Jul 21, 2019, 03:16 AM
Yes you can use putty in the diffs rather than the metal kit parts. And yes the choice of wheels is pretty much yours, remembering, of course, that the motor is different to the Kanyon ( I think the MT is 20 turn?)
I'm not sure about the esc.

As for the kanyon chassis mods, depending how you do them they are are a pretty quick and relatively cheap mod. I'm planning to use 15mm aluminium L section and a few bolts rather than the box section favoured by some.
And yes the MT doesn't need this because it doesn't have bumper extension plates. The only bumpers are the body mouldings. That largely would be the case with alternative bodies too
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 06:00 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didactylos4
And yes the choice of wheels is pretty much yours, remembering, of course, that the motor is different to the Kanyon ( I think the MT is 20 turn?
I have lowered the max speed of my 10428 to 20kmh. I was thinking this will be still too fast for my kind of driving over soft trails. I was a bit wrong maybe about this. 25kmh or even 30kmh would work too. I think the faster motor would fit my needs more.

The Kanyon in stock set up makes only 5kmh max speed. As I dont want to use it for heavy crawling I preferr it faster to drive over the trails.

Quote:
I'm not sure about the esc.
I want to use a 3s lipo. Possibly the Mighty Thunder has a 3s ESC. But I doubt it.

Quote:

As for the kanyon chassis mods, depending how you do them they are are a pretty quick and relatively cheap mod. I'm planning to use 15mm aluminium L section and a few bolts rather than the box section favoured by some.
Have the L shaped ones at home. 3mm thickness. Maybe 2mm would work also.

Quote:
And yes the MT doesn't need this because it doesn't have bumper extension plates. The only bumpers are the body mouldings. That largely would be the case with alternative bodies too
My wheels would have been the bumpers. Or I have to create one.
Jul 21, 2019, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilbernerSurfer
I have lowered the max speed of my 10428 to 20kmh. I was thinking this will be still too fast for my kind of driving over soft trails. I was a bit wrong maybe about this. 25kmh or even 30kmh would work too. I think the faster motor would fit my needs more.

The Kanyon in stock set up makes only 5kmh max speed. As I dont want to use it for heavy crawling I preferr it faster to drive over the trails.
Interesting. I thought it 8 kph

Quote:
I want to use a 3s lipo. Possibly the Mighty Thunder has a 3s ESC. But I doubt it.
I have to ask why?
I don't think the Kanyon takes 3s either

Quote:
Have the L shaped ones at home. 3mm thickness. Maybe 2mm would work also.
Mine are 2mm thickness 15mm depth

Quote:
My wheels would have been the bumpers. Or I have to create one.
I've tried running trucks like that. Works well unless you straddle an obstruction.....
Bodies are cheap though
Jul 21, 2019, 07:51 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Interesting. I thought it 8 kph
I have seen a kind of review about the speed on YT.
A guy measured the GPS speed with his smart phone. I think this was with stock batt.

Around 4.8kmh.

Quote:

I have to ask why?
I don't think the Kanyon takes 3s either
I know, the ESC handles only 2s. In the manual of the ESC you can see there is a version of the ESC that handles 3s too.

I think the drive train will handle it. Speed will be similar to the Mighty Thunder.

I have high capacity 3s Multistar batts from 3000mah to 5200mah.
I want to use them. And I want more speed then the 5kmh.
Jul 21, 2019, 08:26 AM
Quote:
I have seen a kind of review about the speed on YT.
A guy measured the GPS speed with his smart phone. I think this was with stock batt.

Around 4.8kmh.
Not seen that one. I'll go look for it

Quote:

I know, the ESC handles only 2s. In the manual of the ESC you can see there is a version of the ESC that handles 3s too.

I think the drive train will handle it. Speed will be similar to the Mighty Thunder.
Might be but as I mentioned the MT comes with a 21 turn battery

Quote:
I have high capacity 3s Multistar batts from 3000mah to 5200mah.
I want to use them. And I want more speed then the 5kmh.
I can see why you want to use the existing batteries. But that may not make too much of a speed difference. It is after all a brushed motor.
Your truck = your way natch
Jul 21, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
You are right, 3s with the 21T motor would be too much for the MT, and probably for my needs too! In that case a smaller pinion is needed.
But for the DF4J 3s will work pretty good, I am sure about this. I will report of course.

Actually a 3s, compared to a 2s set up will give you 50% more speed. This in addition to the bigger wheels (25% more speed). If the stock max speed is 5kmh I will come to around 9 or 10kmh. If I ave calculated right!
Of course there will be some more resistance, but stock batt is a nimh.

I will make a GPS speed test! At the moment I am in bed with the flu!
Jul 21, 2019, 12:47 PM
I look forward to your experiments with interest. When you are well of course.

The decision on what speed you want is dependent, as always, on how you intend to run the truck and where
Jul 22, 2019, 03:15 AM
The Kanyon is back in stock at two major UK sites.
Order placed before they run out again
Jul 22, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Nice! You will receive it before weekend, right?
Jul 22, 2019, 03:07 PM
All things being equal
Jul 23, 2019, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Actually a 3s, compared to a 2s set up will give you 50% more speed.
Aaahh....no. It will raise your chances to burn your motor though.
Jul 23, 2019, 04:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain
Aaahh....no. It will raise your chances to burn your motor though.
I know what you mean! I am hoping that I will get away with it by driving on soft trails and tarmac only.
Jul 23, 2019, 04:39 PM
There are plenty of spares available if it doesn't work
Jul 24, 2019, 04:22 AM
To my surprise, the tracking system indicates that mine will arrive tomorrow.
I'm used to non Amazon prime and chinese site delivery dates
Jul 24, 2019, 10:24 AM
And as it is arriving quite soon I've set out a slightly vague but hopefully sensible plan of action for this new truck.

1) I'm going to take it out virtually stock for the first runs with just the rear wheel removed and the body position and suspension adjusted to avoid "rubbing" and with the AIO velcroed to the bonnet/hood up by the windscreen.
I may also fit a visible rod vertically on the front bumper to indicate maximum height until I get used to the change

2) The standard chassis mods will take place as will the removal of the roof-rack as will the taping and possibly reinforcement of the body shell

3) I'll probably add some extra weight to the front behind the bumper

4) Then I will use the AIO to determine the final position of more hobby grade FPV gear

5) See what 1-4 shows to be necessary and start doing it.

I hope to provide both photos and videos of the process throughout

Quick Reply