Jul 05, 2019, 02:03 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

30-50cc motors

Hey Guys, looking for hands on recommendations for 30-50cc electric motors.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 05, 2019, 02:40 PM
Check here: http://hackermotorusa.com/
Jul 09, 2019, 01:34 PM
I have one of these pulling a 17 pound sport plane.
https://graysonhobby.com/tomcat-g160...lass-30cc.html
I use two 5s batteries with a 120 amp castle esc.
Jul 14, 2019, 04:45 AM
So many planes, so little time
I use one of these as available:

https://www.altitudehobbies.com/prod...82b18af6&_ss=r

https://www.hobbypartz.com/96m608-bi...335-245kv.html

Good luck!

Jul 17, 2019, 06:21 AM
Even though they cost more the Great Planes RimFire 1.60, 50cc, and 65cc brushless motors work really well. The Horizon EFlite Power 1.60 and Power 360 motors work good too. Esprit tech sells the Jeti and their own branded Esprit tech motors in large sizes too. These motors also sport built in telemetry too.

You probably want to keep these big motors away from credit cards and computers as those huge magnets are strong. They tend suck up screws, nuts, bolts and tools easily too. If you lose one, check the motor as it may be stuck to it.
Jul 17, 2019, 06:02 PM
Just don't buy a cheap motor for a plane that size.
Jul 17, 2019, 09:40 PM
I would suggest getting s good ESC too. Those chesper ESCs may work fine, but it is the luck of the draw, so to speak. With the big motors and high voltage Lipo battery packs, if the ESC fails, it could take the electronics in the plane or the plane itself out too. The better quality ESCs are tested more and use better quality parts than the cheap ones. Thus less likely to have a bad failure on you.
Jul 17, 2019, 09:48 PM
The motor is only one part of the system and shouldn't be selected in isolation.

Rather than rely on a label (30cc, 50cc, 60cc) which is based on different assumptions on voltage and prop size by different vendors, why not design a power system that suits your model.

Set a max power requirement, which will drive voltage and capacity and also the minimum motor weight that can handle the power.

Effect of motor weight on balance should also be considered - eg it may make sense to somewhat under prop a bigger motor if the mode needs lots of nose weight.

Decide on a prop or range of props considering maximum diameter feasible and speed required.

Use a motor calculator or ask here for options that will meet those requirements.
Jul 28, 2019, 12:52 AM
I've had a lot of good success with the Rimfire 50cc and 65cc motors on 12s. If the plane in question is a warbird or something that needs nose weight, a heavier motor can help keep dead weight off the nose....as long as batteries fit
I'm putting a 50cc Rimfire on a 30cc hangar 9 spitfire to keep from adding 2 to 3 pounds of lead.
This plane also will fly on an eflite power 160 on 10s.
Weight concerns should be kept in mind as some planes carry weight better then others.
Also run eflite power 110s on 8s on several 73" fibreglass fuse esm models.

What plane are you looking to set up?
Jul 28, 2019, 05:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katniss
I've had a lot of good success with the Rimfire 50cc and 65cc motors on 12s. If the plane in question is a warbird or something that needs nose weight, a heavier motor can help keep dead weight off the nose....as long as batteries fit
I'm putting a 50cc Rimfire on a 30cc hangar 9 spitfire to keep from adding 2 to 3 pounds of lead.
This plane also will fly on an eflite power 160 on 10s.
Weight concerns should be kept in mind as some planes carry weight better then others.
Also run eflite power 110s on 8s on several 73" fibreglass fuse esm models.

What plane are you looking to set up?
I have lost my hearing and I'm having trouble flying with out hearing the engine. I dorked a Laser twice last year because I couldn't hear that the engine died. My first conversion was planned to be my 1/4 scale SE5a. But the conversion to electric is proving to be economically un feasible. I'm looking at $800-$1000 dollars to replace a $250 gas engine. I have decided to fly my gas fleet to oblivion and consider electric power for future projects.

Thanks to all who helped.
steve
Aug 03, 2019, 05:49 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Timely thread for me !
I just picked up a Giant Scale CMP Zero that was flying on a G62 gas engine.
At the time, these models were assembled with zero worries about weight , so with the G62, 3 giant scale servos in the tail, flap and aleron servos in the wing ( behind the CG ) ‘this model needed 2.5 lbs + the engine !!!!!
So I have my work cut out for me. Do not want to fly gas , I am thinking the following.
1) 50cc min —perhaps a 65CC
2) would like to stay with 12 cells 5000 packs
3) ESC -still evaluating
4) XT90 connectors
__________________________________________________ ______________
So —not sure how much weight I can save by moving the tail servos because I can run a pull pull on the rudder and save weight, but the split elevator current set up would need carbon fiber pushrods with support all the way thru the fuselage.
Lots to consider!
Aug 03, 2019, 09:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm
Timely thread for me !
I just picked up a Giant Scale CMP Zero that was flying on a G62 gas engine.
At the time, these models were assembled with zero worries about weight , so with the G62, 3 giant scale servos in the tail, flap and aleron servos in the wing ( behind the CG ) ‘this model needed 2.5 lbs + the engine !!!!!
So I have my work cut out for me. Do not want to fly gas , I am thinking the following.
1) 50cc min —perhaps a 65CC
2) would like to stay with 12 cells 5000 packs
3) ESC -still evaluating
4) XT90 connectors
__________________________________________________ ______________
So —not sure how much weight I can save by moving the tail servos because I can run a pull pull on the rudder and save weight, but the split elevator current set up would need carbon fiber pushrods with support all the way thru the fuselage.
Lots to consider!
You might need to move the big servos from the tail forward into the fuselage. That would reduce the dead weight needed to help balance the model. But with electrics, if you have the room for it, you can always go bigger on the batteries instead of useless lead weight.
Last edited by earlwb; Aug 03, 2019 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
Aug 03, 2019, 12:38 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I agree but not sure how the total weight is saved if i add push rod supports inside the fuselage.
I am going to need zero flex for the distance of the fuselage to the front of the model.
I did the same thing a long time ago on my CMP Fw190 but that was 71” span , this model is much larger
Aug 06, 2019, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model
Where is your winding resistance numbers?

Quick Reply