Aug 15, 2019, 01:39 PM
Thread OP
Tha base plate gets hooked up while crawling!

Has anyone tried to mount the suspension arm directly to the base plate?
Then it would be in line with the base plate, and the base plate wouldnt get hooked up anymore.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 03:34 PM
I got it on aliexpress...like most of the stuff for this build. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32927...6c1f4c4dAuI9aE
Aug 15, 2019, 09:43 PM
Thread OP
I was running 3s today on stock motor (QuickRun 1060 ESC) for the first time. my LiHV charger gave up yesterday, so only 4.2V per cell.

In combination with the 160mm wheels the increase of speed is pretty noticeable. The stock motor 540 T60 stayed cool. I guess lower turn 540 motors will work without any harm too. I have 540 T35, T27 and T17 laying around! But too lazy to install them. Waiting for the 550 35T motor instead. I am pretty sure a 550 T17 will work!

I have used a Multistar LiHV 3s 5200mAh lipo!

I will report when the 550 35T motor has arrived.
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Aug 15, 2019 at 11:41 PM.
Aug 15, 2019, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain
I got it on aliexpress...like most of the stuff for this build. https://de.aliexpress.com/item/32927...6c1f4c4dAuI9aE
Cant wait to see more pics of your build!
Aug 16, 2019, 12:23 AM
Thread OP
Strengthening of the body shell at the rear.

I have cut the included velcro in two pieces and glued them to the body shell and to the rear bumper. This gives a lot more strength to the rear body shell. UHU por in addition to self adhessive velcro gives a very strong bonding. The velcro would never come off this way! Anyways, I dont recommend to keep the spare wheel mounted at the rear without further modifications. Body shell is too week to carry the weight and will split!
Aug 16, 2019, 04:04 PM
Thread OP
I have ordered the Surpass Hobby 550 35T motor from AE. Luckily it arrived today which was a very fast shipping!

I had to mount the pinion reversed to match with the spur gear. Also I had to swap the dome from one side to the other from the dust cover. Motor shaft and reversed pinion are longer than with the stock motor.
And I had to remove the black clamp which is around the motor to make it fit! Otherwise the diameter of the motor is too big.

Other than that the motor is installed in 5min!

The Kanyon is a bit faster now, and has a lot more torque. In sharp corners at full speed it rolls over, and when I hit full throttle it performs a wheelie. Maybe I have to go back to the smaller stock wheels for the faster set up!?!?

Measured GPS with my smart phone was 11kmh. I have expected nearly 20kmh with this set up!

Anyways, it isnt as fast as expected. I guess a 12T or a 21 T will work too. 12T/21T/27T/35T are available. ESC and motor stayed cool.

Motor 550 35T
QuickRun 1060 ESC
Multistar 5200mAh 3s
160mm wheels
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Aug 16, 2019 at 06:15 PM.
Aug 16, 2019, 06:41 PM
Thread OP
Does someone know which module the pinion gear is?
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Aug 17, 2019 at 10:40 AM.
Aug 17, 2019, 06:54 AM
We all know, of course, how tall the kanyon is but even when you have measured and know you have 152mm of clearance above the truck sometimes it doesn't look that much.....
And yes I did duck. It's a habit I find hard to shake

Had to be done (0 min 57 sec)
Aug 17, 2019, 10:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
Does someone know which module the pinion gear is?
I have read somewhere that it is Mod 0.6!
Aug 17, 2019, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
I have read somewhere that it is Mod 0.6!
Probably....same as all HSP clones
Aug 20, 2019, 01:09 AM
Thread OP

DF-4J XXL/FTX Kanyon/RH1047 faster set up

Speed: 11Kmh
Motor: 550 35T
Pinion: Stock 17t
ESC: QuickRun 1060
Radio: Radiolink RC6GS
Lipo: 3s 5200mAh 12.6V
Wheels: 160mm
25mm axle widener
L-profile aluminum bar mod, 400mm x 15mm x 15mm
4x M3 nylon spacer, 36mm to lift the shell

DF-4J XXL/FTX Kanyon/RH1047 faster set up (1 min 49 sec)
Last edited by SilbernerSurfer; Aug 20, 2019 at 01:48 AM.
Aug 20, 2019, 03:16 AM
Hmm
Nearly a candidate for "Bashing"

Seriously though, well done for achieving your stated speed upgrade.
Not something that I'd do but whatever floats your boat
Aug 20, 2019, 06:55 PM
Thread OP

DF-4J XXL/FTX Kanyon Night FPV at a rainy day!

Night FPV at a rainy night!

Quite successful for the first test run! I have quickly made a rain protection out of a clear plastic sheet, applied with scotch tape. I think it was the packaging from a LED bar I have bought.

No water at the windshield. Only problem could be the rain drops falling at the bonnet. To avoid this at higher speed, possibly the rain protection should be a bit longer?!

Still some distortion from the windshield, but this will be solved when the acrylic sheets arrived, or a hole is cut out at the windshield for the cam.

Night FPV at a rainy day! (2 min 50 sec)
Aug 31, 2019, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
I have unlocked the front and rear diff now! Much better driving performance!

If it turns out that I need more traction, I will lock the rear diff again. But the front diff will stay unlocked!
Sep 01, 2019, 02:44 PM
I find it hard to believe that the 10428 and your new crawler are the same scale as the new one looks HUGE standing next to it. I say that realizing some of it is the big wheels and tires, but that isn’t all of it.
Our good buddy, Reptileman , has a video where he uses 8 stick- on wheel weights per wheel to gain front weight. They are attached to the wheel internally with a strip of Gorilla Tape for extra staying power. The tire and bead locks are then installed and you would never know they are there.
I saw a list of possible motors to try and caution you that an average ESC will not like a 12T motor! Ask me how I know.
I had a ZD Racing monster truck for a while and took the advice of a poster to line the body with Gorilla Tape and it makes it a lot tougher, but I don’t think that also makes it stiffer. It will still flex. My thought process is leading me to the RedCat Everest Gen 7 Pro. One thing that the Pro version has is a complete body roll cage to stiffen the body. There are 2 of those bodies for sale in the Classifieds, but S&H might be a problem to Europe. It would likely double the price!
When you guys talked about the Kanyon , there is the Arrma one that is a monster truck with a version that can run on 6S!!! This is quite the different animal.

Quick Reply