Jul 06, 2019, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismoe
SpektrumRC needs to wake up. R&D is what is costing money. They cant spread out on a large range of models. Keep the DXe. Cut price on DX8e and DX9 to the $149 and $249 mark. Drop the rest of the DX line. Put iX12 (and later mii) to the $499 mark, and the new iX20 to $999. In addition they could sell it with the DX20 aluminum gimbals at a higher price. If they add a software upgrade at $249 to make the iX12 18 channel, the line would be complete. Keeping the pricing they have will destroy their sales in few years. Look at the new Jumper T16 at $149 and the Taranis delivering 24 channels and hall sensor gimbals for $120. The open TX environment that before was for the inner circle of geeks, is becoming as easy to use as Spektrum, and will take over the market if to compete only with equipment four times as expensive. Also Futaba has a say by putting the 16SZ at $800. If Spektrum prices its iX20 to $1399 or $1499 it need some rather convincing features if anyone should buy this instead of the 16SZ or 18SZ.

The future of SpektrumRC is pretty much decided by their coming price strategy. Too many grate companies has disappeared because of trying to compensate lower sales with higher prices, instead of increasing volume by reducing price to meet competition.

Spektrum might still be strong in the age 50+ segment where I belong, but with the new generations entering the sport, it is Taranis as far as the eye can see. I cant see how Spektrum could «blame» them either as there is no Spektrum alternative to the Q X7 or 9X Lite Pro. I might be wrong but I am afraid I’m not.
I like the ix12 size. However I have multiple airplanes that use in excess of 12 ch. if they did release a software patch to make the 12 an 18 I’d be in. I also agree with the pricing remarks. I will probably get an ix20 when they come out if the price is appropriate. For me $1000 is a good line in the sand. I don’t think I could justify spending more than that on a transmitter. I have been a Spektrum user since the original dx7 came out. That being said a good friend is using a Horus x10s (16ch) and loves it. If Spektrum gets any more expensive I might be tempted to jump ship. They are going to have to stay at least a little competitive in price or they will continue to lose customers. I love my Spektrum radios and always recommend them to new people. But some of the other things on the market are really starting to shake things up.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 06, 2019, 09:21 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by r39o
The only thing I notice is more processor horsepower.
get your popcorn ready
Jul 06, 2019, 10:25 AM
Julian T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb
What have you been sniffing?

I've got all the Futaba 18's and they all do as nappyroots2182 says; if they are off for more than four hours, the longer boot up time is required for a start. The Anniversary Edition 18SZ and the 18MZ WC both boot a bit faster than the older 18MZ on initial boot. After t;hat first power on cycle, it is indeed just a matter of seconds for them to turn on again.

As for high end Futaba Radios? I'd consider the other two you mention to be antiques.....
With apologies to others for the off topic reply. I have only a standard 18SZ to hand which had not been used for over 24 hours. On switch on it took less than 3 seconds to boot to RF transmission. I have found it takes slightly longer - around 1 second - to transmit RF in FHSS mode than it does in Fasst mode. Powering off and restarting had zero effect, or at least indiscernible effect on start up time. I deliberately stayed off the drugs to perform the test! When I did try a 'standard' 18MZ it did not exhibit any exceptional delay but that was not on a 'cold' system.

As for the14MZ and 12Z being antiques, they are old but amazingly can still be used to fly model aircraft quite well. Strange but true
Jul 06, 2019, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliant
With apologies to others for the off topic reply. I have only a standard 18SZ to hand which had not been used for over 24 hours. On switch on it took less than 3 seconds to boot to RF transmission.
The iX12 is identical in that regard if you have not disabled RF for switch position warnings. It's on, ready to go. It's the UI that comes up slower.

Andy
Jul 06, 2019, 02:41 PM
Stand by here come banana
Quote:
SpektrumRC needs to wake up. R&D is what is costing money. They cant spread out on a large range of models. Keep the DXe. Cut price on DX8e and DX9 to the $149 and $249 mark. Drop the rest of the DX line. Put iX12 (and later mii) to the $499 mark, and the new iX20 to $999. In addition they could sell it with the DX20 aluminum gimbals at a higher price. If they add a software upgrade at $249 to make the iX12 18 channel, the line would be complete. Keeping the pricing they have will destroy their sales in few years. Look at the new Jumper T16 at $149 and the Taranis delivering 24 channels and hall sensor gimbals for $120. The open TX environment that before was for the inner circle of geeks, is becoming as easy to use as Spektrum, and will take over the market if to compete only with equipment four times as expensive. Also Futaba has a say by putting the 16SZ at $800. If Spektrum prices its iX20 to $1399 or $1499 it need some rather convincing features if anyone should buy this instead of the 16SZ or 18SZ.

The future of SpektrumRC is pretty much decided by their coming price strategy. Too many grate companies has disappeared because of trying to compensate lower sales with higher prices, instead of increasing volume by reducing price to meet competition.

Spektrum might still be strong in the age 50+ segment where I belong, but with the new generations entering the sport, it is Taranis as far as the eye can see. I cant see how Spektrum could «blame» them either as there is no Spektrum alternative to the Q X7 or 9X Lite Pro. I might be wrong but I am afraid I’m not.
Hughsey say you right, young people connect radio and program from computer, old people press button on radio.

