Jul 05, 2019, 04:49 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

GY611 setup im confused

I picked up a Raptor 90... it came with Everything except a reciever and battery...

its set up with a GY611 they guy I got it from (ive know a longtime but hes 1000's of miles from me now) said the heli/ gyro and governor were all setup and ready to go...

OK im reading the gy611 instructions and im getting confused the more I read..

it looks like one wire is signal wire from the rudder on my receiver..

next is GYRO on receiver (im assuming channel 5)

so what is confusing me the instructions talk about " flight mode" and "Hover mode" is this something I need to set up with another switch??? or is that set up with Gyro gain.... if I read right NOR mode is below 50% gain and AVC mode is above 50% gain?? does that change it from "hover" to "Flight" mode??

also if I get this straight... if I initialize the gyro with the gain below 50% then within ONE SECOND of turning it on I go back and forth on the rudder stick full left full right 3 times this will set the gyro to CENTER the rudder ??? im figuring its set centered BUT his radio and MY radio might have a different definition of "CENTER" and doing this will allow the gyro to set center (zero rudder stick) first time out...

after that if I set switch 5 to what looks like in the instructions to 15% (low) and 85% (high) thats a good place to start?? and does that mean I actually have to switch from HOVER mode to FLIGHT mode every time I fly?? thats whats confusing me..

last question... I did not see in the instructions anything on input voltage.. will I Be ok using 6.6 volt LIFE or do I need a BEC to set that to a lower voltage .. (I note that all the servos can use higher voltage... BUT im not sure on the rudder servo...)

OK not the last question.. it also has a governor... (my first nitro heli) how do I connect that to the raido.. it says "aerospire multigov pro" im digging for more info on that as we speak..

thanks I can provide more info IF I knew more what I was doing... wish I had a nitro guy in my area to help me out..

thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 08:23 AM
Rojoalfa

Be careful with life 6.6 volts on rudder servos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalwizard
so what is confusing me the instructions talk about " flight mode" and "Hover mode" is this something I need to set up with another switch??? or is that set up with Gyro gain.... if I read right NOR mode is below 50% gain and AVC mode is above 50% gain?? does that change it from "hover" to "Flight" mode??
Two flights mode. Normal and AVC (heading lock).
Just one switch controlling gyro gain.

Quote:
Also if I get this straight... if I initialize the gyro with the gain below 50% then within ONE SECOND of turning it on I go back and forth on the rudder stick full left full right 3 times this will set the gyro to CENTER the rudder ??? im figuring its set centered BUT his radio and MY radio might have a different definition of "CENTER" and doing this will allow the gyro to set center (zero rudder stick) first time out...

This is a very useful function from this gyro.
It is a way to memorice central position of rudder in normal mode.

You flight the helicopter, trim only in normal mode, when you finish, by the time you hover and put your heli on the ground, you flip the switch gyro gain three times and memorice this position for AVC mode.
No more...

Quote:
I did not see in the instructions anything on input voltage.. will I Be ok using 6.6 volt LIFE or do I need a BEC to set that to a lower voltage .. (I note that all the servos can use higher voltage... BUT im not sure on the rudder servo...)
Gy611 work up to 6 volts... But... Be careful with rudder servo. If it is a 9256, this is a 4.8 volts servo... So... Be careful.

That life batt without a step down voltage servo for rudder, is very dangerous for that servo.

Let talk about Governor, later on...

/
Jul 06, 2019, 01:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoalfa
Two flights mode. Normal and AVC (heading lock).
Just one switch controlling gyro gain.

This is a very useful function from this gyro.
It is a way to memorice central position of rudder in normal mode.

You flight the helicopter, trim only in normal mode, when you finish, by the time you hover and put your heli on the ground, you flip the switch gyro gain three times and memorice this position for AVC mode.
No more...

Gy611 work up to 6 volts... But... Be careful with rudder servo. If it is a 9256, this is a 4.8 volts servo... So... Be careful.

