those down at the same time. Here on my Nike2 I made some CF servo trays and screwed them in.

If the servo ever fails...ya you have some work to do but that's what the Dremel is for. You can cut and grind the sucker out in a bit of mad scientist fun.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 10:21 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:35 PM
Electric
Thread OP
I'm currently working on a pair of Nike2 EVO hotliners, 1st is ready to maiden and #2 just joined the wing halves.

These other projects have pictures and things to lead you astray! Don't go there! Be very afraid!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...kDuck-Nike-EVO

#1 is set up for 5s1800mah 70C and 13x10 @1250 watts.

#2 is starting at 5s1800mah 70C 17x13 @1800 watts but the wing has been strengthened to handle more. The motor can handle 7s and 4000 watts.

My current high-end exotics consists of a pair of 2M F5B Virage full carbon fiber planes that do well over 200mph and run on 10s1800's. They routinely run in the 8000-9000 watts. They run an 18x23 folding prop. And an X-Plus that is 1.5M and built the same. They only come out to play on the best of days and when I'm on my A-game. They run $2k. Already gopher holed one. Here's a link to that build https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ge-sport-build
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 05:00 PM.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:44 PM
Holy Cow!!....or is that Holy Duck Those are numbers I can not fathom!! My old brain and eyes would never be able to keep up with it haha. Be very interested in following your progress though
Jul 08, 2019, 04:37 PM
Electric
Thread OP
I spend most of my flying relaxing with sport and warmliner class planes. Building is where I really have my fun and working night shift, can play for hours on end without fear of sunburn!

You guys must have an idea of how easy it is to fly your plane and get home and want to modify something! Well, when you've got a half-dozen planes ready to go, you're not held back by the notion that you're going to be stuck without a plane if you break it! Doh!

Not saying you have to be a snob or rich... but after 35 years you don't crash as much and your hanger tends to gather more planes as new technologies mature. And skills build. And sexier models meet your eyes!

OmG I have to have that! Does happen.

A good bench is almost more important than your best plane.
Last edited by DeadstickDuck; Jul 08, 2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quick Reply