This thread is privately moderated by Rocky Mtn Flier, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 11, 2019, 09:43 PM

Crowds?!!!

Dave,
Crowds, what crowds?!!! Hopefully, there will be plenty of wind for everyone!

We will be pulling into Lucas on Thursday with option to stay through Tuesday. We are staying in the little houses across from the K-18.

Also, I'm cleaning the hangar and may bring a few goodies to the slope for sale or trade.

Shame you can't make this outing! I didn't go to Oshkosh this year so I missed you in WI too! Maybe next time!

Garland
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2019, 10:26 PM
Gliders ain't drones!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperhead
Dave,
Crowds, what crowds?!!! Hopefully, there will be plenty of wind for everyone!

We will be pulling into Lucas on Thursday with option to stay through Tuesday. We are staying in the little houses across from the K-18.

Also, I'm cleaning the hangar and may bring a few goodies to the slope for sale or trade.

Shame you can't make this outing! I didn't go to Oshkosh this year so I missed you in WI too! Maybe next time!

Garland
Give my brother Bryan plenty of berth, Garland. He flies his ODR like a combat plane!

Sorry I'll miss you...and the others!

-= Dave
Sep 11, 2019, 10:38 PM
The cabins across from the k-18 restaurant are called Set in stone in Lucas KS.
1-785-735-4006
Sep 12, 2019, 07:07 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
There are some new cabins that opened recently. I don't know anything about them, but they might be an option in the future.
They are just off 232 highway and Shoreline drive, so they are pretty much right on the lake.

Here is what I found with a quick search:
https://livelincolncounty.com/hell-c...n-wilson-lake/
Last edited by mdennis; Sep 12, 2019 at 07:13 AM.
Sep 25, 2019, 09:15 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
For all you folks who are planning to camp at the WF3, I talked with Ranger Matt with the Army Corps this morning and Lucas Park campground - the one "on the water" - will NOT be opened next week (during WF3). So, Sylvan Park campground will be the best bet. I understand that starting Oct 1st, it'll be first come, first serve. No reservations. But in the past it's only had a few campers this time of year, so probably no problem.

Access Sylvan Park CG: On route 232, at the south end of the dam, turn EAST on 181, then about 100 yds, turn LEFT down to the foot of the dam. The campground's there.

I plan to arrive sometime Monday afternoon, hopefully in time to get some flying in. You'll find me and my fiberglass trailer in my usual spot, site #6.

You folks who plan to bring water "toys", will have to drive up and over the dam to access the lake. (About 1/4 mile!)
Sep 25, 2019, 09:27 AM
More Pile-it than Pilot
I just looked at the weather forecast for next week....
What weatherman thinks that it's a sick joke to make it 81 on Wednesday and in the 50's on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday? Hopefully they are wrong as usual.
Sep 26, 2019, 09:28 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
Here's a map of many of the flying slopes at Wilson.
Sep 28, 2019, 01:08 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
Does anyone have a feel of the accuracy of mid-term forecasts for central Kansas? As of this writing (mid-day Sat), the forecast for early this coming week at Wilson looks pretty wet and dismal. But it looks good for flying next Fri thru at least Mon (Oct 4 - 7). If the forecast holds, I’m thinking I might hold off coming out Monday, and plan to show up Wed or Thurs for Fri thru Mon flying.

What’s your experience with central KS forecasts?

... Greg
Sep 29, 2019, 10:57 AM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
Yep. The forecasts seems to be the same... not so good... for flying at Wilson Mon - Thurs this week. So, I think I'll stay in Colorado for some mountain soaring thru Wed, and now plan to arrive at Wilson Thurs for Fri thru Mon flying, returning to Colorado Tues (Oct 8th). (Sometimes its worth all the aches and pains of age, yet being retired with a flexible schedule! ;-)

See you Thursday!

... Greg
Sep 29, 2019, 12:06 PM
And Repairs
Watching the weather too - trying to decide when to leave.
An idea.... If we could make it work for the gang, moving the date a couple of weeks earlier in the future would probably increase the likelihood of southern winds.
Sep 29, 2019, 02:27 PM
Just For The Fun Of It
Thread OP
No problem Ty. We can move WF3 to whatever dates folks want. As an old retired guy with a (theoretically) flexible schedule, I'm open to whenever.

Now I've got to get back to minor a/c fixes as I find issues while loading the planes into the car! LP (and I think), Chris and I will stay west and fly Mexican and Reinecker Ridges in Colorado's South Park (near FairPlay) 'til Wed afternoon when I'll start the long drive to Wilson.

See you soon!

... Greg
Sep 29, 2019, 02:29 PM
And Repairs
I’d love to fly Reinecker ridge someday. Enjoy.
Drive safe.
Sep 29, 2019, 04:57 PM
I will be there Wednesday rain or shine
Sep 30, 2019, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by falco180
I will be there Wednesday rain or shine
Considering my first trip to Wilson Lake, Is there a good slope for Northwest or North wind if the forecast holds with what it says today for next weekend?

Thanks,
Brad
Sep 30, 2019, 01:45 PM
There is a slope for just about any direction

Quick Reply