Jan 25, 2021, 11:02 AM
Nick Radle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
Well, you could just follow the instructions. Would save a lot of grief.
Part of using android as the operating system is its intuitive nature, which I have come accustomed to in its 13+years of existence. Silly me. I would expect to look to horizon for knowledge on how to set up crow, or copy a flight condition from one model to another, sure. But when they switched to android ad their operating system I assumed the goal was to make the programming and updating process more familiar. Again, silly me.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 25, 2021, 11:05 AM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodywerks
Part of using android as the operating system is its intuitive nature, which I have come accustomed to in its 13+years of existence. Silly me. I would expect to look to horizon for knowledge on how to set up crow, or copy a flight condition from one model to another, sure. But when they switched to android ad their operating system I assumed the goal was to make the programming and updating process more familiar. Again, silly me.
What is intuitive to one person is not necessarily intuitive to another.

THAT is why they provide instructions.
Jan 25, 2021, 11:22 AM
nerd
The Google Play Store app may not be the most user friendly app.
You have to open the menu, tap "My Apps & Games". There you can select tabs, and the "Updates" tab shows all available updates to all your installed apps, including Airware. Just tap "Update All" to install. Or tap the circular arrow to refresh the list.
This is the Google Android method, still not sure what a HH or a logical method would be. You may have overcomplicated it all.
/A
Jan 25, 2021, 11:32 AM
Bodywerks
Your posts reflect what I first encountered with the iX12
I think It was assumed the purchasers had a certain level of comprehension Of computerized devices
Or, they were willing to learn how apps are accessed in computer systems
Or, the system was so intuitive , its operation would not present any real issues
Depending on who is looking , any or all of the assumptions may or may not apply
Fast forward to the iX20
Same basic setup except for one big difference
It operates much more quickly
This removed a big issue
Frustration
Prior radios we all used operated such that an input produced a response
The delays in the 12 were understandable if one was familiar with computer based apps and how they may respond
I had to do a crash course in learning what to expect or not expect
In the military, they called it on the job training
By the way, long ago , I conducted classes and seminars concerning maintenance and repair of industrial equipment
The first thing I learned was that we all learn dufferently
The starting point needed was not operating instructions
Sorry
Learning what to expect in the use and operation was far more important
Once this base was established, the instructions then made sense
Later on I audited classes at local university to see what may be new in the methods taught for learning the basics in math and.,algebra
Watching the expressions on students faces, it was apparent most were not able to follow the approaches being taught
Not because they were stupid
The approaces that instructor used were simply, not good
Last edited by richard hanson; Jan 25, 2021 at 12:06 PM.
Jan 25, 2021, 12:09 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Quote:
Well, if you follow that LOGICAL method you'll be in for the same headache as me. I used the Google Play Store. But first time I just looked for all the apps I had installed (silly me) and updated the apps that needed updating.
Didn't work.
Apparently, I had to assume I had NO apps installed and search for "ix20". And then miraculously I had an installed app that needed an update...
I guess 45 years is officially old. But I've been around smart phones long enough to know that the update process is so seamless that we often don't even know the system/ app has updated. How is that so hard to mimic in a toy transmitter that happens to use android as its operating system?
The iX12 has 2 parts, Android & Tx. Each has its' own processor. If you will, Airware update is like a 2nd computer update. The trade off is that if Android crashes you can still fly & land; but will miss out on Android functions like voice & screen.
Jan 25, 2021, 12:18 PM
Small consolation
Jan 25, 2021, 01:02 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
Bodywerks
Your posts reflect what I first encountered with the iX12
I think It was assumed the purchasers had a certain level of comprehension Of computerized devices
Or,

I found the update instructions quite clear even though it was my first Android device.

Of course, instructions are no good if you can't be bothered to read them.
Jan 25, 2021, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I found the update instructions quite clear even though it was my first Android device.

