Sep 08, 2019, 08:55 AM
I assembled it last night in just a few minutes, only issue I had was the flaps binding up. I reamed out the hole in the servo arm with an exacto knife and that freed them up. Hope to maiden it tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2019, 02:29 PM
Maiden went great. Ran two packs through it and it flew fantastic. 2200 4s Floureon pack slid all the way forward balanced right at 80mm. Didn’t need any trim at all. Tracked arrow straight down the runway. Flies on rails just like Pilot Ryan and Capt’n Mike said it would.

I used an ar636 rx with the same setup I copied from my Viper.

Flaps were not used at all. I didn’t trust them since one still hung up during preflight check. I’m just going to replace the servos with better ones and ditch the ball links and install traditional linkages and horns. Without flaps it likes to ride the ground effect. Great deal for $159. Also much easier to handle than the viper

Love this little guy. Super docile in 70% low rates and very fun at 100% high rates.
Sep 09, 2019, 06:03 PM
I have now flown 11 times using Roaringtop 2700 4S batteries with excellent results. The battery sets approx. 1/4 from the front of the battery tray. I set my timer at 4 min. 30 sec. and then land. I have flown as long as 5 min. 10 sec., a go around, and still had 50% left in the batteries. I fly around 60% throttle about 75% of the time and higher the rest. I thought the surface travels were very conservative so I set my surface travels at 50% higher then suggested and the works great for a intermediate level flyer like me. If you are a more experience flier then you may want to increase them.

I've been in the hobby slightly less that 2 years. This is a great first EDF and the flaps option is a nice extra for getting used to bigger future EDF planes, if that is in your future. The flaps do not have any suggested settings so I have my takeoff flaps set at -55% and landing flaps set at 7% on a Spektrum DX8. I and the group at the field are amazed at how well the plane flies and I have no problem setting her on the runway. There are a couple of other guys now looking at the Marlin as a first EDF.

I am using a reprogrammed AR636A receiver with 3 flight modes. Not sure if stabilization is needed, it flies very stable in near calm conditions. I do have the receiver setup in 3 flight modes, zero settings/rates in mode 1, and stabilization set in flight modes 2 and 3. Mode 2 has 40% rate gains across the board and mode 3, has 55% rate gains across the board. Priority for mode 2 and 3 are set at 110. The plane flies with no flutter at full throttle on those setting.
Last edited by flierapprent; Sep 10, 2019 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammer
Sep 09, 2019, 06:06 PM
I see that you said copied all the setting for the Viper on your AR636A. Does this mean you just downloaded the Viper program from the Horizon website including the SAFE select option. If so have you actually flown the Marlin in SAFE?
Sep 09, 2019, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flierapprent
I see that you said copied all the setting for the Viper on your AR636A. Does this mean you just downloaded the Viper program from the Horizon website including the SAFE select option. If so have you actually flown the Marlin in SAFE?
No, just like I wrote, that means I copied the settings from my Viper using the as3x programmer and flashed another AR636 that I installed in the Marlin. I have an FMS Viper, not the EFlite Viper. Both receivers are standard AR636 units, not AR636A. This plane flies fine without safe. If you can fly a low wing sport plane or warbird then you can fly the Marlin. If you need safe to fly it Iím sure you could use a safe select A version flashed with SAFE
Sep 15, 2019, 07:17 PM
This is a really beautiful model. Gorgeous design, excellent production quality. Only complaint: the nose gear servo should be metal-geared. In one of the landings, the plastic gears stripped. No big deal, but the alternative would offer a completely satisfying experience.

Congratulations to Arrows RC/Hobbyzone!!!

Arows RC Marlin 64mm EDF closeup (4 min 18 sec)
Sep 17, 2019, 10:09 PM
Flies great but very difficult to take off from grass and I broke the rod connecting servo arm to the front landing gear but sadly they donít have spare rod from hobbyzone
Sep 17, 2019, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasantia
Flies great but very difficult to take off from grass and I broke the rod connecting servo arm to the front landing gear but sadly they donít have spare rod from hobbyzone
I bet you could remove the gear and slap on some servo covers and it would be great hand tossing and belly landing on grass.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:59 AM
AA6JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
I bet you could remove the gear and slap on some servo covers and it would be great hand tossing and belly landing on grass.

Yes, see my video above. Once I took the gear off, I have never felt an urge to put them back on. Launches SO easy with a 4S 2200mAh pack!
Latest blog entry: Updated FMS 1400mm J3 Cub
Sep 19, 2019, 10:09 PM
This is my first idea for a replacement nose gear drive horn. Made of three-plycredit card material, it features some flexibility to absorb those uneven flying field surfaces. Servo is metal-geared anyway.
Sep 26, 2019, 08:51 PM

Update flight info after 3 dozen flights

Now have over 3 dozen flights on the plane. The plane is very spoiling and is much easier to fly then my P51 1.2 meter.

I have replaced the nose gear servo with a metal geared servo after also damaging the orginal.

I have contacted the company and they are in the process of shipping in the "L" shaped steering arm that attaches to the servo arm. The new one will be made of hardened steel. I have also asked about the servo steering arm and they are looking into it.

I am still using a Roaring Top 2700 4s 35C battery with a flight time of 4.5 minutes. It seems once you have passed 3/4 throttle there is no advantage of going beyond that point as there is no increase of speed. I have set my throttle at 18% for landings which brings the plane down nice and easy with landing flaps in a clam. In windy conditions I land with the flaps in the take off setting which works well.

I have changed the AS3X settings also. The 3rd flight mode setting are now 60% for ROLL, 70% for PITCH, and 75% for YAW. These setting make the plane fly very well and steady in gusty wind conditions.
Last edited by flierapprent; Sep 26, 2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: grammer
Oct 01, 2019, 09:15 PM
What battery connection comes with this plane? Just ordered and want to get ready... T connection?
Oct 02, 2019, 01:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcangelo4
what battery connection comes with this plane? Just ordered and want to get ready... T connection?
xt60
Oct 02, 2019, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiletm
xt60
Thanks!
Oct 05, 2019, 04:03 PM
No suggestions for flaps in the manual. What settings are working for ya'll for takeoff and landing flaps? plan to maiden mine tomorrow from a grass runway with a 3000mah 4s.

Quick Reply