Jul 08, 2019, 03:45 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Can't find a Radian XL anywhere. Anybody know of one?

I have a charge pending in my checking account for a radian XL from action powersports in Escondido and from big boy toys in Ontario. Neither has the plane in stock. So I'm looking for a radian XL for sale. I have seen two or three places charging upwards of $400 or $450 but I'm not going to do that. two or three weeks ago there were plenty on eBay and Amazon.

if you know where I can get a new radian XL please let me know, thank you.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 08, 2019, 08:05 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Great hobbies in Mississauga, ON has one in stock. They'll often ship from the store if the warehouse has none. Give them a call if you aren't local.

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...rod_id=EFL5550

Big Boys is never the go to place unless you want overpriced junk from 5-10 years ago.
Jul 08, 2019, 02:23 PM
Life Long Modeler
I saw one on Chief Aircraft for sale
Jul 08, 2019, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Great hobbies in Mississauga, ON has one in stock. They'll often ship from the store if the warehouse has none. Give them a call if you aren't local.

https://www.greathobbies.com/product...rod_id=EFL5550

Big Boys is never the go to place unless you want overpriced junk from 5-10 years ago.
Thanks, I have one on hold, and as soon as those charges drop off tonight, I'll grab it.

Thanks!!!!!!
Jul 08, 2019, 03:30 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

The guys up at GH are great.
Jul 08, 2019, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher
I saw one on Chief Aircraft for sale
Thanks will check it out!
Jul 08, 2019, 03:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
Glad to hear you got it sorted.

The guys up at GH are great.

Thanks Mawz. RC is so cool, you'd think all RC stores would be great folks. Has mostly but not always been true though. I had a Radian 2m years ago and just lost it in a fire, not much left, so the 2.6 will be my replacement. It's supposed to be better in the wind which kept me from flying the 2m much, looking forward to this. Have to get a Tx. Thinking of a Spektrum DX8 first gen used.
Jul 08, 2019, 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggles
Thanks Mawz. RC is so cool, you'd think all RC stores would be great folks. Has mostly but not always been true though. I had a Radian 2m years ago and just lost it in a fire, not much left, so the 2.6 will be my replacement. It's supposed to be better in the wind which kept me from flying the 2m much, looking forward to this. Have to get a Tx. Thinking of a Spektrum DX8 first gen used.
Hi Foggles,

Get a 2m Radian also, if you can. Tower Hobbies has the eflite version advertised in stock. Granted it's not the parkzone one, but at least it's not the Night version.. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=0#technotes I have flown my 2m in 20mph+ on slope with out power-handles great, with a little help from a solid steel, 10mm round bar for a spar...

BTW, I have both the 2.6 and the 2m

Mark
Jul 08, 2019, 05:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
Hi Foggles,

Get a 2m Radian also, if you can. Tower Hobbies has the eflite version advertised in stock. Granted it's not the parkzone one, but at least it's not the Night version.. https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=0#technotes I have flown my 2m in 20mph+ on slope with out power-handles great, with a little help from a solid steel, 10mm round bar for a spar...

Mark
Thanks Mark, I thought the 2m Radian was gone long long ago? Mine we the original. Am I thinking of the parkzone one? I think it was with the blue wing decals? E-flite has a similar 2m one?

How do you like the XL 2.6 for windy days? BTW I don't have a slope....flat desert with thermals....
Jul 08, 2019, 05:34 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
Hi Foggles,

Mark
Is there a significant difference between the parkzone, e-flite, and night versions? They are all 2m? I guess that must be discussed elsewhere...
Jul 08, 2019, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Thanks Mark, I thought the 2m Radian was gone long long ago? Mine we the original. Am I thinking of the parkzone one? I think it was with the blue wing decals? E-flite has a similar 2m one?

How do you like the XL 2.6 for windy days? BTW I don't have a slope....flat desert with thermals....
The newer e-flite radian has a different fuse/wing attaching method. Some don't like it. Some don't care. I have the 'old park zone' (blue decals) like you had. Snap the wings together and go fly. The newer e-flite has wings that are 'bolt on', like the discontinued Radian Pro. Still flies pretty well from what I hear. I have 4 spars for the 2m. 1st is the original fiberglass, 2nd is a piece of 10mm OD carbon tube. 3rd, I have a 10mm OD x 1mm wall SST tube. The last spar is a solid 10mm steel round bar. #1 and #2 are similar weight. I don't remember the weights, but there are significant differences in #3 and #4. I go to fly with all spars and change depending on conditions.

I have not flown the 2.6 on windy days, yet (maybe 10mph max so far.) It's OK. I have not looked into adding ballast to it yet for the windy days. Not sure if it can handle it, plus I have plenty of old school 3m gliders that are ~80+ oz.

My personal preference is 2m over 2.6m, but I still have both

BTW, to confuse it even more. The e-flite version available from Tower Hobbies was discontinued by Horizon a while back and was replaced by the "Night Radian" (heavier, flying a 3S,2200 battery) A lot of people where not happy. A couple of week ago, the discontinued 'e-flite' version showed up at Tower..

So, there were 3 vesions of the 2M radians:
1) Parkzone - every one wants but discontinued long time ago
2) e-Flite version - bolt on wings - discontinued by Horizon, BUT now avaialble (for how long ???) on Tower Hobbies website.
3) Night Radian - current version - some like, but a lot don't like.

Mark
Jul 09, 2019, 08:51 AM
Life Long Modeler
My XL flies well in the wind. I have also put better props on all my Radian family (Except the UMX). I also have two of the PZ Radians (one was built from NIP replacement parts) and the RP. The "bolt on" wings are not too much of a hassle. I'm half tempted to buy a set of EF Radian replacement wings to put on the RP fuse if I just want to haul one plane around, especially if I'm going on a trip somewhere.

I do enjoy the 2.6 but really enjoy the 2m more, especially at my regular flying field

I just cant wrap my head around getting the NR, since I don't fly at night. About the only thing I do fly at night is my night Vapor
Last edited by bassfisher; Jul 09, 2019 at 09:05 AM.
Jul 09, 2019, 11:36 AM
Thread OP
Well the one from great hobbies with tax and shipping comes to $390 and change. For a $230 plane I'm just going to have to pass. Chief aircraft is out of stock. So I think that's it unless you want to go a couple places charging 450 plus shipping. Maybe I'll get the 2 meter from tower hobbies. I just always had problems with my radian in any wind at all but maybe if I weight it down like you guys it will have a little better legs on a windy day.

Thanks a lot everybody!
Jul 09, 2019, 01:27 PM
LSF303-AMA Fellow
Quote:
<snip> I just always had problems with my radian in any wind at all but maybe if I weight it down like you guys it will have a little better legs on a windy day.
A 5/16" steel rod fits inside the wing tube and adds about 8 ounces to the model with little CG impact. I think a 3/8" rod replaces the wing tube and adds 12+ ounces.
Jul 09, 2019, 02:02 PM
Life Long Modeler
Foggles - the is a almost brand new one in the classified under sailplanes think he was asking $200 plus shipping

Quick Reply