Jul 07, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krismoe
SpektrumRC needs to wake up. R&D is what is costing money. They cant spread out on a large range of models. Keep the DXe. Cut price on DX8e and DX9 to the $149 and $249 mark. Drop the rest of the DX line. Put iX12 (and later mii) to the $499 mark, and the new iX20 to $999. In addition they could sell it with the DX20 aluminum gimbals at a higher price. If they add a software upgrade at $249 to make the iX12 18 channel, the line would be complete. Keeping the pricing they have will destroy their sales in few years. Look at the new Jumper T16 at $149 and the Taranis delivering 24 channels and hall sensor gimbals for $120. The open TX environment that before was for the inner circle of geeks, is becoming as easy to use as Spektrum, and will take over the market if to compete only with equipment four times as expensive. Also Futaba has a say by putting the 16SZ at $800. If Spektrum prices its iX20 to $1399 or $1499 it need some rather convincing features if anyone should buy this instead of the 16SZ or 18SZ.

The future of SpektrumRC is pretty much decided by their coming price strategy. Too many grate companies has disappeared because of trying to compensate lower sales with higher prices, instead of increasing volume by reducing price to meet competition.

Spektrum might still be strong in the age 50+ segment where I belong, but with the new generations entering the sport, it is Taranis as far as the eye can see. I cant see how Spektrum could ęblameĽ them either as there is no Spektrum alternative to the Q X7 or 9X Lite Pro. I might be wrong but I am afraid Iím not.
I'm impressed with your insights and suggested price points without regard to manufacturing/marketing costs; why don't you start your own RC hobby radio line, I'm sure it would be most successful......
to remove ads between posts
Jul 07, 2019, 10:29 PM
I would think that the price would be similar to what a dx18 was and if it comes with cnc gimbals expect a dx20 price tag
Jul 08, 2019, 06:25 AM
im thinking more like $1899
Jul 08, 2019, 06:47 AM
Hmmm... Screen not on top. Unfortunately don't like it. Ugh.
Jul 08, 2019, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndividualWon
Hmmm... Screen not on top. Unfortunately don't like it. Ugh.
Should be watching the airplane, not the screen...
Jul 08, 2019, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborn900
Unfortunately it seems common sense doesnít prevail in 2019.

And as per Internet forums, folk will only find a ton of reasons to hate on it anyway.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:09 AM
Quote:
LOL

I think that's the purpose of the audio alerts. Most don't care where the screen is because they only look at it when the radio is on the table.

&Yeah, the quad bearing CNC gimbals with some Hall Effect sensors would make me consider this radio. Even if its a bit more than dX20, if not, I'll stick with my iX12.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:17 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
The biggest win for screen on the top is you can see the screen better when programming or testing at the bench.

The main downside is that it greatly complicates the antenna engineering.

I fly a screen on the top radio (Horus X12S) and I rarely glance at the screen in flight, only occasional quick checks of the timer, which I also do with my screen on the bottom radios. This works better with screen on the top, but is a pretty minor usage.

I'll freely admit, I'd rather the iX20 be screen on the top. But that's not the design language Spektrum goes for. Who knows, maybe we'll eventually see an iX20t with screen on the top for the Euro market.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:19 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowace
im thinking more like $1899
I doubt that.

Less fancy gimbals & case than the DX20 but more physical controls, and the iX12 came in right at the price point one would have expected if it was a 12ch in the DX series, Spektrum has not yet priced an Android based radio at a premium purely for the Android bits.

I'm betting on the $1199-1399 range, where the DX20 sat.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:50 AM
If you are a glider guy, you may like the wider stick spread needed
But otherwise a smaller hand held config is going to appeal to larger audience
The screen as is looks fine to me and the sticks if only the same as the 12, again, just fine
Aluminum gimbals look good , but @ccuracy , really, no better
Put costs where they count
Having used the tray dx18 a fair bit, the wider ,shorter config is no good for hand held
Compromises are what make for winners, this setup looks lik a good set of em.
Jul 08, 2019, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom 3D
the quad bearing CNC gimbals with some Hall Effect sensors would make me consider this radio.
it features hall effect sensors though.
Jul 08, 2019, 09:02 AM
So what?
Have you experience to show they perform better
Not second hand info
Experience
Jul 08, 2019, 10:01 AM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
So what?
Not second hand info
Experience
Hall Effect sensors do not suffer from the wear effects that will affect regular pots over the lifetime of the gimbals. They also suffer less from centering errors (for much the same reason, no wiper drag).

Is it a big difference? Nope.

Is it noticeable?

Maybe, as it depends on which exact gimbals you are comparing. I noticed a large difference when comparing my DX6G3 to the M9 Hall Effect gimbals in my Taranis X9D+, the M9's were smoother, more accurate and did not suffer from Throttle stiction. That said, the JR gimbals in my DX18G1 were very close to the M9's in feel (the M9's still seemed a tad smoother & more precise with small movements).

Is it a 'must buy feature' not at all. The gimbal design is FAR more important than the type of sensor used.
Jul 08, 2019, 10:18 AM
My feelings too
I swapped original 18 gimbals for the later easier to adjust types now used
The originals were jr
I think the firm center springing on the jr sticks was interpreted as better, by some
Subjective results are often looked at as objective
Human nature
Look for results which affirm your own thoughts
The dx18 traysticks are good but unless you use them with two fingers and a light touch they feel weird
I built tray radios using the. Good Proline sticks
They were good but I far prefer the ones in my iX 12 or DX 9 etc..
The tension curve on sticks makes a huge difference.
Person feel is personal feel
Not an objective thing
Having done some blind tests on stick settings, I simply leave settings to the owner
Jul 08, 2019, 03:05 PM
Stand by here come banana
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson
So what?
Not second hand info
Experience
Yup, Hughsey see digital hall gimble in betaflight and accuracy 100%. Each stick move to exactly 1000 - 1500 -2000.

Hughsey also see pot gimble accuracy 96% but after 1 year 94%.

Just what Hughsey see!

Quick Reply