Of course, instructions are no good if you can't be bothered to read them.
A logical assumption
This brings up the observation, that a lot of time and money has been spent since the initial release of the iX 12 , to offer visuals and extensive additional operational info.
Were initial instructions not adequate ?
I suspect many new purchasers approached these tx, in the same manner as they did earlier tx
previously the approach was to Fire it up, see if if it makes sense ,then check the instructions if things are not clear
Historically, More common than uncommon approach to hobby devices
I have had over 50 tx of various brands and types and new technology along the way has always required some rethink
Remember the Futaba for Dummies?
Much like Windows for Dummies
Last edited by richard hanson; Jan 25, 2021 at 01:46 PM.
Jan 25, 2021, 02:16 PM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
A logical assumption
This brings up the observation, that a lot of time and money has been spent since the initial release of the iX 12 , to offer visuals and extensive additional operational info.
Were initial instructions not adequate ?
I suspect many new purchasers approached these tx, in the same manner as they did earlier tx
previously the approach was to Fire it up, see if if it makes sense ,then check the instructions if things are not clear
Historically, More common than uncommon approach to hobby devices
I have had over 50 tx of various brands and types and new technology along the way has always required some rethink
Remember the Futaba for Dummies?
Much like Windows for Dummies
he he, my futaba 9c could do so much but it felt at times like you needed a class in c++ to set a new plane up.
Jan 25, 2021, 04:48 PM

Individual cell voltage

I have a test bench setup using a 3S smart battery, Avian 45A ESC and AR637T and iX20 TX. I thought that on the Cell voltage screen that I should be able to see the individual cell voltage from the flight pack battery. What I am seeing is 0.00V for cells 1, 2,3. What do I need to do to see the individual cell voltage?

Thanks.
Jan 25, 2021, 07:30 PM
Sherman Knight
Quote:
I did the transfer over as a .spm file instead of .ispm and the models imported but I lost all audio event settings, flight mode names, etc. And because they are .spm I cannot just reprogram the stuff back in - it isn't even an option, if that makes any sense.
Surely this radio has the technology to make this simpler, no? I didn't do the SD card method because I don't have an SD card handy. But the method of file transfer should be insignificant I would think.
Help!!!
When you exported the iX12 file as a .spm file, it stripped out all the audio and a bunch of other things out of the file. Voices are handled through android and its text to speach editor. Spm files (DX radios) use a completly different method of creating voices so none of the voices transfer in this situation. Go back and export the file as an ispm file and try it again.

Sherman Knight
Jan 25, 2021, 07:57 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
The DX -> ix import could conceivably handle the audio. The DX radios use canned voice alerts, but Horizon knows what they all are, and could easily insert the text equivalent when importing in to the Android radios. But they don't.

Going the other way, ix -> DX not so much. ix radio features are a superset of DX, so going to a DX would require the conversion to discard some stuff (like voice settings).

SPM is the DX file format, iSPM is the ix file format. So if you generate a SPM on an ix radio, some elements of the model configuration have to be discarded to do that.
Jan 26, 2021, 02:28 AM
Hi, new in here. Just received my iX20 and updated the firmware. I saw in here a while back people talking about the micro SD cards. Do we still need some sort of android program to install and working in the background? I'd like to import my models from my DX-18 Gen2 if possible.

The micro SD card, should it be formatted into what format? The SD card in the DX18 was fat16. On my iMac I only see Fat32 as an option or possible ExFAT (for Mac/pc users).
Jan 26, 2021, 07:56 AM
You don't need a SD card for the iX20 to transfer the models. Just use the 'PC File transfer'.

Like this LINK

I exported from my DX18qq to the SD. Then from the SD to my laptop and from my laptop via Edge to the iX20.
Jan 26, 2021, 12:16 PM
Not able to get a mix working.

P-Mix1: SPL>LAL with a curve set to 0 in all modes but landing. In the landing curve when I pull down the flaps (throttle) it should give me 16% down travel on the ailerons. I get zero movement on the ailerons. If I set the mix to SPL>RAL then I get the ailerons going in different directions. So it is doing as is should. Set it back to >LAL and no movement again.

I have the throttle set up in the camber system to become a spoiler stick when it is moved below 92%.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply