Jan 02, 2020, 07:09 AM
More gadgets please.
Thread OP
Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Brent,
I'm glad you are finishing up your build. Get 'er done!

I used Corona Metal Gear wing servos from HK for the entire build other than the elevator.
For that, I used a Savox-1258TG coreless servo.

Corona wing servos are budget but they are well made. Great for ailerons and flaps.

I always get spendy on the elevator servo...can't fly without that one
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2020, 08:10 PM
More gadgets please.
Thread OP
Flight number #2,3,4 in the books.

#4 touchdown was a bit stiff and in the grass, but nothing too bad. I think I caught a depression in the ground. Anyways, the pin holding the gear to the retract bent but the plane rolled out fine.

I think I need to find something stiffer/stronger. Suggestions?
Jan 12, 2020, 10:17 PM
Classic jets rule
I have used piano wire in the past. You may have to drill out the strut and or the retract trounion. Piano wire is more like spring steel.
Jan 13, 2020, 09:44 PM
Tough choice: Bend the pin or rip the gear out of the wing. I prefer to bend and replace the pin...
Jan 14, 2020, 03:03 PM
More gadgets please.
Thread OP
Thanks for the input guys.

I agree, bending the pin and having it act like the "fuse" for a rough landing is probably better than damaging the wing at the gear mounting. However, these pins are pretty soft. I was able to straighten out the pin with a very light hammer tap. It's not too bad of a field repair to do...but I hate to have landing gear issues end a fly-day.

Gonna have to set her down real light from here on out!
Last edited by pete914; Jan 14, 2020 at 03:16 PM.
Jan 15, 2020, 12:19 AM
Classic jets rule
Are you using flaps?
Jan 15, 2020, 08:03 PM
Dont forget the velcro straps
As others have said...id rather bend a pin than rip the mount out of the wing. Once you get used to it..and hopefully your using some flaps..she will touch fown nose high..soft as a babies bottom
Feb 16, 2020, 07:54 AM
More gadgets please.
Thread OP
7-flights in the bag!
Landing flaps cause some ballooning which adds to my workload on landing. Finding the sweet spot for speed on landing is still giving me some challenges too.
I think I'm going to get it though.

Compared to my beloved HSD F-16 she feels like a trainer. The low wing loading and crazy power just make it a completely different jet to fly. The F-16 likes it fast and slows down quickly to land. Not the T-38!

The landing gear is bending on every landing. Just a little bit but enough to have to stop and mess with it.
I replaced one pin with hardened steel last night but for the life of me could not get the other pin out
Honestly, the retract itself has been very strong and given me no issue. It's just the pin.

Once I can get this issue sorted I'm hoping to install gear doors and lighting system. Stay tuned...
Feb 16, 2020, 10:28 AM
Dont forget the velcro straps
Do you have any down elev mixed with flaps? Because i had to add down to mine

Quick Reply