That life batt without a step down voltage servo for rudder, is very dangerous for that servo.

Let talk about Governor, later on...

/

OK mostly good info...

so on the switch I choose a number ONE lower that 50 for NORMAL (hover) one above 50 for heading lock (avo or flight mode) then adjust the above 50 number until its no wag... ( i guess I could put it on a knob or slider until I get it set where there is no wag...)

YEs this has the correct servo so I will get a voltage regulator for 4.8 volts.. I have a couple of 5 volt regulators.. will that be ok?? ive never heard of an actual 4.8 volt regulator (bec)
Jul 06, 2019, 02:13 PM
Rojoalfa
/

Yes... You only fly your rappy in normal mode for setup flights... After setting your raptor tail, fly always in AVC mode... And forget about it...

About nominal voltage...

When you read 4.8 volts, that means nominal voltage... So, max voltage should be around 5.1 to 5.6 volts.

When you read 6 volts, that means nominal voltage... So, max voltage should be around 6 to 7.5 volts.

That is why life batts do the job without problem for nominal 6 volts...

That is because each cell is around 1.2 volts to 1.5 volts.

/
Jul 06, 2019, 02:39 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
/

Yes... You only fly your rappy in normal mode for setup flights... After setting your raptor tail, fly always in AVC mode... And forget about it...

About nominal voltage...

When you read 4.8 volts, that means nominal voltage... So, max voltage should be around 5.1 to 5.6 volts.

When you read 6 volts, that means nominal voltage... So, max voltage should be around 6 to 7.5 volts.

That is why life batts do the job without problem for nominal 6 volts...

That is because each cell is around 1.2 volts to 1.5 volts.

/
thank you so much for the help.... that all makes sense..

and thats what I figured on the voltage.. BUT when you said 4.8 volts max I just wanted to be sure.. I will use this castle creation BEC I have I believe its 10 amps... im sure thats PLENTY for everything I have going on!
Jul 06, 2019, 02:50 PM
Rojoalfa

Raptor 90 almost ready to fly...

/
/

That is all you need to do with your gy611, at this time.
There is also other functions, and it is related to your flight performance... Gy611 can be program for hard 3D or F3C... So, it should be better check that , prior to your first test.
On your first test, check always temperature for servo 9256... Be careful with top A and B travel...

Ok, now... It is time for talking about your raptor 90 Governor...

/
Jul 06, 2019, 04:35 PM
Thread OP
Top a and b travel???

the guy I got it from is a friend.. he said its set up for simple flying not hard 3d... thats fine for me I wont fly it hard anyways.. simple pattern etc..
Jul 06, 2019, 05:12 PM
Rojoalfa

Good to know...

/
/

It is good to know...

Travel top A and B... That is gy611 handle the travel adjustment for rudder servo.
Be careful that servo 9256 is not forcing in both direction...

No further adjustment is required...

Your "aerospire multigov pro" can wait... so... You need the display for programming by the time you decide to setup your rappy...

/
Jul 06, 2019, 05:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
/
/

It is good to know...

Travel top A and B... That is gy611 handle the travel adjustment for rudder servo.
Be careful that servo 9256 is not forcing in both direction...

No further adjustment is required...

Your "aerospire multigov pro" can wait... so... You need the display for programming by the time you decide to setup your rappy...

/
On he governor he said it was set up ready to go.. I DONT have the display for it... wonder if I can get that by itself..

he said "its plug and play... everythings setup and in flying condition..

I understand that the gyro will need the gain set... but I think the governor should be set correctly.. I imagine I jsut plug it into a spot on my receiver??
Jul 06, 2019, 06:23 PM
Rojoalfa

Not plug and play...

/
/

Well, it is important that, on this raptor 90, was running the governor.

Changing receiver and transmitter is not like plug and play... Some setup is required.

1.- Rpm of your choice...

2.- Switch to handle gov ON and OFF...

3.- Limits for travel servo for throttle..

So, if your friend is with you on your flight test... Good.

/

Quick Reply