Sep 14, 2019, 11:12 PM
I'd rather be flying.....
Thread OP

Thermic 50 RC Hybrid pod progress

George, that bird looks nice...... Yeah, the outrunner is neat and tidy on it's own so it does look really well without a " ring ". I'm doing the same....

All -

Thermic 50 RC Hybrid progress :

The electronics / motor now seem to be tested and working properly. By chance, the motor and ESC wire colors match for two of the three, and, match the rotation needed as well.....

The pod - the pics below tell most of the story - the rest of the story is two 3/4 * 1" balsa sticks were cemented together * 2 pcs. These two halves were then lightly cemented together. using the plan patterns and an electric scroll / jig saw , the basic shape was obtained. A hand held plane and abrasive paper has finished that up. The halves were then split and hollowed enough to contain the wires, then cemented together again....

More later,

jeff
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2019, 09:42 AM
Thread OP

Thermic 50 RC Hybrid - pod complete

All -

The Thermic 50 RC Hybrid motor pylon pod is now completed......

It turned out very light and adds to the appearance in a positive way, even though most of the pod was left as wood chips on the hobby room floor......

More later,

jeff
Sep 15, 2019, 10:07 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Very neat Jeff.
Sep 15, 2019, 02:44 PM
Culper Junior
Nice Jeff. If that was me you’d see a few bandages on the hand.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:49 PM
Love how you have reproduced the slim and elegant power-pod of the original - good decision not to cowl the motor.
Sep 17, 2019, 07:39 PM
Thread OP
Thanks George.... Jim, me too usually.... Somehow i was given a respite on the bloodletting....

Thanks Foot.....

No Thermic 50 progress so far, this week.... Will post some updates when getting it going again soon.....

Thanks again , Guys....

Best regards,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Sep 17, 2019 at 09:58 PM. Reason: clarity
Sep 20, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP

Thermic 50 wing progress - bottom covered

All -

The Thermic 50 RC Hybrid wing progressed to the point that covering is inevitable..... The bottom is now all slathered in polyspan light...... The remainder of the model is not anywhere close to be covered, but i needed an activity that would add good visual progress proof

Nelson clear water based poly urethane clear will be used for a thinned base coat... Then i will use ink to tint the clear for the final coat or two...... not sure of the final colors, but i will copy Steve's trim scheme from his Thermic 50 RC.... And, maybe try to add some stripes in the spirit of the original kit box picture....

More later,

jeff
Sep 20, 2019, 05:04 PM
Jef, are you planning to spray the WBPU? If brushed on to light-weight polyspan it forms puddles on the reverse side.

Sounds like a good idea to use ink for colour.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:30 PM
What is the black at the dihedral joints? Thanks
Gene
Sep 20, 2019, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Foot - Yes, i brush all my base coats, but thinned considerably.... Brushing carefully, i have had no issues but your caveat is true..... The ink i tried on my Dick Korda Diamond gas model..... I was seeking a tint resembling colored silkspan/silk. It worked OK , so that technique will be used here too....

Gene - The black are small sections of carbon fiber " tissue" CA'd in place to tie the wing sections together and these add considerable strength with little weight.... Although i make little effort to mask or hide these on my builds, the Thermic paint trim may hide them....

Thermic 50 RC Hybrid progress today - The wing is now 100% covered... No major wrinkles are noticeable so that is encouraging.... Polyspan lite was used - i am / was surprised a nice , new swatch was hiding in the hobby room, so no delays for material shortages......

More later,

jeff
Last edited by JeffMac; Sep 20, 2019 at 11:29 PM. Reason: sp
Sep 21, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thread OP

Thermic 50 - wing covered and assembled view pics

All -

The Thermic 50 RC Hybrid wing is now covered and i could not resist taking a couple assembled view pics this morning...... There is still a long way to go before this plane is completed.......

More later,

jeff
Sep 21, 2019, 10:57 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Looking good Jeff. Funny how every aeromodeller I have ever known is the same in not being able to resist assembling the bits for a look-see at the earliest opportunity! It is just in our DNA.
Sep 21, 2019, 11:40 AM
Looks like Jeff pulled an all-nighter.
Sep 22, 2019, 12:54 PM
Thread OP
Thanks George - yes, it is part of us to have that assembled view..... In spite of the round " engine " , i abstained from making the sputtering noises..... Much to the relief of my Sweetheart Capri

Gene - having a vacation day helped get that covering done without an all nighter.... The cement i used took quite a while to dry enough to check for wrinkles then gently shrink the panels....

Thermic 50 progress -

One very thin coat of the Nelson clear considerably thinned has been applied to the wing covering..... That took quite a while, but that is OK.....Servo installation may begin today.....

More later,

jeff
Sep 22, 2019, 01:45 PM
She's a beauty Jeff

Quick Reply