Aug 16, 2019, 08:23 PM
SAM Elec GrdChmp04,07,10,12,14
Thread OP

Stabilator build for Champion

Finally got the plans for the Stabillator and Vertical Stab/Rudder for the Champion and have been able to make some progress to the point where some building can be seen.
Here is the Stabilator, decided to use a stabilator as it is pretty well self correcting when it comes to mounting it as compared to the angle of attack for the wing.
Also it's more responsive and actually fairly easy to build and hook up the controls.
Here some pictures
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2019, 08:47 PM
Thread OP

Champion V. Stab and Rudder

Folowing along with the stabilator build and install, next was the V. Stabilator and Rudder.
The Champion with it's orginal design has a peculiar V. Stab, fixed portion that it very small so keeping in the character of the original I made mine the same with a a large Rudder.
Also started with the dorsal fin sub rudder.
Last edited by Jay Burkart; Aug 18, 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Aug 18, 2019, 10:52 PM
Thread OP

V. Stab and Rudder finished. Fuselage ready to cover

Over the last several days I completed the sub rudder mounting, made a fillet around the stabilator root mounts and did a little filling
with balsa filler. I think that everything is smooth and contoured with no errant bumps, nicks or whoops on the fuselage.

I fine tuned the wing retainer detents and think I've got it ready to cover after I put a coat on SIG Stixit on the whole fuselage.
Now I've run out of excuses and have to tackle the wings and their elliptical dihedral tips.
So in the next few days, I'll put the wing jig on the bench, splice the curved pieces onto the LE, TE and spars.
Jay
Aug 19, 2019, 07:20 AM
nice joiners!
Aug 19, 2019, 07:30 AM
------
A very elegant glider from a prolific designer, found that "bare bones" picture on a French site:
http://lesgpr.free.fr/construire/cha...hampionnat.htm
Aug 19, 2019, 12:00 PM
Thread OP
Coriolan,

Thanks for posting that completed picture of a RC version of the build.
I really should have posted some pictures from that web site too.
Also there is the magazine cover from the French Modeler Magazine "Air Sport"
Shows Emmanuel Fillon holding his Free Flight Champion.
What surprises me more than anything is the date of the magazine showing an issue date of Sept. 1943, which was in the middle of WW2 and France was occupied at that time.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:29 PM
------
I particularly like this view which show the wing curve, 1943 wasn't a pleasant time indeed for peoples in occupied Europe even basic needs where rationed or not available at all. But when you look at that list of gliders from the period there was lot of activity all over:

http://claudel.dopp.free.fr/Les_plan...s-antiques.htm
Aug 26, 2019, 04:16 PM
AMA 179-CD
Hi Jay - Just wanted to chime in and follow your build on this very artistic flying model that I have ordered the short kit for. Looking forward to building this awesome design. Ed
Aug 26, 2019, 05:37 PM
Thread OP
Ed,
Whose short kit did you order. Our short kits were from BelAir in England.
They were just OK, had some mistakes on fit but the cut quality is pretty good.
Aug 26, 2019, 06:35 PM
AMA 179-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Burkart
Ed,
Whose short kit did you order. Our short kits were from BelAir in England.
They were just OK, had some mistakes on fit but the cut quality is pretty good.
Yep, W: www.belairdigital.co.uk | E: [email protected] and I'm hoping the plans are of good quality. Ed
Aug 26, 2019, 07:16 PM
Thread OP
Ed,

Be aware that you may get hit with import duty on the kits. We did to the tune of about $40, plus shipping, plus the cost of the kits.
We didn't get charged for the import duty until the Postman came up and said we owed that amount............Didn't even realized that we
got charged for that. That was for two kits and two plans. I think that Belair charged us about $100 per kit.
The plans are exactly the plans from the old Aero Modeler article, they are from about 1964 I believe. They are done as the Champion as a free flight
tow line glider, you'll have to convert it to RC.
Jay
Aug 27, 2019, 12:11 PM
AMA 179-CD
Jay - I made the transaction through Paypal, including shipping one kit cost about $168. Don't know if other charges will be made, but guess I'll find out! Perhaps the post office will simply deliver the box... Ed

Well, UPS simply delivered the box, there was no additional charges. Ed
Last edited by CloudCruiser; Sep 16, 2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: updating
Aug 29, 2019, 09:18 PM
Thermals, Tom
Jay:

Did you get you VAT back?
Latest blog entry: Steak and Old Timers
Aug 31, 2019, 03:39 PM
AMA 179-CD
Hi Jay - I'd like to pre-order the additional wood I'll need to complete the Fillon, would you perhaps have a list? Also, I noticed you enlarged the rudder quite a bit, to increase turning authority I expect. But when I watched the Youtube videos of a recent Fillon flying slope soaring, it looks very aerobatic using what appears to be the stock rudder... Makes me wonder what I should do in my build. Ed
Sep 15, 2019, 03:58 PM
Thread OP

Fillon Champion

Sorry I'm a bit late with this reply.
That Fillon Champion flown by John Woodfield is far from stock and has a much larger V. stab and rudder, it also seems to have a different Horizontal stab from some other still pictures of it that I found. I tried to contact him to get some idea about his but he doesn't seem to reply.
Realize that the only prints and short kit for the Champion are for the original Free flight version.
Jay

Quick Reply