Mar 24, 2020, 06:35 PM
T-Squared
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Hi Ron,

The DX20 should behave the same as the iX20. I don't have an iX20 to work with, but I do have a DX20 here at home (we're all working from home now).

When you set up your throttles, start with the switch in the linked (both operating) position (0 according to your post).

Adjust it to the center trim position. (That's the different beep tone vs. the others).

Now adjust each engine as you were doing, using the switch to select the engine and then adjust the trim for that engine.

When you flip the switch to the linked position, the common trim will be reset to 0 (center) and the throttle stick will take over.

When you adjust the trim in the linked position, the throttles are both adjusted by the same amount. If you trim upwards, both engines will adjust up.

When you flip to select an individual engine, the common trim will no longer be active, so only the engine-specific trim will be working. Both engines will return to their original trimmed position.

Do your throttle trim adjustments with the stick low. If you do it with the stick at anything but low, you will get funky behavior.

The linked trim is reset to center when switching from single- to linked-throttle mode, so it shouldn't jump. If it does, it means you didn't start from center with the individual engines.

Andy
Many thanks as always Andy.

My Scottish brain was approaching this from the wrong starting point...

I was thinking that I would start by using the linked (position 0) state to take all the throttles to minimum so as not to flood anything from a gravity feed of fuel and then bring them up one at a time as I was ready to start that engine.

It never occurred to me to set them all to idle and then take them to minimum one at a time.

Now that I understand how it works I'll be fine.

Thanks again.

Ron.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2020, 07:46 PM
FINALLY! The 637T is in stock, ordered one! Cant wait to test it out on the 74" Slick. Hopefully we get a 9ch AS3X rx in a 9350 package with forward programming too. Need one of those, been holding back on any other 9/10ch rx's till then.

Will be keeping an eye out on another batch of IX20's, I will be supporting the LHS when they get another in stock.
Mar 24, 2020, 08:22 PM
Old guy who plays with toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by quist
Your setup is fine as long as your AS3000 is mounted straight with the plane of flight. Gyros do not need to be on the centerline of the fuse.
The Spektrum manual would say otherwise.
Mar 25, 2020, 02:41 AM
Quote:
The channel processor supports the 2- and 3-position trims for throttle.
Learning something new every day. I love the 2-position trims on my DX9: +/neutral/-
Couldn't get hold on an IX20, yet. How do the 3-position trims work?
Based on the pictures, I thought they're just 2-position, too, but placed horizontally on the top ...

chris
Last edited by chris_0815; Mar 25, 2020 at 02:50 AM.
Mar 25, 2020, 04:40 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageScale
I don't interpret the wording that way. I think it relates to orientation, not position.
Mar 25, 2020, 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_0815
Learning something new every day. I love the 2-position trims on my DX9: +/neutral/-
Couldn't get hold on an IX20, yet. How do the 3-position trims work?
Based on the pictures, I thought they're just 2-position, too, but placed horizontally on the top ...

chris
You are confusing some things here I think, Chris.

Your DX9 supports these two trimmer mode also I believe.

Two position mode is -100%/+100% only. If you are somewhere in between when selecting the mode, then you might see a different value until you move the trimmer, then it will enter one of those 2 states.

-100%/0%/+100% is 3-position mode.

Instead of having lots of steps (which vary according to the 0-10 setting selection), you have only 2 or 3 positions.

The horizontal trimmers are just like the vertical trimmers, but rotated 90 degrees. That is, they offer the same options for step sizes, can be used in mixes, etc. They're additional trimmers, orthogonal to the rest of the trim behaviors.

Andy
Mar 25, 2020, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageScale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I don't interpret the wording that way. I think it relates to orientation, not position.
John is correct.

If the AS3000 were using the accels, it would need to be as close to the CG as possible. Since it's not, it only needs to be facing in the correct direction.

Andy
Mar 25, 2020, 10:19 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
LHS order placed, standing by, legendary kit requested
Mar 25, 2020, 01:22 PM
JETGREASER
Andy, can you set up the 2 & 3 position trim without having to use the flight mode switch. It would be nice to have that option in the Trim Step Common drop down box.
Mar 25, 2020, 02:04 PM
I don't understand. The 2/3 position trim is a throttle trim function. It has NO connection whatsoever to Flight Modes.

Andy
Mar 25, 2020, 03:26 PM
JETGREASER
Quote:
I don't understand. The 2/3 position trim is a throttle trim function. It has NO connection whatsoever to Flight Modes.

Andy

Andy, thank you, My bad. I just read it wrong. The way I understood it when I read it sounded like I had to set it with the Flight mode switch. All working great now. Thank you for your help and response.
Mar 25, 2020, 04:06 PM
Quote:
You are confusing some things here I think, Chris.
Sure I did

Quote:
Your DX9 supports these two trimmer mode also I believe.
Yes, it does, and I forgot to notice the keyword mode here. I've just learned about the trim modes "normal, 2-pos, and 3-pos",
as opposed to the physical function of the trim switch "+/neutral/-".

Since I am a heli flyer, I use the LTrD as a Gyro Trim for my heck gain. There it works like in the "normal" mode:
+ (increase) or - (decrease).

I've just created a new acro model to play with the other two modes. Now it's clear to me

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

chris
Mar 25, 2020, 04:09 PM
You need to get that DX9 book. The principles will be the same for the entire G2 line as well as the iX.

Andy
Mar 29, 2020, 06:31 AM
Woo hoo. I put a iX20 on back order at Horizon. The site says mid May. Should be fun. I guess my only concern is the larger size. I've gone from a Dx6 -> DX8 -> DX9 -> iX12 and they all were pretty similar sized. The 20 looks quite a bit bigger in the photos. I'll get used to it no matter what though.
Mar 29, 2020, 09:41 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsneakers
Woo hoo. I put a iX20 on back order at Horizon. The site says mid May. Should be fun. I guess my only concern is the larger size. I've gone from a Dx6 -> DX8 -> DX9 -> iX12 and they all were pretty similar sized. The 20 looks quite a bit bigger in the photos. I'll get used to it no matter what though.
It IS bigger.

I actually prefer the smaller size of the DX9 and iX12, but the iX20 functionality gives it the edge anyway. All my new models have gone onto the 20.

Quick Reply