Hughsey say Spektrum need to program from computer!
Jul 06, 2019, 03:48 PM
Nobody understands why Hughsey continues to reference him/her self in the 3rd person. It's not clever. As a result, it's hard to take seriously Hughsey's comments.

The ability to tweak and tune parameters directly on the radio is a pretty useful thing to be able to do at the flying field. This is what serious competitors do. I've seen someone bring a laptop with them to the flying field exactly 1 time. It was Quique reviewing flight telemetry on a new Flex aircraft under development. I believe he was also dialing in the Aura gyro.
Jul 06, 2019, 04:10 PM
Hughsey say Hughsey cool!

Take serious or not, not Hughsey issue!
Jul 06, 2019, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction
Nobody understands why Hughsey continues to reference him/her self in the 3rd person. It's not clever. As a result, it's hard to take seriously Hughsey's comments.

The ability to tweak and tune parameters directly on the radio is a pretty useful thing to be able to do at the flying field. This is what serious competitors do. I've seen someone bring a laptop with them to the flying field exactly 1 time. It was Quique reviewing flight telemetry on a new Flex aircraft under development. I believe he was also dialing in the Aura gyro.
I take a computer to the field with me every time I go. I don’t use it every time, however if I need to make an adjustment on a gyro (I primarily use cortex) it is necessary to use a computer. I’d say at our field I see someone with a computer hooked up to an airplane about every other or every 3rd time I fly. I don’t think it is inconvenient at all. I think it is probably the direction we are going. When I fly FPV I use my laptop almost every trip out. That being said, I wouldn’t want to plug a transmitter into a laptop every time I wanted to make a small adjustment. But for initial setup, especially on something complex like a big war bird or jet, I think a computer interface would be very useful. Best of both worlds.
Jul 06, 2019, 07:17 PM
Airborn understand Hughsey!

Hughsey English not very good :-(

Hughsey practice!
Jul 06, 2019, 08:29 PM
Nuff is e nuff
Jul 06, 2019, 11:43 PM
Modeling Retread
BNF planes are a fundamental Spektrum strength. That leads people to become Spektrum flyers. Years ago, when Cessna quit building single engine planes I as a friend with Cessna why. He said, “When for people die in a Skylane they’re just as dead as four people in a Citation but our liability exposure is a lot higher because we can’t build it into the cost.” A few years later, after Cessna started building single engine planes again, I asked why again. He said, “When people learn to fly in a Cessna and move up to a jet they will buy a Citation. If they learn on something else, they might buy a Citation.”
Jul 07, 2019, 02:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Nuff is e nuff
Hughsey say amen brother!
Jul 07, 2019, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRW3
BNF planes are a fundamental Spektrum strength. That leads people to become Spektrum flyers. Years ago, when Cessna quit building single engine planes I as a friend with Cessna why. He said, “When for people die in a Skylane they’re just as dead as four people in a Citation but our liability exposure is a lot higher because we can’t build it into the cost.” A few years later, after Cessna started building single engine planes again, I asked why again. He said, “When people learn to fly in a Cessna and move up to a jet they will buy a Citation. If they learn on something else, they might buy a Citation.”
It is also their weakness as young people now are drawn toward the drones and fpv. Look at HH RTF offerings. Not a proper Spektrum Tx to be seen. Either Rise, Hitec? or e-flite/Blade game controllers (MLP4DSM) with hopeless low resolution. Some say DSMX compatible, but then you need to buy the satellite also. Their BNF offerings are better, but again it is not obvious what controller to buy. Right now if you buy a BNF drone with DSMX and have $100 for a Tx, you will probably end up with the Chinese J T8 as the best option. Spektrum need something that can compete with Taranis and Jumper. I believe that a upgraded Dxe in a T8 form factor with BT built in could be a good choice.
I also think the MLP4DSM style Tx is an environmental problem as it is not good enough quality for your second model. How many of these are laying around in drawers or just thrown away?
Jul 07, 2019, 08:01 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
It is also their weakness as young people now are drawn toward the drones and fpv. Look at HH RTF offerings. Not a proper Spektrum Tx to be seen. Either Rise, Hitec? or e-flite/Blade game controllers (MLP4DSM) with hopeless low resolution. Some say DSMX compatible, but then you need to buy the satellite also. Their BNF offerings are better, but again it is not obvious what controller to buy. Right now if you buy a BNF drone with DSMX and have $100 for a Tx, you will probably end up with the Chinese J T8 as the best option. Spektrum need something that can compete with Taranis and Jumper. I believe that a upgraded Dxe in a T8 form factor with BT built in could be a good choice.
I also think the MLP4DSM style Tx is an environmental problem as it is not good enough quality for your second model. How many of these are laying around in drawers or just thrown away?
Only the micro rtf’s come with batwing tx’s, all the larger ones including the new Aeroscout & both Apprentices come with DXe’s.

As soon as you get to something big enough to need more than a short range TX, HH supplies a DXe.
Last edited by mawz; Jul 07, 2019 at 09:45 AM.
Jul 07, 2019, 09:35 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn900
I like the ix12 size.
However I have multiple airplanes that use in excess of 12 ch.
if they did release a software patch to make the 12 an 18 I’d be in.
I also agree with the pricing remarks.
I will probably get an ix20 when they come out if the price is appropriate.
For me $1000 is a good line in the sand.
I don’t think I could justify spending more than that on a transmitter.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3&postcount=57

Quick Reply